CA-125

ladyjogger31
ladyjogger31 Member Posts: 289
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi, I have gone through 5 rounds of carbo/taxol. My cat scan came back clear. My CA-125 was in the thousands before surgery. After surgery and first chemo it was at 5424-638-227 and now it is at 151. It seems like its coming down but really slow. Does this happen? I am a nervous wreck. I have had 2 UT infections during my 4th and 5th chemo and was but on levaquin. My oncologist said that there is still cancer there because of the CA-125 being up but that it is good that it is coming down. Any help I would appreciate. I am also on a clinical trial of Avastin for the next 12 months.
Hugs and Prayers
Thanks Terry

Comments

• saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    I bet it will come down with more chemo. I wouldn't panic just yet as past post in this discussion group show that infections, medications, etc will have an effect on those numbers. Even nerves might do something. Hugs and Prayers, Saundra
  • lindachris
    lindachris Member Posts: 173
    It seems like it is just taking time for the treatment to knock back the cancer. There seems to be a "rolling" effect, sort of a cumulative time it takes to overcome the momentum the disease builds. That happens with a lot of things, does it not? That's why doctors tell us to take all the antibiotics we're prescribed, to go all the way through the disease we're fighting. I hope you can take encouragement from your progress, and the numbers, while retreating slowly, are still an encouragement. God Bless and Good Luck!

Chris
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Hello, Terry:
    Well, as you can see, your situation is very typical. It's wonderful that it's coming down - shows that the chemo is knocking this thing out! In the meantime, as Saundra mentioned, it definitely can fluctuate for lots of reasons. So, don't despair - sending lots of prayers and hugs!
    Monika
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    Hi Terry, You've gotten good advice already, and I hope you'll relax and not worry too much about the CA-125 numbers. You mention the Avastin trial, but you don't mention when you started it. I know a couple of women who had really good results with it, and I sincerely hope it will do the same for you!