support in the flesh

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Wow, today I went to a "real" support group with people in the same room. And I want all of you wonderful ladies and Bill to know how much I appreciate you for making this site my real support group. Here, whenever I read posts and responses, I am aware of how much we take care of each other and I feel you all closer than physical. There is a Jewish saying, what comes from the heart goes to the heart. So, here it may go through cyberspace on the way, but it always finds its way back to the heart. I am lucky to have met all of you. LOVE - Joyce

Comments

• babebussie
    babebussie Member Posts: 150
    Options
    Wow, a real group! How was it? When i first started out back in January, my family thought it best that i join a support group but i didnt feel the same way. Since i've been talking to people such as yourself Joyce I have felt more support and love via this site than i could have ever gotten from a live group of people. This is working fine for me. If people find that sitting in a filled room with alot of people talking about thier experiences with this disease helps them deal then much luv to them. I'm staying right here.
    Welcome home Joyce!!!!
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Wow, a real group! How was it? When i first started out back in January, my family thought it best that i join a support group but i didnt feel the same way. Since i've been talking to people such as yourself Joyce I have felt more support and love via this site than i could have ever gotten from a live group of people. This is working fine for me. If people find that sitting in a filled room with alot of people talking about thier experiences with this disease helps them deal then much luv to them. I'm staying right here.
    Welcome home Joyce!!!!

Right now this site is doing what I need in terms of support. However, there have been times that I found a group with arms for even more support. When I had had cancer for about two years and my family had kind of moved on emotionally but I still needed to talk about issues the group helped out a lot. Also I learned a lot of survivor issues and what to do about them in that group. I have kind of an informal group of friends that are survivors at church, but there is also a formal support group in town with the Wellness Community. I can't say enough great things about them. They are free, they chair the group with a trained social worker, and they deal with the emotional issues of cancer diagnosis. The local hospital has a group too centered on medical issues. That is where I would go during chemo for support. But right now, I'm just here.
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful sentiment. From my heart to yours. Love, The Hampster
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    My hospital also had a support group but I was afraid that I would get depressed listening to how bad others had it while I was having an easier time of it. Not that cancer is easy, but there are others out there that are having a very rough time going through it. I was very glad to have happened on to this site and met so many wonderful survivors. Your words, wisdom and experience have helped me and many others get through this. Love you, Joyce. Lili
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options
    mgm42 said:

What a beautiful sentiment. From my heart to yours. Love, The Hampster

This has been the greatest support group I could ever imagine. I didn't know about this till after I had my mastectomy and reconstruction. I have met more amazing ladies and gentlemen who are going through a rough time and everyone has been so supportive. The knowledge some of you ladies have is truely amazing! I will be an 8 year survivor in Sept. and still look foward to coming to this site several times a day and reading all the posts.Back in the beginning, I felt very connected to many amazing women , a few,whom I still chat with on a regular basis. I am a quiet observer now, but, I am here daily so I still feel connected but in a different way. Thank you all for your support and knowledge. You're an amazing group. HUGS!!! Cathy
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Aside from my sweet Reggie, the only REAL "support in the flesh" that I need is an up-lift bra and control top panties!
    As glib and silly as I am with words, in actuality I am a shy woman, full of insecurities, and not at all likely to find myself in a support group. I LOVE that I can be here with no make-up, crying or laughing, and barefoot at 2AM! Why?? Because I know that you are here too, if not at 2AM, at least by the time I check back in to see who has posted. You are all like a favorite TV show, or a great book~ I cannot wait to see what our next chapter is!

I adore the fact that I can actually think about how I feel, and contemplate what I want to say, and OMG~ preview it before I hit Post It!

You have seen me say before that I am so honored to be among such an intelligent, insightful, empathetic group of Survivors....I cannot imagine that a live group of men and women could ever come close to being who you all are to me.

I love you all dearly.

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Where can I get one of those up lift bras ????
    I'm glad to be here with the rest of you cancer survivors even if you are all women..Heck I'd rather spend my time with you than anywhere else on this earth. You are the BEST.
    Don't need control top panties.
    Bill S
  • kit45
    kit45 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Bill.S said:

I'm glad to be here with the rest of you cancer survivors even if you are all women..Heck I'd rather spend my time with you than anywhere else on this earth. You are the BEST.
    Bill S

kudos to all of you who have helped me through this battle. I have several treatments to go but your knowledge and support means the world. Kit
  • Thanks to all of you for echoing my feelings. I sure don't ever want to say anything negative about any support group...but at this site I don't feel the limelight pressure that this one experience with an open forum gave me. Seems like people were just anxious to talk, or to think of the next thing they could say, rather than really respond. The group was for all types of C and I have to say this guilty secret - It felt so good just to have breast cancer. Though we certainly can complain about losing our breast real estate it is also really nice to have the dang beast cut off, and out, of me rather than on an inner rampage with my organs. Another nice thing about this group is that when I have the need to share, I can just fire up the computer. Without this immediacy, I think feelings have a way of growing in scope till the next "session" when they are just a little oversized for polite conversation. And Chen, I totally agree..thank goodness for the preview button. My mouth has been looking for such a safeguard for many years...Joyce
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Bill.S said:

Bill S

Well, Bill, there is Jodee, a mail order place for mastectomy bras and seeing as you have had one, the number is 1-800-821-2767. Can't say that I've seen any male models in the book, but you could volunteer to be the first!

; )

C. Abbott
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    unknown said:

Thanks to all of you for echoing my feelings. I sure don't ever want to say anything negative about any support group...but at this site I don't feel the limelight pressure that this one experience with an open forum gave me. Seems like people were just anxious to talk, or to think of the next thing they could say, rather than really respond. The group was for all types of C and I have to say this guilty secret - It felt so good just to have breast cancer. Though we certainly can complain about losing our breast real estate it is also really nice to have the dang beast cut off, and out, of me rather than on an inner rampage with my organs. Another nice thing about this group is that when I have the need to share, I can just fire up the computer. Without this immediacy, I think feelings have a way of growing in scope till the next "session" when they are just a little oversized for polite conversation. And Chen, I totally agree..thank goodness for the preview button. My mouth has been looking for such a safeguard for many years...Joyce

I too love this site for the immediate answers to "everything". I've gone on chat rooms and and have found them talking about everything BUT breast CA. Some. while not the ACS site, were very snarky and way off subject--- heck, I can get that at the supermarket. BUT, I found an absolutely great breast CA group in my small town. It's extremely supportive, there is always someone to call, and the support and hugs at the meetings are immeasurable. I have heard that you need to go to a couple of meetings before you decide if it's for you. I guess I got lucky!
    Thank you all for being ready to give great advice from experience and the heart---and at 2am in your pj's ;>}
    ((((BIG HUGS)))))