Am I overreacting

jcavanaugh
jcavanaugh Member Posts: 100
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My dad's oncologist said that it would be really bad if my dad lost a lot of weight. Well, he went on vacation for three weeks (road trip to California and British Columbia) and lost 8 pounds. Since he has been back, he gained 2 pounds. He weighs 187 pounds and is 6 feet 2 inches tall. Should I worry? I told him to start gaining some weight pronto. He has a great appetite. He has always been tall and skinny. Any thoughts?

Comments

• claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    I'm probably not going to help much because I can't answer the "why".
    While I was on Chemo, my nurses would say do not try to Diet or loose weight. They always were okay with gaining weight. Lots of times Chemo make you loose weight the bad ways like diaherra, no appitite.

You need to keep your energy up so I'm guessing weight gain does that.

I'm sure there are other, on here, that can answer your questions.

Good thoughts for your Dad and you!
    Claudia
  • Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    It seems to me that as he has gained a couple of pounds already, that he probably lost the weight because he was active. Now that he is back home, you will probably see him gain his weight back. Monica
  • Melanie781
    Melanie781 Member Posts: 33
    It sounds like your Dad's weight is just fine. I go up and down 5 pounds all the time and I don't have cancer. My husband does and has been through chemo, radiation, surgery, and now adjuvant chemo. Through it all, he has actually gained about 20 pounds because of the times he was sedentary due to being in the hospital a couple of times. Yes, the doctor's aren't worried about the weight gain, but my husband is. His appetite changes a lot from the chemo, but he still has one! I don't think you should worry about a little up or down weight fluctuations. :o)
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    claud1951 said:

I'm probably not going to help much because I can't answer the "why".
    While I was on Chemo, my nurses would say do not try to Diet or loose weight. They always were okay with gaining weight. Lots of times Chemo make you loose weight the bad ways like diaherra, no appitite.

You need to keep your energy up so I'm guessing weight gain does that.

I'm sure there are other, on here, that can answer your questions.

Good thoughts for your Dad and you!
    Claudia

I forgot to include this. My Onc nurses also told me that Chemo burns calories that's another reason why they don't like for you to diet during chemo.

Claudia
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    No, the doctors do not want you to lose weight while on chemo. But i don't think a couple of pounds here or there matters. If you're real concerned, i would ask the doctor for some decadron. I've gained 30 lbs since January. My onc says everyone gains weight on this Folfox chemo, but i have only heard of people taking the decadron along with the Folfox gaining weight.

Being overweight most of my life, i thought losing weight would be a cancer perk. I know now there are no perks!

Good luck!
    Krista
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member

No, the doctors do not want you to lose weight while on chemo. But i don't think a couple of pounds here or there matters. If you're real concerned, i would ask the doctor for some decadron. I've gained 30 lbs since January. My onc says everyone gains weight on this Folfox chemo, but i have only heard of people taking the decadron along with the Folfox gaining weight.

Being overweight most of my life, i thought losing weight would be a cancer perk. I know now there are no perks!

Good luck!
    Krista

Not only do you gain weight, but i find it VERY hard to take it back off now that i am off chemo... I think the round and round between not eating, nothing staying in the system long enough to be absorbed, then eating throws the metabolism off. I have finally gotten to feeling strong enough to exercise and am hoping this will rev up my metabolism. I was always VERY thin until this cancer thing! You are SO right, there aren't any perks to this cancer thing... unless you count all the amazing people you meet along the way. And considering how well the Emend-Decadron combo controls the nausea and vomiting, i don't mind having to buy larger clothes!