A Bit Depressed

laurieg
laurieg Member Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I don't like to complain, I say that all the time. But this is all so new to me. I can't stand medicine for everything and I don't want any right now. I just want to know that it is normal to be a bit depressed or down after all this. I was only diagnosed 2 weeks ago and had my top right lobe removed. I am such an energenic and busy person normally with my husband and 4 children. But since this hit 2 weeks ago, I told everyone I"m not sleeping good at night and just a bit down in the dumps. Crying here and there for really no reason. I am so grateful to be alive, and I feel bad for feeling bad. Normal?

Comments

• soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    Laurie: There is absolutely nothing abnormal about feeling depressed. The medical profession, in fact, recognizes this condition to be a typical response to the announcement of cancer, to say nothing of the subsequent treatment.

Speaking of treatment, you were basically in a knife fight that you lost (since you slept through the entire fight :)).

Beyond that, I liken the acknowledgement of cancer to a midlife crisis, regardless of age: like getting smacked in the face by a pie that says MORTALITY on it. In my experience, we are forced to examine our lives and to evaluate what we have accomplished and what value we have provided, etc., and it does tend to leave us a bit depressed...that and the prospect of death, of course (did I omit that earlier :)).

It is all perfectly natural, Laurie. You might ttry the chatroom on this site for some enlightment and some conversation in that regard (it now works!).

Otherwise, if it continues, I would recommend seeing a therapist, perhaps. That is not uncommon either. In fact, I have suggested to the team that did my original surgery for head and neck cancer that they should include a pyschologist on their team.

Try the chatroom first, laurie...it is really like free therapy for lots of people.

In the meantime, take care and SMILE (as you advised me :)).

Joe
  • laurieg
    laurieg Member Posts: 18

Laurie: There is absolutely nothing abnormal about feeling depressed. The medical profession, in fact, recognizes this condition to be a typical response to the announcement of cancer, to say nothing of the subsequent treatment.

Speaking of treatment, you were basically in a knife fight that you lost (since you slept through the entire fight :)).

Beyond that, I liken the acknowledgement of cancer to a midlife crisis, regardless of age: like getting smacked in the face by a pie that says MORTALITY on it. In my experience, we are forced to examine our lives and to evaluate what we have accomplished and what value we have provided, etc., and it does tend to leave us a bit depressed...that and the prospect of death, of course (did I omit that earlier :)).

It is all perfectly natural, Laurie. You might ttry the chatroom on this site for some enlightment and some conversation in that regard (it now works!).

Otherwise, if it continues, I would recommend seeing a therapist, perhaps. That is not uncommon either. In fact, I have suggested to the team that did my original surgery for head and neck cancer that they should include a pyschologist on their team.

Try the chatroom first, laurie...it is really like free therapy for lots of people.

Joe

Thanks again Joe,

I just woke up so down today I couldn't stand myself. So I went to the chapel and I feel so much better. I have a huge SMILE right now. I just never felt like that before and didn't like it. I'm good now.
  • nubis
    nubis Member Posts: 98
    When I cannot find answers I like to visit the Church. I used to be more energetic too, but when all this happen simply I was out of energy . I was sleeping all day, doing nothing. I have few weeks that I decide to change because WE only can decide if we want to have a good day. Maybe we cannot control our cells to be out of cancer, but we can decide how to live........
    Nubis
  • Loudon143
    Loudon143 Member Posts: 9
    I thought I am the only one feeling like this after a lobectomy last July 28. I have good and bad days. I just don't know anymore :(
  • catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    Don't be so hard on
    Don't be so hard on yourself. I was diagnosised in August going for surgery on Wednesday 9/10. I sometimes am down but I found a place a at local church with a statue of Mary and I spend a little time there everyday. They are removing my lower right lobe. I also have four children how old are your's. It is very scary to be dx with this. I had no symptoms they found it accidentally. So I don't even feel sick. It makes the dx seem surreal until I begin to talk about it. I use a relaxation tape at night to help me sleep. maybe your could try this. What type and stage of cancer do you have?

catcon49
  • BDDB
    BDDB Member Posts: 2
    catcon49 said:

Don't be so hard on
    Don't be so hard on yourself. I was diagnosised in August going for surgery on Wednesday 9/10. I sometimes am down but I found a place a at local church with a statue of Mary and I spend a little time there everyday. They are removing my lower right lobe. I also have four children how old are your's. It is very scary to be dx with this. I had no symptoms they found it accidentally. So I don't even feel sick. It makes the dx seem surreal until I begin to talk about it. I use a relaxation tape at night to help me sleep. maybe your could try this. What type and stage of cancer do you have?

catcon49

Support & Mechanisms
    This is a hard road we all have had to travel. It is easy to get depressed, and I found myself going up and down, towards the end of therapy mostly down as you feel pretty crummy all the time. I am in my 9th month of being lung cancer free.

I went through an awful 6 months of therapies, financial pressures and generally felt emotionally hit by a bus. It is quite common to have depression with this, after all this really is serious and you have a major lack of control. Some doctors regularly prescribe sleeping pills & anti-depressants. Your body becomes a toxic waste dump with all the chemo & anti nausea pills etc. so what are a few more if they help you to cope?

There are also non-medical strategies like yoga and biofeedback tapes. Peggy Huddleston's tape (made for pre-surgery) can be used and I found it quite calming except when I was at the very very rock bottom. I am not normally into "alternative" lifestyle stuff but have been surprised by the effectiveness of these tapes.

Can you force yourself to do one thing for yourself each day? Even if it takes only 5 min? An art project, nice bath, go to the beach or a park??? Give yourself a treat!

Good luck all.
  • elouella
    elouella Member Posts: 9

Joe

depression
    Hi Joe, I am glad you mentioned chat room. I get fearful, as my tumor in lung has not shrunk, But has not grown either.
  • elouella
    elouella Member Posts: 9
    elouella said:

depression
    Hi Joe, I am glad you mentioned chat room. I get fearful, as my tumor in lung has not shrunk, But has not grown either.

depression
    I am sorry, But I meant to ask, Where is chat, I can't find a link to it.