Another Newbie

keepnthefaith
keepnthefaith Member Posts: 36
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am usually the type that just reads what others have to say and don't "join in" and especially do not start anything. But after reading all the responses to the other posts I decided I might want in on this "family".
I was diagnosed with rectal cancer the fist part of May - first thought it was a Stage 1, gonna have the surgery and be done with it. Pathology report told a different story - Stage 3. So now I am facing radiation and chemo, both set to begin on July 1st. I had my port put in last week.
It has been a month since my surgery and I still don't seem to have much energy. I don't know if that is physical or psychological, but it is driving me crazy. I usually recover very fast - went back to work 10 days after a total hysterectomy.
My family has been great. Husband has made my wants and needs his top priority although I try not to take advantage of that too much. My grown daughter lives 2 hours away and drives here for everything! The only crappy thing is my son is in the Marines and is deployed to Iraq and when he calls I can here how hard it is for him to try dealing with all of this so far away.

I'm tired, bored and anxious to get this over with - but I am still "keepnthefaith".

Comments

• Sam725
    Sam725 Member Posts: 87 Member
    Welcome!
    So glad you decided to join this "family".

I figured I'd say "Hi" and welcome to a wonderful resource of information and support.

I am a caregiver to my husband who was dx with stage 2 colon cancer 2 years ago. This place has been a god send. These wonderful people have helped me tremendously through everything we have been through and still are going through. I don't post often but I come here everyday and read the posts so I can keep up with everyone.

Just know that no question is "stupid", and if you need to vent this is the place. Everyone has an idea of what you are going through and they will help you get through it by being here to help lift you up on bad days and celebrate on the good ones.

So Welcome, glad you could came by.

Sandy
  • pamysue
    pamysue Member Posts: 105
    I understand what you mean. I am usually more of a board lurker as well. But this diagnosis gives me a need to share and the people here have been the best.

I was diagnosed end of April with a Stage 2 tumor, after surgery on May 7 it was found to be a Stage 3. I went into renal failure after surgery and ended up in the hospital for 15 days. Recovery from this surgery has been tough. They also took out my ovaries and gall bladder and my insides are still sore, I assume from the digging around.

I started chemo, going for round 2 of 12 on Thursday. Doing an aggressive chemo since I have declined radiation. I did a lot of research and found the risks to be too high for my particular situation. I look forward to getting past the halfway point in surgery so I can start counting down to getting rid of this ileostomy.

This is hard on the whole family. Sometimes I think it's worse on them than me. They feel helpless. I'm not much of a one to ask for help, but I've learned that not only do I have to, but it's good for those I love to be able to lend a hand.

Hang in there. I'll be here going thru it with you. I did return to work part-time yesterday. It felt good. Heading back in this afternoon.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
    Pam
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Welcome to the best FAMILY on the internet. WE are here to help, listen, provide support, encourage, cry with, cheer, and oh yea, dance naked with.

We will be with every step of the way and don't ever hesitate to reach out to us for any question or concern you may have.

Your energy question, have you tried to walk a little. It helped me after my surgeries. Anytime you can motivate your body, go-for-it :).

The anxiety is normal and accept the help of your loved ones because they do love ya and during a time of need is when it comes to the surface the most.

Please keep us up to date
  • DK2006
    DK2006 Member Posts: 126
    Hi!
    Welcome to this site!
    I felt that the time between diagnosis and the start of treatment was the hardest times for me. Once chemo started, I knew what to expect and I became mentally stronger.
    Sometimes, walking can make you feel less tired.
    Please keep us posted.
    Best wishes,

Donna
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    You have come to the right place! Sorry you have reason to be here, but you couldn't find a better place for support and knowledge. My husband was also diagnosed with stage 3 back in September 2006. Here we are, cancer free and feeling great. You can look ahead to that. I know it is so scary, but once you get started on your treatments you can feel like you are on your way to good health! My thoughts and prayers are with you as you begin this journey. Feel free to ask any questions!

Faith
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    I too, was expected to be stage I, pathology showed 2 positive lymph nodes so I was diagnosed stage IIIA, colon cancer. I recovered from surgery very well, but then I got a mysterious "virus" or something. My oncologist suggested that mild depression is not unusual and might contribute to my feeling of tiredness. I spoke to my therapist and they put me on a small dose of zoloft - 50 mg. Energy came back and I started chemo. I am now about 9 mos. ned. There is a large psychological component to this disease which needs to be addressed just like the phsyical.

Pam
  • KierstenRx
    KierstenRx Member Posts: 249
    Welcom to the group!!! I was diagnosed stage III rectal cancer in September 2006 and am NED!!! I am sorry you are having to go through this and the radiation and chemo are throwing you for a loop.
    I know it is hard, but you have to give yourself plenty of time to heal. I know you want to feel better, but your body is has been through some major surgery. Chemo and radiation are probably going to make you feel very tired, so take advantage of all the family and friends helping you out. I had a hard time admitting that I was not feeling well, but I still was able to work part time all through chemo and radiation. Get plenty of rest, drink lots of water, get a little exercise and fresh air every day.
    You are facing a long journey, but you will get through it and then life will slowly get back to your new normal. Know that we are all here for you. We have all been there. This board gave me amazing advice and tips. Really made the journey soooo much easier.

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Kiersten
  • lhousequeen
    lhousequeen Member Posts: 8

You have come to the right place! Sorry you have reason to be here, but you couldn't find a better place for support and knowledge. My husband was also diagnosed with stage 3 back in September 2006. Here we are, cancer free and feeling great. You can look ahead to that. I know it is so scary, but once you get started on your treatments you can feel like you are on your way to good health! My thoughts and prayers are with you as you begin this journey. Feel free to ask any questions!

Faith

Hi Faith, your words are so encouraging. Congratulations on your husband's remission. praise the Lord for His mercy towards us. I was diagnoses with colorectal cancer on 6/8/07 and have 2 surgery since. Now I'm more than half way cures with chemo still now for another six months. My biggest problem now is tireness and the tingling in my hands and feet and also the darkness or burn to both. But God is good and He would not have me going through this unless there was a reason, to cure me completely. Everyone, keep up the faith. When down or scare, think about those people that love you and that need you to be alright. Just look up to Father, who loves you more than anything.

Maritza
  • rmap59
    rmap59 Member Posts: 266
    Hi,
    I love your screen name and that is exactly what will get you through this. I was dx with rectal cancer April 2006, had surgery in May and radiation/chemo June, July, August took a month off and more chemo until finished Dec. 2006. It was quite a journey but I got through it and you will too. Lean on your family, friends and this group of awesome people. Post here when you need to vent, or having problems. Someone is always willing to help and they give very good advice on physical issues related to chemo/radiation. Above all do keep the faith.
    Robin
  • winediva
    winediva Member Posts: 26
    Hey Keepn! I'm new to the site to as a Stage 4 colon gal. I had my second of 12 chemo treatments today and I feel terrific. Not even a headache. (I watched The Big Lebowski on my laptop in the treatment room and laughed my butt off.) Be patient and give your body some time to rebound. In the meantime, one of my anti-nausea drugs is actually used quite often for panic and anxiety. Its called Ativan and there is a generic as well. Ask your doc about it. Its done wonders for me for nausea, panic, and even insomnia that can happen with chemo. Love the 3 in 1!