GOOD NEWS

Bill.S
Bill.S Member Posts: 177
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Back to work Wednesday 7/30/08. Had a Herceptin infusion this morning asked nurse to relay message to onc. that one way or the other I needed an answer today and wasn't going home with out a decission.(remember he took a weeks vacation last week). Already cleared by my surgeon a week ago.
Drove to my job and handed my manager the 2 releases so Wednesday I return.
Of course next Monday I have my 2nd cocktail which could land me on my butt but I will just have to take it a day at a time.
Love to all and NO I am NEVER leaving this discussion group.
Because my hair has started falling out, tomorrow I go to my barber and have it cut off with his electric clippers- no blades. My platelet count is very low-74- so I could bleed to death if he nicks me. good news is my WBC is very high -11.8-so at least I wouldn't get an infection while bleeding to death.
Bill S 56 yr young MAN who HAD breast cancer

Comments

• Bill, first of all congrats. on returning to work! Secondly, you have a great sense of humor! Good luck on wednesday, but take it easy, ok? Hugs to you. Eileen
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Way to go, Bill. I hope chemo is as easy for you as it was for me. They told me to rest and get enough water and protein for low platelet count.

Take care, seof
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Way to go, Bill. I hope chemo is as easy for you as it was for me. They told me to rest and get enough water and protein for low platelet count.

Take care, seof
  • tan39
    tan39 Member Posts: 49
    hi Bill,
    i think your sense of humour will play a big part in getting you through this, and you are so right to take each treatment day at a time, its all you can do, i always tried to predict how my next chemo would effect me but could never quite nail it !!. big hug, xx
  • Excellent!!! Be good to yourself. Take the short cuts where you find them for awhile.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Kudos to you Bill, what great news. Now you will look like Bruce, yum. Have a great day back to work and Bill, we don't want you to leave this discussion board. I look forward to seeing your postings every time I log in. You have a GREAT attitude. Hugs, Lili
  • Bill.S
    I don't intend on going anywhere and thank you all for your support. I have a year's worth of chemo to go.One day/week at a time.
    So now that I am going to look like Bruce Willis---- how many single women are going to want to bed me ? vs how many married women are going to want to bed me ???? let's make this a contest. OK ????
    I've never seen myself without hair- this is going to be a new experience for me as this entire road trip has been. I will be posting some new pics on my site tomorrow after the hair cut..... www.caringbridge.org/visit/abelincoln

My bigest problem is that I'm feeling GOOD. Minor side effects from first chemo .
    What will the future hold??? Don't know,,,,Don't care..... Today is where I'm at and today is very good for me.
    Wishes???? YES i wish that we all didn't have to be here but we are so let's make the best of it.
    Loving every one of you.
    Bill S 56 yr young MAN who HAD breast cancer and is now on the road to recovery---- survivor.
  • Bill.S said:

I don't intend on going anywhere and thank you all for your support. I have a year's worth of chemo to go.One day/week at a time.
    So now that I am going to look like Bruce Willis---- how many single women are going to want to bed me ? vs how many married women are going to want to bed me ???? let's make this a contest. OK ????
    I've never seen myself without hair- this is going to be a new experience for me as this entire road trip has been. I will be posting some new pics on my site tomorrow after the hair cut..... www.caringbridge.org/visit/abelincoln

My bigest problem is that I'm feeling GOOD. Minor side effects from first chemo .
    What will the future hold??? Don't know,,,,Don't care..... Today is where I'm at and today is very good for me.
    Wishes???? YES i wish that we all didn't have to be here but we are so let's make the best of it.
    Loving every one of you.
    Bill S 56 yr young MAN who HAD breast cancer and is now on the road to recovery---- survivor.

Hey, baldie. If you came to this site just to pick up women, I want you to know you came to the right place! What a joy it is to have your posts. Congrats on going back to work. Being a nurturing sort I want to give you permission to be less than Superman. I worked all through my chemo, BUT I often went into a closet we have in our classroom and cried for a while, then came back out again, ready to go. Make sure that you have a "closet" somewhere where you can feel safe falling apart. And rest. Then, back to Superman!
    By the way, you may have a year's worth of herceptin, but compared to taxol herceptin is dessert. No side effects (just watch the heart, they will give you a muga test).
    love, Joyce
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Bill.S said:

Loving every one of you.

I personally think bald men are sexy....

Hugs, Kathi
  • Bill.S
    unknown said:

Hey, baldie. If you came to this site just to pick up women, I want you to know you came to the right place! What a joy it is to have your posts. Congrats on going back to work. Being a nurturing sort I want to give you permission to be less than Superman. I worked all through my chemo, BUT I often went into a closet we have in our classroom and cried for a while, then came back out again, ready to go. Make sure that you have a "closet" somewhere where you can feel safe falling apart. And rest. Then, back to Superman!
    By the way, you may have a year's worth of herceptin, but compared to taxol herceptin is dessert. No side effects (just watch the heart, they will give you a muga test).
    love, Joyce

I'm not here to pick up women. I'm here to recover from this nasty canser **** that has taken so many of us unawares. I just like to kid around a little while looking for my next wife who will hopefully also be a Breast Cancer Survivor who has not decided to undergo reconstructive surgery.
    I like my scars and I will love yours too.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS
    Love to all and good night
    Bill S very tired young man and going to try to sleep
  • tan39
    tan39 Member Posts: 49
    Bill.S said:

I'm not here to pick up women. I'm here to recover from this nasty canser **** that has taken so many of us unawares. I just like to kid around a little while looking for my next wife who will hopefully also be a Breast Cancer Survivor who has not decided to undergo reconstructive surgery.
    I like my scars and I will love yours too.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS
    Love to all and good night
    Bill S very tired young man and going to try to sleep

I have to agree, cant wait to see the pic. love bald men.
    xx
  • Bill.S
    unknown said:

love, Joyce

Had a muga scan pre chemo as a base line. Never did find out any results--- guess that is a good thing. Actually was fun just laying there on the table while this big camera thing hovered overhead It was kind of scary that the stuff he injected into me was in a lead container to keep the radiation from killing him yet he injected it into me.
    Bill
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    You rock, Bill.S!!!! This is a club none of us wanted to join~ yet who knew we would be so awesome???!!! Dare I say this is one place we can let our hair down? Ok, everyone, Groan in unison! :-)

On a slightly serious note, Bill, do pay attention to your body...chemo has a way of sneaking up on us and making us really, really tired. Listen to what your body is saying and act accordingly.

You will look fabulous as the new improved Bruce Willis! Oh...one more thing before I forget! Chemo can also make us forgetful~ kinda Alzheimer-y in a way. Very frustrating, concentration levels down, etc. I had a hard time reading and comprehending~ even mind-candy novels were over my head at times. It is a true side-effect known as "Chemo-Brain" and it does, for the most part, reverse it self after treatment. But if you don't know it may happen, it can be very unnerving. My b/f is Native American, so of course I didn't have Chemo-Brain, I had Kemo-Sabe Brain!

We look forward to your posts!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    Good news and with the lack of hair, it is much cooler in this hot weather. You also save on all hair products. You might consider some type of a cap because I found with the airconditioner, it does get drafty in restaurants sometimes. Keep up the cocktail hour....it will pass. Kudos for you and drink lots and lots of water during treatment.
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    Good news and with the lack of hair, it is much cooler in this hot weather. You also save on all hair products. You might consider some type of a cap because I found with the airconditioner, it does get drafty in restaurants sometimes. Keep up the cocktail hour....it will pass. Kudos for you and drink lots and lots of water during treatment.
  • Bill.S
    Worked 12-9 today. My **** is draging but I made it through.12-9 again tomorrow and then 9-6 through the end of next week. 9-6 means that there will be 3 of us so if I get too tired I can rest or leave if necessary..Good night