just diagnosed

Options
AmyLauren79
AmyLauren79 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just found out I had breast cancer. I am 29 and married. I really dont know what to say except I am scared and on an emotional rollercoaster ride. I will be getting a port soon and then chemo. I have to wait to have surgery and they are talking a double mastectomy. I am just really freaked out and would like to meet some people to talk to that have gone through this.

Comments

• mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Dearest Amy - my heart goes out to you and your family. You must be devastated and frigthened. I know because I've been there, just as everyone on this site has. But, you have come to the right place. This website has some of the most insightful and caring people you will ever encounter. Many of them have fought the beast and are long term survivors. Some have just now completed treatment and others, like you, are newly diagnosed. We will all try to help you as best we can. This is a scary time for you and your family but try to remain positive. Once you start your treatment, your battle will start and you will begin to beat this beast called breast cancer. Please know that we will be here for you. Hugs, Marilynn
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    As mgm said, you are absolutely in the right place~ I can't think of a better place for empathy, support and help to get you through this. And yes, you WILL get through this! We are a large, brave, strong group of women ( and a man too!!!) who not only never wanted to be here, but who now sit on your rollercoaster, and we won't get off until YOUR ride is over, and you are accompanying a new one through the journey. We know the fear, the anger, the denial---you name it, we have been there!

For the record, I am a 5 year survivor...and you will find yourself to be as well!

Welcome to the Club you never wanted to join~ we will take good care of you so that you can "pay it forward".

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hi, Amy. I wrote a letter like yours about 9 months ago. The love and help from the girls and guy (and don't you ever leave us Bill) here got me through some tough times, a lot of questions and still help me. I will check often to see how you are and read your posts to see if there is any way I can help. Take it one day at a time. You will make it! love to you, sweetie, Joyce
  • scaraher
    scaraher Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi Amy I am 29 as well and I was diagnosed in February. My heart goes out to you because I know all to well. The people on this site are great they always give encouragement and answer my questions it is great. Any time you need to talk feel free to email me through the website and I will gladly talk to you. Hearing this diagnosis is so hard and especially when you are "to young" I bet you heard that one too. I will kepp you in my prayers and remember if ever you need to talk to someone who "is too young" I am here just email me through the site.
    Stephanie
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hello Amy. So sorry. God's blessings.
    I was diagnosed at age 38 in 1986. Do the math. :)
    I turned 60 this summer. I lost both breasts in the process and chose not to have reconstruction.
    Amy, this is going to be a real rough spot in your life but you will get through it and come out on the other side stronger than you ever expected to be. And life will be good again.
  • Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Hi Amy, You are so young to have to go through this but the ladies here are a fantastic support group. There are a few other sites like www.breastcancer.org but I like this one better.
    I was "diagnosed" while on the operating table having a lumpectomy. My surgeon told me that this was a possibility. I ended up with a modified radical mast. got port started chemo 7/14 and now my hair is just starting to fall out.I'm going to be another Yul Brenner for a while.
    Keep the faith and stay involved here. I know u were in chat last night- that's good.
    Luv ya sister
    Bill S 56 yr old MAN who HAD BC --survivor !!!
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Your feelings of fear and confusion are normal for cancer survivors. You and your family need help to get through this. No one can do it alone. I have great support through family and church. Also, this is a very good site, as everyone has said. American Cancer Society also has local chapters that can help you find a support group in your area where you can meet face-to-face with a group, if you want to. They can also help with transportation, and a group called "look good, feel better" which is a support group that focuses on emotional and cosmetic aspects of being a cancer survivor. chemocare.com is a good website to look up specific drugs and their side effects.

Your are in our prayers, seof
  • ninjamom
    ninjamom Member Posts: 142
    Options
    Amy

Like you, 4 months ago I posted a note like yours. There is not much I can add to everyones reply. Stay positive, keep coming to this site, you will get thru this. Will keep you in our prayers.
  • Amy, Boy, when I was diagnosed at 42, the docs kept saying I was young for breast cancer but I can't even imagine being your age at diagnosis----what a shock. I know it is incredibly scarey, but this is the scariest time. You are in shock, confused and probably feeling panicky. Hang in there, let others help you. Try to be around people that are positive minded and supportive and you will make it through. This group is wonderful and visit often. The chat room is great because everyone is willing to share their experiences, advice, and most importantly; their success stories:o) Blessings, Eileen
  • tan39
    tan39 Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Amy, all i can say is stick with this chat room, ask anything that is on your mind and you are sure to get an answer. You will be sick of this but "stay positive"and keep a sense of humour it will get you through. I looked at it as a start to a new life. remember, everyone from this wonderful chat room is here for you. stay strong, big hug.xx
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Dearest Amy: So sorry to have to welcome you here to this board because it means you to are fighting the beast. But welcome, I am sure that right now you are very frightened as I've also been in your shoes but stay calm and positive as you will beat this. You've come to the right place for advice and support. There is an incredible group of women and our friend Bill who are wonderful people and are here to hear us vent, complain, ask for advice and to rejoice on good news. Good luck to you in your battle, and to also let you know that you can go to live chat and talk to other survivors as well. Best of luck to you , you will be in my prayers and keep posting. I was diagnosed last year and had a radical mastectomy with tram flap reconstruction. I finished my chemo in November and did my reconstruction this past February. I will be going back on Aug. 13th to finish the reconstruction. If you have any questions, just post them on this board and we will all be happy to help in any way we can. Hugs to you, Lili
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy,

I was very recently diagnosed and my heart truly goes out to you. I spent the first three weeks after the dx, just spinning in circles from sheer panic.
    Fortunately for me, I found this site! Everyone here has been so wonderful...honest but encouraging! Just all amazing folks!
    MRI shows a "suspicious" lesion in my other breast also. Going for MRI guided biopsy on that side tomorrow. So I may end up with double mastectomy. I will know when I get to the hospital next week for mastectomy on the right.
    The fear can be overwhelming and I found that I was either laughing or crying, but no happy medium, it seems.
    What has gotten me this far is wonderful family support, great friends and the lovely people here. And of course God. I have asked him for strength to face whatever I need to face, and He has come through for me.
    Another thing that has helped me is just getting a date to start treatment. All of the waiting and worrying is just about over, and it is time to get this show on the road, so to speak.
    Just keep coming here and talking. We will get through this together...

CR
  • AmyLauren79
    AmyLauren79 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for your thoughts. Whenever i start to get down, I just come here and read your messages. They touch my heart and do make me feel better. It's good to know that I am one of many! Anyways, thankyou