Nausea--Yuk!

NorcalJ
NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Had my first A/C last Tues. The anti-nausea meds rx'd for the first 3-4 days worked O.K. But now on day 5 and 6, I'm having continual nausea or just sour stomach! Never enough to hug the bucket, but really irritating because it's almost constant. Had a really bad night in the recliner last night. Needed to get up every few hours to get something in my stomach, which makes it feel better, and of course to drink, drink, drink. At this rate I'll weigh 800lbs by the time I'm done!
Anyone take anything better than those meds?
I'll call tomorrow to see if I can take the Zofran 1-2x day for more than 4 days. Does anyone do that?
HELP! between nausea, the need to deliver more than just lady like burps, and creeping self pity, I'm not functioning well!

Comments

• kbc4869
    kbc4869 Member Posts: 159
    Hi There,

I found that Zofran didn't do it for me. My chemo nurse said that it's the cheapo brand that most insurance companies try to stick you with first. Ask your onc to write you a script for Kytril. It's better and more expensive. If insurance co asks questions, tell them that the Zofran is giving you headaches (apparently, a common complaint). My docs told me to take the antinausea meds whenever I needed them.

Good Luck and hang in there!

Kim
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Good News is you are not heaving your guts.....Bad News is you feel "yukky"! TELL YOUR DR!!!! Chemo is potent stuff~ it is doing its magic, so to speak, and wreaking havoc with your system. Your Dr does NOT want you to be ill~ put the cancer center on Speed Dial and, if need be, make a pest of yourself. I am sure you can imagine how much I did not want to call the Center and speak with the Dr on call at 3 AM one Sunday when I just couldn't "poop". Somehow I knew the Dr didn't have this phone call in mind when she went to medical school! If cancer is our new normal, chemo is our new AB-Normal! There is absolutely no need to suffer in silence or be super-human and braver than what we as women already are!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • base61ball
    base61ball Member Posts: 125
    I am taking promethazine 12.5MG tabs. Had my first last Thursday - one in the a.m. seemed to do the trick for me. Its important that you let the doctor know immediately if it isn't working -no reason to suffer unnecessarily. Good luck to you.
  • tan39
    tan39 Member Posts: 49
    sorry to hear your having a bad time with the nausea, my 3rd chemo did same to me and it lasted over a week. Not sure if you have the same meds as im from the land down under!, but my onc.upped my Dexamethasone from 4 to 6 doses and it seemed to do the trick on my 4th chemo, but having something in your stomach does help as much as you probably dont want to eat. I agree with the weight issue, my chocolate intake has trebled, but i'll deal with that after the chemo. Good Luck for your next round, Tan x
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    tan39 said:

sorry to hear your having a bad time with the nausea, my 3rd chemo did same to me and it lasted over a week. Not sure if you have the same meds as im from the land down under!, but my onc.upped my Dexamethasone from 4 to 6 doses and it seemed to do the trick on my 4th chemo, but having something in your stomach does help as much as you probably dont want to eat. I agree with the weight issue, my chocolate intake has trebled, but i'll deal with that after the chemo. Good Luck for your next round, Tan x

Thanks to all for the advice. I used it when calling the doc. Of course, Murphy's law, as soon as I had other meds to use, it seemed to decrease on it's own. He said that our bodies usually get used to the chemo and the nausea can subside with the next infusions---keeping my fingers crossed.
    I always read the best advice here. Thanks