Arimidex and Insomnia

Options
mgm42
mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
edited June 2023 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone else experienced insomnia while on arimidex? If so, what, if anything, did you do to counteract it? I've only been on it for one week, but within two days of taking my first dose I started not sleeping? I'm just wondering if insomnia is a fast-acting side effect or just coincidental? I normally have no problems sleeping. In fact, my head hits the pillow and I'm out! Thanks. Marilynn

Comments

• cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Gee, the side of my prescription bottle has warnings about drowsiness so I take it with food at night (I call it dinnertime, but some people call it supper. . .). If it keeps you awake, have you tried taking it at breakfast?
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    You can go to chemocare.com to see what many of the side effects of many drugs are. I do not know if that is listed for that drug, but I do know that many people on various types of chemo do experince insomnia. I did not notice a significant difference while I was on chemo, but I tend to have periods of insomnia anyway. I did take naps during the day more, which I normally don't do.

Maybe someone else will give you more helpful information.

best wishes, seof
  • Unknown
    Options
    Cabbot's idea makes sense----try taking it with breakfast. Perhaps by night time there will be less in your system and you will be able to sleep better. Good luck with this. If not, maybe you should switch to another AI. Eil
  • jdubious
    jdubious Member Posts: 113
    Options
    I had the same trouble, so I take it in the morning. That seems to have helped.

jill
  • mrsbetty2
    mrsbetty2 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Welcome to the club. I had trouble sleeping when i first went on arimidex, but after it gets in your system it gets better. I also take my little pill first thing in the morning. I have the other symtems and sometimes wonder if it is worth it but i guess it is. I have the muscle,bones and joints ache. also have had the weight gain and periods of depression. I fight them all because i sure don't want to go thru the breast cancer again. Good Luck, Betty
  • khadine
    khadine Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Insomnia and Aridex
    I wish I could give you some good news but I can't. I've been on Arimidex for 4 years now and I have continuous problems with insomnia. I've tried many things, Chiropractic (which helped for several nights) Ambian, Lunesta, Trazadone and now I am trying acupuncture and may try a chinese herb (depending upon what my Dr.'s opinion is). The acupuncture seems to be taking the agitation away but I still don't have a good night of sound sleeping. Very restless. I listen to soothing music which at least makes me more relaxed and I do take Lunesta after several nites of insomnia. I guess not sleeping beats the alternative so I will hang in there for one more year.
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    khadine said:

Insomnia and Aridex
    I wish I could give you some good news but I can't. I've been on Arimidex for 4 years now and I have continuous problems with insomnia. I've tried many things, Chiropractic (which helped for several nights) Ambian, Lunesta, Trazadone and now I am trying acupuncture and may try a chinese herb (depending upon what my Dr.'s opinion is). The acupuncture seems to be taking the agitation away but I still don't have a good night of sound sleeping. Very restless. I listen to soothing music which at least makes me more relaxed and I do take Lunesta after several nites of insomnia. I guess not sleeping beats the alternative so I will hang in there for one more year.

Insomnia is still bothersome
    I take my arimidex in the a.m. but still have some sleepless nights, although I do now manage to get a decent night's sleep here and there. I've been prescribed Ambien but it gave me extreme anxiety. So, now I'm back to toughing it out. It's been two months on the Arimidex and so far the insomnia is the only side effect. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Thanks for all of your help. Marilynn
  • redfrog
    redfrog Member Posts: 2
    Options
    mgm42 said:

Insomnia is still bothersome
    I take my arimidex in the a.m. but still have some sleepless nights, although I do now manage to get a decent night's sleep here and there. I've been prescribed Ambien but it gave me extreme anxiety. So, now I'm back to toughing it out. It's been two months on the Arimidex and so far the insomnia is the only side effect. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Thanks for all of your help. Marilynn

Trazadone
    I am taking arimidex and, like you, take it in the morning and experience insomnia. 50mg Trazadone, taken about 1/2 hour before bed, ususally works for me. Marilynn, keep trying different things until something works for you.
  • Paulsgerl
    Paulsgerl Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I started taking anastrozole a month ago it made me very tired at first, and now I have intermittent sleep even with Xanax

• Widdershins3
    Widdershins3 Member Posts: 8 Member
    edited June 2023 #11
    Options

I had that happen too, but have never been certain it was the Arimidex or just plain old stress and repetitive thoughts when I wake up at 2-3AM.

So it took me a while to mention it to my chief oncologist--not smart on my part. But when I did, years later, she casually asked if I'd ever tried THC/CBD gummies. I hadn't, but I'm lucky to live in CA where there are nice, clean, well-lit dispensaries in many business districts of cities. So my husband picked some up and I've been sleeping so much better ever since.

No side effects from them, either. I still wake at the wee hours, but I just take a smaller piece of the gummie. The normal dose is half of one piece, but I cut that in 2 again and just take a quarter of one or sometimes an even smaller piece. I wish I'd asked WAY earlier.

• Paulsgerl
    Paulsgerl Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Yes I had to retire because I do not sleep thru the night