Markers at 18!!! Horray!!

Options
babebussie
babebussie Member Posts: 150
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my cancer markers done sunday for mondays chemo and the Dr.told me that my numbers were excellant. When i started out the markers i believe were like 180 something, i think. Well now after 1st 4 doses, surgery, now 4 more doses of taxotere with 2 in already and 2 more to go. I'm so happy. Hopefully after my last treatment my numbers will be at zero. Do they go to zero, does that mean your cancer free when it reaches zero? Plz advise...

Comments

• lfly
    lfly Member Posts: 50
    Options
    My old Onc told me that the markers can't go that low. Well, remember i fired him for other reasons last fall. But i don't recall mine ever being lower than in the teens when i was in "remission".

I did chemo till the treatment plan was finished even though the markers were that low before i finished.

Anyway, good question. I'd like to know too. Thanks
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    Way to Go!
    Here's my ignorance, what are cancer markers, and how do they study them?

Always more to learn about this "project".

Keep up the good work!
    Jan
  • nogood
    nogood Member Posts: 1
    Options
    have you found out any more about your markers? I am a 5 yr. survivor never needing more then tamoxifen. My markers are now at 50 and my remaining breast has new cysts. My surgeon says dont worry but that is the highest they have been so far!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Markers are just one of the ways Drs use to determine how we are doing with BC, during Treatment, and After...markers are found in our blood ( thus labs done regularly) and each cancer type has its own set of numbers...
    There is a contant which our Drs look for; I THINK it is between 20-50 tho do NOT take that as Gospel! ASK YOUR DOCTOR! The labs show if there is any flucuation in our levels, and if the marker is 18, and the next month, say 35, the Dr won't panic, but compare your markers for the next few months to see which level was most likely the "anomoly".

I don't belive that the markers ever go down to Nothing~ though I may have misunderstood my Dr. The secretions our body makes from which the levels are ascertained, remain with us forever, and give our Drs a baseline from now until forver! So I understand anyway! If I am wrong, our resident expert on all things research, namely Cabbott ( Love ya Cabbott!!!) will set the record straight for us! Thanks in advance, Cabb!

Hope this helps~ and HOORAY on the low markers!!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • lfly
    lfly Member Posts: 50
    Options
    lfly said:

My old Onc told me that the markers can't go that low. Well, remember i fired him for other reasons last fall. But i don't recall mine ever being lower than in the teens when i was in "remission".

I did chemo till the treatment plan was finished even though the markers were that low before i finished.

Anyway, good question. I'd like to know too. Thanks

Sorry ya'll, I went and looked up my copies of reports from my second DX and the markers never went below 28. As for the '01 DX i had no idea what markers even were and never asked questions.
  • sylva
    sylva Member Posts: 80
    Options
    I don't have any knowledge about MARKERS. I will continue reading here and see if I can learn more, at least until I go to the oncologist again. Thank you for bring it up!!