Sorry for being pest!!!

Options
babebussie
babebussie Member Posts: 150
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have another question. Whats the ER/PR positive or negitive mean. I dont understand all that stuff and how does estrogen play a part in that stuff. And what does tamoxifen have to do with it.
I'm crazy confused and cant wait to see my onc.on the 5th. Sometimes coming to this site is scary as well as helpful. WHEW!!!!!

Comments

• cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    That is a good question to ask. Cancer cells are regular breast cells that have gone crazy. If you saw pictures of breast cancer cells next to regular cells, you could quickly tell the differnce with very little training. The black nucli in the center of the cells are odd shaped and the cell shaped gets weird looking. But even smaller than the eye can see is how the cell is working. Some cancer cells have little receptors on them that match up to estrogen and/or progesteron. I hope I spelled those right. Those two things are hormones that naturally occur in a woman's body along with lots of other hormones. The cancer cells that have receptors for estrogen are called ER+ or estrogen postive. That means that estrogen is able to fuel the growth of those cells. PR+ means progesteron positive. If cancer cells test out ER+ then a drug like Tamoxifen is effective in filling the ER receptors and blocking the body's estrogen. That cuts of the strong fuel that powers the cancer cell's growth. The cells will not grow then and maybe will even die. This is great! I asked about meds for PR+, but I haven't gotten an answer on that. ER+/PR+ cancer also is responsive to aromatase inhibitors like Arimidex, Aromosin, and such. These hormone treatments can only be used on ER+/PR+ cancers AFTER menapause. They lower the amount of estrogen in the body made by your andrenal glands (found near your kidneys I believe) and by your body fat. The aromatase inhibitors won't stop your ovaries from pouring estrogen into your body. Estrogen is not all bad. It also powers most of the feminine changes in your body. It strengthens your bones and protects your heart. Tamoxifen just blocks it from powering the breast cancer cells. Unfortunately, after about two and a half to five years, the breast cancer mutates or progresses into a form that powers its growth from Tamoxifen. By stopping the Tamoxifen at five years, that cancer stops growing. That's why they recommend that you only use Tamoxifen for five years and then quit. Now we can switch to the other treatments, at least after the ovaries shut down.
  • Unknown
    Options
    If your tumor is er+(estrogen) and/or pr+(progesterin) that means that it(the tumor) was fueled by those hormones. Tamoxifen "plugs" the receptors on the surface of the cancer cells so that they(the cells) cannot feed on the hormones and therefore die off.
  • babebussie
    Options
    I so understand that now. Thank you so much for clearing that up for me Cabbott/Eil...but, what does the percentage part mean. For instance being 96% or 99% for one or the other
  • Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I'm triple positive ER+.PR+ and HER2/neu + arnt I lucky.
    Bill S.
  • tan39
    tan39 Member Posts: 49
    Options
    cabbott said:

That is a good question to ask. Cancer cells are regular breast cells that have gone crazy. If you saw pictures of breast cancer cells next to regular cells, you could quickly tell the differnce with very little training. The black nucli in the center of the cells are odd shaped and the cell shaped gets weird looking. But even smaller than the eye can see is how the cell is working. Some cancer cells have little receptors on them that match up to estrogen and/or progesteron. I hope I spelled those right. Those two things are hormones that naturally occur in a woman's body along with lots of other hormones. The cancer cells that have receptors for estrogen are called ER+ or estrogen postive. That means that estrogen is able to fuel the growth of those cells. PR+ means progesteron positive. If cancer cells test out ER+ then a drug like Tamoxifen is effective in filling the ER receptors and blocking the body's estrogen. That cuts of the strong fuel that powers the cancer cell's growth. The cells will not grow then and maybe will even die. This is great! I asked about meds for PR+, but I haven't gotten an answer on that. ER+/PR+ cancer also is responsive to aromatase inhibitors like Arimidex, Aromosin, and such. These hormone treatments can only be used on ER+/PR+ cancers AFTER menapause. They lower the amount of estrogen in the body made by your andrenal glands (found near your kidneys I believe) and by your body fat. The aromatase inhibitors won't stop your ovaries from pouring estrogen into your body. Estrogen is not all bad. It also powers most of the feminine changes in your body. It strengthens your bones and protects your heart. Tamoxifen just blocks it from powering the breast cancer cells. Unfortunately, after about two and a half to five years, the breast cancer mutates or progresses into a form that powers its growth from Tamoxifen. By stopping the Tamoxifen at five years, that cancer stops growing. That's why they recommend that you only use Tamoxifen for five years and then quit. Now we can switch to the other treatments, at least after the ovaries shut down.

ive just read this as i was not sure about ER+ and the way tamoxifen works. this is really helpful information from ladies that know from experience, this site is just wonderful, thankyou to all Tan39 xx
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

I so understand that now. Thank you so much for clearing that up for me Cabbott/Eil...but, what does the percentage part mean. For instance being 96% or 99% for one or the other

When they test the cells from the tumor or biopsy sample, they count of the percentage of cells that light up after absorbing some kind of substance that points out the ones that are ER+. The closer you are to 100% the better since that means most of the cancer is probably controllable with hormone treatments like Tamoxifen or Arimidex. Almost all tumors contain a mix of cells. The ones Tamoxifen doesn't control or "plug" may die off, may replicate, or may just sit there. If only a small percentage are ER+, then chemo would be a better choice for treatment. I do not know what oncologists use as percentage cut-offs.
  • babebussie
    Options
    cabbott said:

When they test the cells from the tumor or biopsy sample, they count of the percentage of cells that light up after absorbing some kind of substance that points out the ones that are ER+. The closer you are to 100% the better since that means most of the cancer is probably controllable with hormone treatments like Tamoxifen or Arimidex. Almost all tumors contain a mix of cells. The ones Tamoxifen doesn't control or "plug" may die off, may replicate, or may just sit there. If only a small percentage are ER+, then chemo would be a better choice for treatment. I do not know what oncologists use as percentage cut-offs.

Cabbott you so answered my question. My dr had told me yesturday that i was 99% and 96% on both ends ER/PR. So now i know what all those % mean.
    Your guys know so much. Thanks ALOT!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    I am ER Positive~ the way my Dr explained it, I had the type of cancer which "feeds" off of estrogen. As I was post-menopausal, I was prescribed Arimidex, which blocks the estrogen, thus giving my hungry cancer cells nothing to eat. So far, so good!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    Options
    cabbott said:

I'm triple negative with only 5% ER positive. Chemo has been recommended with use of hormone therapy to get whatever benefit possible.