Options
2»

Comments

• Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177
    Options
    monbro520 said:

Male breast cancer
    My husband has been fighting male breast cancer for 4 1/2 years now. Has spread to bones and we are trying to decide what to do next. I am in the chat room most eves. Family and friends are your best support.

Hi Monbro 520
    Thanks for the reply- I like the way that this new system puts new replies to old subjects back on top. I wouldn't have found it any other way. I haven't found the new chat yet.
    Sorry to hear about your husband's fight with breast cancer and now bone cancer. What are the doctors suggesting as the next step?
    My father had renal(kidney) cancer that spread to his liver, lungs and brain. He also had colon cancer but not breast cancer. His mother had breast cancer.
    I try not to let on here how concerned I am about my future and try to cover it up with humor but it doesn't help a whole lot when I'm alone. At least your husband has you.
    How do they treat bone CA ? More chemo or what?????????
    Would it help if your husband and I talked or emailed together? Even if I can't help his spirits, he might be able to help mine.
    My personal information can be found @ www.caringbridge.org/visit/abelincoln if your husband or you want to contact me privately.
    There are so few men dealing with breast cancer and we have very different issues than do women. Men have a surgical scar and women have lost something that is very important to their sexuality. Men (ME) basically are not nearly as emotionally affected by breast CA as women are. I'm just wanting to get through the next year of chemo and Herceptin treatments. I'm not going to do tamoxifen for 5 years even if my onc insists that it is necessary.
    I am ER+,PR+ and HER2-neu+ .Triple positive I guess is a good thing- at least it gives the doctor something to work with.
    I was sort of lucky I guess. I found a lump, had a mamogram, went to surgery to remove the lump and ended up with a modified radical mastectomy all with in a few weeks. I didn't have much time to think about it.
    Onc wanted a port so I got a port, no questions asked- and he started chemo on July 14,2008. Have had 2 chemo coctails 3 week apart, so far- with Herceptin every week. Next Monday will be chemo #3. Taking Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin.
    Luckilly my reaction to chemo hasn't been as bad as I had anticipated that It might be.[they need a spell check gizmo here] No nausia or vomiting just loose stools all of the time.Feeling tired constantly, not wanting to go to work,wanting to curl up into a ball and wait for this all to end.Needing a hug. Wanting to lay down at night not alone but clinging to another person who understands and who will be there for me.
    Cancer isn't fun- at least not for me.Or for YOU!
    Had to have a platelet transfusion on Tuesday because of some rectal bleeding that wouldn't stop but if that is the worst of it, I'm doing good. Onc nurse tells me that it is cumlamitave and only gets worse as time goes by. I don't want any worse. I NEED to work and bring home the bacon or starve to death and end up homeless.
    Yes, I'm conserned about the future, BUT I beleive that while I was on the operating table that my surgeon removed my cancer. The margins were clear and my lymph nodes were clear.

Please have your husband contact me - or contact me on his behalf. We guys need to stick together and I havent found too many guys to contact.
    If it wasn't for the sisterhood I would have lost it long ago but we do have very different issues to deal with.
    Bill.S 57 yr old MAN who HAD BC and is trying to survive chemo.
  • monbro520
    monbro520 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Bill.S said:

Hi Monbro 520
    Thanks for the reply- I like the way that this new system puts new replies to old subjects back on top. I wouldn't have found it any other way. I haven't found the new chat yet.
    Sorry to hear about your husband's fight with breast cancer and now bone cancer. What are the doctors suggesting as the next step?
    My father had renal(kidney) cancer that spread to his liver, lungs and brain. He also had colon cancer but not breast cancer. His mother had breast cancer.
    I try not to let on here how concerned I am about my future and try to cover it up with humor but it doesn't help a whole lot when I'm alone. At least your husband has you.
    How do they treat bone CA ? More chemo or what?????????
    Would it help if your husband and I talked or emailed together? Even if I can't help his spirits, he might be able to help mine.
    My personal information can be found @ www.caringbridge.org/visit/abelincoln if your husband or you want to contact me privately.
    There are so few men dealing with breast cancer and we have very different issues than do women. Men have a surgical scar and women have lost something that is very important to their sexuality. Men (ME) basically are not nearly as emotionally affected by breast CA as women are. I'm just wanting to get through the next year of chemo and Herceptin treatments. I'm not going to do tamoxifen for 5 years even if my onc insists that it is necessary.
    I am ER+,PR+ and HER2-neu+ .Triple positive I guess is a good thing- at least it gives the doctor something to work with.
    I was sort of lucky I guess. I found a lump, had a mamogram, went to surgery to remove the lump and ended up with a modified radical mastectomy all with in a few weeks. I didn't have much time to think about it.
    Onc wanted a port so I got a port, no questions asked- and he started chemo on July 14,2008. Have had 2 chemo coctails 3 week apart, so far- with Herceptin every week. Next Monday will be chemo #3. Taking Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin.
    Luckilly my reaction to chemo hasn't been as bad as I had anticipated that It might be.[they need a spell check gizmo here] No nausia or vomiting just loose stools all of the time.Feeling tired constantly, not wanting to go to work,wanting to curl up into a ball and wait for this all to end.Needing a hug. Wanting to lay down at night not alone but clinging to another person who understands and who will be there for me.
    Cancer isn't fun- at least not for me.Or for YOU!
    Had to have a platelet transfusion on Tuesday because of some rectal bleeding that wouldn't stop but if that is the worst of it, I'm doing good. Onc nurse tells me that it is cumlamitave and only gets worse as time goes by. I don't want any worse. I NEED to work and bring home the bacon or starve to death and end up homeless.
    Yes, I'm conserned about the future, BUT I beleive that while I was on the operating table that my surgeon removed my cancer. The margins were clear and my lymph nodes were clear.

Please have your husband contact me - or contact me on his behalf. We guys need to stick together and I havent found too many guys to contact.
    If it wasn't for the sisterhood I would have lost it long ago but we do have very different issues to deal with.
    Bill.S 57 yr old MAN who HAD BC and is trying to survive chemo.

Husband BC
    Hello agian,

My husband found the lump as I always told him to check because men could get it. This was March 2004. Did lupmectopmy on Saturday, doctors said it was cancer and did mascectopy next day. Surgeon came in on a Sunday to do it. It did not have defined edges but was not in the nodes. Was Her positive nodes so started tamoxifin. To many side effects. Went off. Next sacan found six nodes positive and has just gotten worse since then. Has had taxol and a couple other things and he ended in the hospital for 5 days. He has tried so much. I can't list them all. He is currently taking a break for a few weeks as they have found more in the bones. They really can't stop it. Just try to slow it down. Will try Tykerb & Xeloda next. Chemo in a pill. At least no more 4 or 5 hours at the oncolo for chemo drip. He is not doing bad but has such fatigue from the chemo. He is looking forward to the break and maybe not being so drosy. I work full time now and he is home with our two daughters who are 14 abd 21. He is so strong. We all are trying our best but it can get to you. If you are so tired you should consider Solcial Security disability. If they say you can't file tell them you lawyer said you could. They try to stop everyone. I hear you can do it on line now too. Let me know how it goes. I am 46 and my husband is 62. We have been married 24 years. Answer back.
  • ManWithaMission
    ManWithaMission Member Posts: 497
    Options
    Men with Breast Cancer
    I am a 55 yr. young man who was diagnosed with Breast Cancer last August 2007.My tumor was
    5cm,6 lymphnodes positive and estrogen positive.I had a radical mascetomy of my left breast.
    I was out of work for 1 month recovering.Then,just as I was going back to work,I developed an infection at my incision.I was out of work for another month recovering from that.I went through three Chemo sessions of Taxotere and Cytoxin three weeks apart.Then seven weeks of Radiation treatments,five days a week for 1 hour.Although,the treatment only took 15 to 20 minutes.When you go through that part,use plenty of Aquaphore.Your Radiation people will tell you more about that.Listen to them!It has been one year since I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and I am doing well.I had to go on Tamoxifen for the next five years due to the estrogen in my system.I see my Doctors every six months now.The real tragedy of this story is that I have had that "lump" in my chest since I was a teenager and it slowly grew over the years and I never told anyone it was there,because I did not know that men could get/have
    Breast Cancer.For no Doctors ever asked if I had any lumps in my chest!