How do you take care of the caregiver?

meucat
meucat Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Have this on my blog, hoping to get some new ideas

1. Make sure they get plenty of rest.
2. Guide them so they allow time for themselves.
3. It's the small things in life that count:
A. Send a 'Thinking of you' card
B. A promise of a "vacation day" away from you
C. A hug
D. Appreciate, Appreciate, Appreciate
E. A simple thanks goes a long way
F. Smile
G. Keep your complaints to 10 minutes a month then laugh about it
H. Treat them to breakfast/lunch/or dinner when driven to 'Cancer Camp' (chemo)
I. Praise (don't overdo)
J. Help them in any way that you can

Please help by adding to the list :)

Comments

• jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    What a good list; are you the caregiver or the patient? When I was in treatment, my caregiver hubby and I had trouble being specific with friends who said "let me know how I can help". We sat down together and made a short list of tasks....prepare a dinner for Wednesday night, help mulch the front flower bed, drop the lawnmower at the shop, wash the patio furniture; all those little tasks that he couldn't get to and I was too wiped to do alone. It made it easier all around to just have a specific request, and friends and family were happy to help and feel useful. I try to use some of those jobs when I ask others if they need help. All the best, Judy
  • meucat
    meucat Member Posts: 7
    jsabol said:

What a good list; are you the caregiver or the patient? When I was in treatment, my caregiver hubby and I had trouble being specific with friends who said "let me know how I can help". We sat down together and made a short list of tasks....prepare a dinner for Wednesday night, help mulch the front flower bed, drop the lawnmower at the shop, wash the patio furniture; all those little tasks that he couldn't get to and I was too wiped to do alone. It made it easier all around to just have a specific request, and friends and family were happy to help and feel useful. I try to use some of those jobs when I ask others if they need help. All the best, Judy

I'm the patient:) Colon with mets to liver, found out last July. Last scan was good...it's not growing and my CEA which was 833 last Aug is now 2.3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My son has been my main caregiver since husband used to work out of state (now he is out of work). I can't say enough good things about my care.

Like your idea about the task list, thanks so much.

I'm a Judy also :)