Help - newly diagnosed and numb

Annehil
Annehil Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello,

My name is Anne and I'm a newly diagnosed colon cancer patient. I'm not sure what to do, where to turn etc. I underwent a resection of my colon and basically was turned loose. I'm not sure where to turn or what to do next.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Madre
    Madre Member Posts: 123
    I was diagnosis in April and had surgery. Stage 3b (3/36 positive nodes). I am treating with folfox chemo everyother week for 12 rounds. Just finished #5. Get a support group. Friends, family, whoever that you can vent your concerns. Cry when you have to, and don't overdo the research. Too much info can overwhelm you. I wanted to know percentages, statistics, genetics. Now I just finally have accepted that I have cancer, but I don't think so far into it as of the magnatude of it. I believe that the surgery cured me and that the chemo is an insurance policy to keep it from returning. I didn't always feel this way. i was doom and gloom for months. Give yourself time. This is a HUGE life changing event. Take little bits at a time and digest the information. Ask questions and let people help you. Let them make dinners, clean your house, drive you places. Don't try to be a super hero. Allow others to take care of you. You need it. Good luck to you. :)
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Anne, I'm glad to meet you, but so sorry for the reason why. I was diagnosed with Stage 1 colon cancer last Nov. I had a resection and was referred to an oncologist for follow-up treatment. I have CEA blood tests every 3 months, and I've also had 2 colonoscopies since my surgery due to difficulties I've been having. They also did ultrasounds when I was hospitalized for pain and had the colonoscopies. Didn't your doctor suggest an oncologist or set up a schedule of follow-up checks? If not, you should definitely find a doctor who will do that. I assume that you, like me, are Stage 1, and that means your chances of never having cancer again are good, but not certain. You need to be checked periodically to be sure. I was freaked out at first about having an oncologist, but it's comforting to me now, because I can consult with him if I have questions about things I'm feeling, etc. I was referred for a mammogram once I'd recovered from my surgery, and I was called back for a repeat mammogram and ultrasound. I was able to talk with the oncologist and ultimately decided to go ahead with a core needle biopsy to be sure it was okay (it was). If you have a caring oncologist, you will feel more secure, I believe. And you will definitely find comfort in the friends you will find on this board!

Gail
  • hoagiemom
    hoagiemom Member Posts: 87 Member
    Hi Anne, Like the others have said welcome. I was you a year and half ago. Some one on this board told me that I was going to be ok and I am ok. I was dx with stage III with 2 nodes. You didn't say what stage you were at. Get a good Dr. I drive a hour and half away to Roswell Cancer Hospital. I was 42 with two pre teen children I wasn't going to risk anything. The people on this board are kind and very useful.Good Luck and keep us updated

Michelle
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Welcome, Anne! I am stage IIIB rectal cancer, chemoradiation/surgery and now almost finished with my six month adjuvant Folfox chemo.

I can't say i know exactly what you're feeling as far as shock goes. For me, i suspected i had cancer several months before the diagnosis, so the diagnosis was a bit of a relief to me. My staging wasn't as thrilling. It sounds like you're probably a stage I if they have not discussed the possiblitly of adjuvant chemo. I don't know why they don't offer this to stage I's. It is possible for stage I's to get recurrences and spread, but the odds are much less. I agree with the others who have recommended you request an oncologist, and ask him any and all questions about your cancer. If he is insufficient, don't be afraid to ask for another doctor. I know it isn't easy being aggressive (i have that problem), but this is your health and life we're talking about. You have earned the right to be demanding!

Please come here often to ask the board questions too. There are many, many, long term survivors who have been through EVERYTHING.

Keep us posted, and many hugs,
    Krista
  • Joy1216
    Joy1216 Member Posts: 290 Member
    I understand how you are feeling. I said that I felt like I had been hit by a train. I was diagnosed two years ago with stage 1 colon cancer after a screening colonscopy. My surgeon referred me to an oncologist because I kept asking him so many questions while I was in the hospital. I only met with the oncologist once, but he explained the necessary follow-up colonoscopies and annual physicals. I felt a lot better after I talked with him, but I still had questions about preventing recurrence so I met with the dietitian at the cancer center where the oncologist was. She gave me a lot of information and I finally felt like I was in control of my life again. This board has helped me to realize that what I was feeling at various times after my diagnosis and resection was perfectly normal. I agree with the others that you should meet with an oncologist to discuss what follow-up steps to take.
    Joy
  • impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 555 Member
    Sorry about meeting here. I am a 2 year stage 4 guy. Doing well right now but at the start it was pretty hard. You need to find out what stage you are and then make good decisions based on that. I would suggest meeting with a larger comprehensive cancer center near to you. I have been through lots of surgeries, chemo, the waiting etc. and people here have helped a lot. Plaes ask specific questions and be a strong advocate for yourself and your health. Please also let anyone around you help as much as they can.
    Best
    Impactzone
  • MoonDragon
    MoonDragon Member Posts: 183
    Hi Anne,
    My heart goes out to you. You must feel very scared and very alone. You've come to a great group and there is no question too dumb or too "private" to talk about. We spill it all to the levels of our individual comfort zones. This group, just knowing it was there and that there were so many others like me, has been a God send to me. I hope that you'll find what you need here.

Did you have chemotherapy and or radiation? How has your healing been and what side effects/problems have you encountered?

I had my first battle in 2000 and my second just this past October. They then found cancer in my Gall Bladder in February just before my chemo was due to end. The docs then wondered if the chemo had done any good as the cancer was the same type and on the inside of my Gall Bladder which meant it wasn't from a metastisization, it was a whole brand new beast. My GB was removed and I had one more dose of chemo but now we're playing the waiting/scanning game. I had my PET/CT on Monday and will find out the results next Friday, the 31st. It is what it is.

I lost my home, my husband lost his job, my kids are living with relatives, my pets are in foster homes, everything I own is in storage and I went through chemo and radiation sleeping on an airmattress in my friends spare bedroom and....my truck was repossessed. I've been through Hell and am alive to tell about it! :) I'm slowly working my way out of hell and I'll tell ya, hell isn't as scary as it sounds!

Welcome to our group and a big, cozy hug to you!

Jorie
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Welcome although as others have said , sorry to meet you under these circumstances. I guess the main thing I would tell you is ask lots of questions, be your own advocate, and take one day at a time. Come here often for support. Good luck and God Bless
    Diane