Starting Chemo soon

Options
1buster1
1buster1 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've recently had a double mastectomy for lobular CA. and will receive Taxotere & Cyclophosphamide IV for total of 4 doses. Any suggestions on what to expect/look for?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The easiest way to locate ...
    Dear 1buster1,

The easiest way to locate other CSN members with similar experiences is to type keywords (such as "breast cancer," "chemotherapy," "double mastectomy," etc.) on the search bar at the top of the home page. You can refine your search by clicking on the “Advance search” link listed underneath the search field. The major categories of content on CSN are blogs, discussion boards, personal pages, etc. For example, if you are looking for a specific posting on a discussion board, you can limit your search to discussion boards only by clicking on the "discussion" and "advanced search" button at the bottom of the "advanced search" box. Remember that you must be logged on if you want to post anything on a discussion boards, view personal pages, use the chat room, etc.

Cordially,
    Your CSN Staff
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    The problem is it hits
    The problem is it hits everyone different. The last thing I would want to do is describe a side effect and scare you. Especially if you don't get it! Or, tell you that everything is easy and have you be dissapointed. You will, though, indeed lose your hair and usually about two weeks afterwards. You will lose it everywhere, though sometimes not every last piece. As far as how you feel, I can't say. If it encourages you to hear that it is not always terrible, I was able to work everyday during my TX (although somedays I went into the classroom closet and cried and one day fell asleep). What I always to like to caution is that your emotions can be a little overwhelming. I honestly think that the chemo affects us in an already fragile state, tipping the scale. So, please be as sweet, kind, forgiving, and indulgent to yourself as you can. And when the particulars of your experience manifest themselves, know that someone here will have walked that path and we are always here to help and support. Write anything, anytime.
    For now, accept my heartfelt wishes for an easy journey. Remember, you are HEALING your body when you are undergoing chemo. Even though it may not always feel like it! love, Joyce
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    Chemo
    Chemo is different for each person, however it is always important to ensure that you get a lot of rest and that you drink a lot of fluids after your treatment. In most cases as the treatments go on you will get more tired and need more rest. Some people get a metal taste in their mouth that makes eating less enjoyable, one way to help lessen this is to eat with sturdy plastic forks which puts less metal in your mouth and lessens the metal taste a little. Also, of course you will lose your hair so you may want to get a wig and a few hats or scarfs in preparation. Since you will lose your hair in the colder months it is important to keep your head covered when you sleep since we lose a lot of our body warmth through our head. Chemo tends to lessen your ability to fight off infection so it is important to take your temperature often so that you will know early if an infection is lurking. I purchased a nice digital thermometer that was accurate and easy to use. We are here for you buster and wish you the best. Be sure to post and ask any questions you may have. Many hugs to you!

RE
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    Options
    There are side effects from
    There are side effects from most medicines and everyone reacts differently. I was told in the beginning to not "expect" anything even though I knew what the possible side effects were. That's probably the best advice that I received. I had minor problems with digestive tract, mouth irritation, occasional tiredness and, of course, loss of hair. I just finished second round of T/C and it was not any worse than the first. Eat right, drink fluids and get plenty of rest. Good luck!
  • kew
    kew Member Posts: 24
    Options
    The Actual Session
    Before my chemo I was so incredibly nervous about the actual chemo session. That turned out to be an absolutely unnecessary worry!!

In my case, and I assume this is normal, they medicate you with several (I think I counted 10 one time) drugs BEFORE the chemo. It's like the actual chemo meds are just about the last thing. Those pre-medications are so nice, make you feel relaxed and a little sleepy.

I think that chemo nurses must be a special type person. They were so friendly, kind, and compassionate. They made going for chemo almost (not quite) enjoyable. I would sit in the recliner with one of my best friends in the room with me and we'd talk for 5 hours or so. How often do you get the chance to just sit and talk to girlfriends??? And the nurses were so good about getting me a snack or a drink or a pillow.

Take a light blanket with you. I got a really bright, soft one and it really comforted me.

Don't eat any of your favorite foods during chemo--in my case it made me have NO appetite for that food in the future. I'm just now, 6 months later, getting over that!

You'll do great!!!

kew