Neuropathy from Chemo in hands and feet

Options
Kodie
Kodie Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I have colorectal cancer and the chemo damaged nerves and I now have neuropathy in my hands and feet/ankles. I read one of the reponses about pineapple juice, I'll try anything. I am on Lyrica currently which does give me some relief, but my quality of life has been greatly impacted. Does anyone have any other suggestions? No one can tell me if this is ever going to go away or improve. Thanks.

Comments

• jenhopesprays
    jenhopesprays Member Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    There is help for this. Check out my post to ihousequeen. It goes away much of the time although some have lingering effects.

Jennifer
  • impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member
    Options

There is help for this. Check out my post to ihousequeen. It goes away much of the time although some have lingering effects.

Jennifer

I had chemo for stage 4 and eventually most ofthe neuropathy went away for me. The hands came back fine but I still have it in my feet. While annoying...it does get better.
    Impactzone
  • Faith88
    Faith88 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Kodie,
    How long have you had the neuropathy?
    My HB has neuropathy also, for going on 8 months now, it began in November during his last month of chemo.
    He has seen a neurologist and is taking neurontin for the pain in his hands. Like you said, no one can tell him either how long it will last. We hope and pray each day for relief soon and hope for you as well.

I've never heard about pineapple juice helping, but maybe I'll look that one up.
    -Faith88
  • cjf2006
    cjf2006 Member Posts: 83
    Options
    My primary physician recommended vit B-12 and B-6. It's been over a year since I had oxaliplatin, which caused the neuropathy. It did improve, but I still have it. My feet are the greatest annoyance. Wearing shoes is irritating, so I wear Birkenstock type sandals most of the time,with socks of course to keep my feet warm.
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I have no answers....just hope that your neuropathy resolves quickly and completely.

Hugs,

Kay
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I stopped the chemo after 9 cycles due to the neuropathy which did get worse then for several months. It has been over 18 months since my last chemo and I still have some neuropathy but it is tolerable. I still take Vit B6, 100 mg, twice a day. It does seem to help some. Hang in there. Although no one can tell you for sure how long it will take it will get better.

• lhousequeen
    lhousequeen Member Posts: 8
    Options
    cjf2006 said:

My primary physician recommended vit B-12 and B-6. It's been over a year since I had oxaliplatin, which caused the neuropathy. It did improve, but I still have it. My feet are the greatest annoyance. Wearing shoes is irritating, so I wear Birkenstock type sandals most of the time,with socks of course to keep my feet warm.

I've been taking the B6 & B12 for a week now and do feel the difference it makes. Even the dark color in my hands and feet are a bit clear now. I really works! God bless!