Follow up

Options
amyalbien
amyalbien Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I would like to hear from anyone with Stage 3B Colon Cancer what their follow up protocol was after completing chemotherapy. My Oncologist plans to see me 30 days after completing chemo, and not again for 6 months. I am worried that this may not be soon enough. He also mentioned that he usually just does lab work at 6 months and not scans. I want to be as proactive as possible in fighting any recurrent disease.

Comments

• lhousequeen
    lhousequeen Member Posts: 8
    Options
    I was diagnosed with stake 4 colon cancer. I'm now half way done with chemo, with another 6 more treatment. I do not have an answer to your questions, but can tell you not to doubt your doctor, trust him that he wants to heal you probably the same way you want to. Don't get anxious about the end result. Think in your heart that you are going to be alright. Cancer will always be part of your life, but not as an illness, but something that you need to monitor constantly, change your diet and way of thinking and most of all trust God will always take care of you. Please keep the faith that God that created you will continue to care for you. I know this and trust God without reservation with my health and my life. Try to concentrate on the beautiful part of life and you will find strength to face each day.

With much love!
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I can answer your question, I was stage 3A - 2 lymph nodes positive. I had a scan 30 days after completing chemo and have an appointment for blood work every three months - CEA levels and a scan every 6 month for 7 years. I also have a colonoscopy annually for three years and if all is clear every 3 years forever. Your follow up seems pretty lame - where are you being seen? I am at Mass General in Boston. If I were you, I would be concerned.

Pam
  • Lisa Rose
    Lisa Rose Member Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Stage 3C 10 positive lymph nodes, surgery March 20, 2002.

Years 1&2 blood work every three months.
    Years 3 to 5 blood work every six months
    Blood Chemistry
    CBC
    CEA
    CA19-9

First year anniversay we did a colonoscopy now I have one every two years. My Dr's are not big on having to many CT Scans, however I have had one each year because I wanted it. After six years I no longer go to Oncology however my family Dr does my follow up care and I still have my blood work done every six months for life. Get a second opinion on your follow up care.

Lisa
  • Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    You should be having scans and not just lab work. I had scans every 3 mos for 2 years. Then it went to 4 mos. and then 6. I am now 5 years out and having yearly scans. Are you being treated at a major cancer center.

Maureen