New Here and need some advice!!

AutumnDanielle
AutumnDanielle Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hello Ladies!
My name is Autumn Danielle which I like to go by! Im 20 years old and my sister who is 18 has ovarian cancer. She was diagnosed about a month ago and had a total hysterectomy and has been getting chemotherapy weekly. I am her caregiveer. I was just wondering we dont have alot of money for a week and in her second week she lost most of her hair and we dont have a lot of money and we dont have health insurance. someone had told me that the american cancer society gives away free wigs? Does she need a referral or anything or can we just call and make an appointment? any advice is greatly appreciated! If I can be of any help to anyone esp. caregivers im always open to talking!

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    AutumnDanielle:
    Welcome to the best group of people, survivors and caregivers. But I am so sorry to hear about your younger sister. I'm hearing more often now of younger women developing ovarian cancer and don't know if there's research as to why this is happening. Nonetheless, this must be so difficult for you, your sister and your family. But you've come to the right place to find hope, encouragement and information.

Yes, I would contact the American Cancer Society. You don't need a referral. They have a wonderful program called 'Look Good, Feel Better'. I actually attended a short class where they gave you make-up tips (and lots of make-up samples and goodies!), how to tie scarves, different hats to wear, and how to wear and care for wigs. I finally donated my wigs to the chemo room of my oncologists office, in hopes that I will never need them again. Check with your sister's doctor's office - they may have some resources for you. We also have an organization here in Michigan (I don't know if it's nationwide) called 'Locks of Love'.

Your sister is young and I'm sure she would like to have something stylish and close to her natural hair color and style. Once you get a wig, seek out a beauty shop that's knowledgeable in cutting and styling wigs. It might not be the perfect style for her, but a good stylist can trim a little or change it possibly to suit her needs. I also recommend a wig cap, which is just a small, cotton-lite cap that goes on before the wig. That will prevent irriation and it's extremely comfortable.

How long will she be on chemo? What kind is she getting, and what stage is her cancer? I, like many of us here, are not only survivors, but have been caregivers as well. So we know what both of you are going through. Let us know how things are going and anything else we can help with.

Until then, lots of hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Monika
  • carol2dogs
    carol2dogs Member Posts: 132
    Hello, AutumnDanielle!
    I would like to echo Monika's welcome - she had some wonderful advice! I don't know where you live, but if you are near enough to a Comprehensive Cancer Center, they might also have a Cancer Patient Support Program of some kind - that is where I got a free wig as well as lots of other resources and counseling. The wigs really truly need some styling before your sister wears them.
    If you don't have health insurance, you are going to need lots of financial assistance. If you don't have a church group that can help, ask the American Cancer Society for ideas. People want to help, especially someone who is so young and should not have to face this problem at this stage of life. You and your sister are in our prayers and thoughts. Please come here often.
    Love, Carol
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Good for you reaching out to this group for help. They have been my backbone since March, 2007. A great group of ladies. My Cancer Center has a "Look Good, Feel Good" shop attached that gave me the first wig from the American Cancer Center and even some hats and caps for free. I ordered more from a company called Paula Young as cheap as $34. I have found bandanas the most comfortable for summer here in Texas. Call your local American Cancer Society in your area and ask. Ask where your sister got her chemo. My church has a program that furnishes hats and caps and has monthly meetings so you might call some of the larger local churches in your area. What state do you live in? I am in Texas. Check back often for more help. (((HUGS))) Saundra
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    Hi, Autumn Danielle -

You've been given some sound advice by the other women who have responded, but I have a slightly different perspective to add. Does your sister really want to wear a wig? I was reminded that not everyone chooses to do so last month when I met a woman who chooses not to, and looks very good without hair! If I hadn't been interviewing for jobs and experiencing one of the worst winters ever in our area when I was having chemo, I may have done the same.

If your sister thinks she can tolerate questions, she'd be a good candidate for going without.

The Nancy's Notions website has a number of different head covers that can be easily made by someone who sews (look at the bottom of the home page for "Creative Kindness"). If someone you know has asked if they can help, perhaps they would like to make a few (one to wash, one to wear, one extra) for your sister. I made my own and wore them constantly at home. I know now why people used to wear nightcaps! I've made some for friends who have had chemo, also.

I hope your sister will also consider contacting a support group in your area. Your local American Cancer Society will be able to give you information, and cancer treatment centers usually have information about them.

If I have to have chemo again-and it looks as though I may before too long, I plan to go without a wig as much as I can, mostly because I do what I can to educate women about OVCA; having a bald head might give me more of an opportunity to dole out some information!
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member

Hi, Autumn Danielle -

You've been given some sound advice by the other women who have responded, but I have a slightly different perspective to add. Does your sister really want to wear a wig? I was reminded that not everyone chooses to do so last month when I met a woman who chooses not to, and looks very good without hair! If I hadn't been interviewing for jobs and experiencing one of the worst winters ever in our area when I was having chemo, I may have done the same.

If your sister thinks she can tolerate questions, she'd be a good candidate for going without.

The Nancy's Notions website has a number of different head covers that can be easily made by someone who sews (look at the bottom of the home page for "Creative Kindness"). If someone you know has asked if they can help, perhaps they would like to make a few (one to wash, one to wear, one extra) for your sister. I made my own and wore them constantly at home. I know now why people used to wear nightcaps! I've made some for friends who have had chemo, also.

I hope your sister will also consider contacting a support group in your area. Your local American Cancer Society will be able to give you information, and cancer treatment centers usually have information about them.

If I have to have chemo again-and it looks as though I may before too long, I plan to go without a wig as much as I can, mostly because I do what I can to educate women about OVCA; having a bald head might give me more of an opportunity to dole out some information!

Dearest Autumn Danielle, I echo a lot of what everyone has alread shared. I also never have liked a wig myself and found it a time to wear lots of colorful bandana's and even have a hat that says "I'm too sexy for my hair"

Please come often and encourage your sister to come also.

Sue, As I read your reply I was surprised to read you may be starting chemo again. I thought you were one of the women that truely beat this. But knowing how long yuo have been in remission you will be like Monika and go right back into remission. :-) If you don't mind sharing, tell us what is going on. Sending lots of prayers n hugs Bonnie
  • kris43
    kris43 Member Posts: 275
    Autumn Danielle - you really did pick a great site to come to. I am so sorry that you and your family have to go through this horrible thing called ovarian cancer though. I chose to not use a wig also, and my wonderful group of friends had a "bandanna shower" for me. Just like a baby shower - but instead they all brought me a bandanna or scarf. I had so many to choose from - different ones for each outfit I could come up with. It was wonderful!! The place where I received chemo each time also had a basket full of crocheted/knitted beanie type hats that were just for people to take as needed. They were really nice to wear at night during the winter. My head was always cold.

My best to you and your sister. Keep asking all the questions you have - you will find great support here and the ladies have so many answers. They have been a great source of inspiration to me the past year.

Kris
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator