Howdy

kmygil
kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi to All. It's been a while since I've been on this site, and I just wanted to see how everyone is doing. Has anyone heard how Tara's surgery went yesterday?

Personally, I continue to gain weight and now resemble the Michelin balloon that terrorized everyone in "Ghostbusters." I can't seem to stop eating since I quit chemo 16 months ago. Does anyone else have this problem or, better yet, a viable solution? I thought about Nutrisystem, but that won't stop me from working my mouth between meals. I'm growing out of my fat wardrobe now (doesn't everyone have 3 sets of sizes?) and don't want a fourth wardrobe. Help!

Anyway, I hope everyone is moving toward NED and if you are NED, stay that way!!!

Hugs,
Kirsten

Comments

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Hi, Kirsten.

I didn't have chemo, but I did regain a couple of pounds after my surgery (I had dropped while I was in the hospital and on a liquid diet prior to surgery). I've been trying to eat well and doing a lot of walking since I've felt better, but I seem to be STUCK. I'm not gaining, but I'm not losing, either. So, I would be interested, too, to hear of any thoughts from the group on that. At least we're here to complain about not being as svelte as we'd like!

Gail
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    My 2 Cents:

I am not a nutriontist (sp?) or have a BA/BS in Fitness, but I have been in that industry for about 20 years in regards to working out.

I will be 44 yrs on 30 June and weigh 140 lbs and are 5'5". Before my colon cancer I was 42 and 126 lbs and did not eat properly and smoked, but was physically active.

I am still physically active and the extra 20 lbs is muscle weight which I can live with.

My key to keeping weight at bay and gaining muscle tone/weight is working out either with weights or machines 3 times a week and during cardo 4-5 times a week. Cardio can consist of walking, running, biking, etc. and at least 30 minutes and of course watching what I eat. Too many carbs is not good. These turn into extra fat and sugar and go places on our bodies we don't like.

Believe me it takes a lot of will power and effort to maintain an exercise schedule, but it is really worth it.

To give you an idea, here is my daily schedule Monday - Friday:

Wake up: 3:15am
    Get to Work: 5:00am (I live an hour from work)
    Leave Work: 2:30pm
    Go to the Gym: Mon, Wed & Fri 3:30-5:30pm
    Get home: 6:00pm
    In Bed between 7:00 - 8:00pm

There are a lot of days I am dragging **** and DO NOT want to go, but force myself and I really feel better.

It is a mind set or as I call it, right state of mind.

If you take the first step, you will continue to take the others.

good luck :):)
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Hi - I am 8 months out of treatment. I am 5'8" and dropped to 128 lbs during the worst of it. I have since gone up to 152 - I want to stay below 150 - I think that Nudgie is 100 percent correct. I haven't been able to get back into my total fitness routine - I am lacking in cardio. I am doing weights, yoga and pilates - so I need to force myself to get back to the cardio. I am not eating all that much, so it has got to be the activity. I am still a little tired - I was 3A and did whole chemo/radiation/surgery routine. As they say in the Nike add "just do it."

Pam
  • KierstenRx
    KierstenRx Member Posts: 249
    Kirsten,
    I think we are twins, not only in name, but also appearance. I just used the Stay Puff Marshmellow man comparison this weekend. The weight gain sucks big time!!! Believe me I am SOOOOO grateful to be NED and healthy again, but I was never a small person to begin with. I lost over 85 pounds between the time a year before diagnosis and the end of chemo. However, I have now put back on over 60 of those pounds. I am hungry all the time. It's really getting on my nerves. I get irritated because when I was sick everyone said "oh you have cancer, you have never looked better"... and now I feel like they are thinking "wow, she has really balloned out". SOOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!!!
    I myself have visited a nutritionist and have a personal trainer. The neuropathy in my feet continues to be a problem. I really think most of my issues are psychological though. I have always been an emotional eater and I just don't feel like I have dealt with the whole cancer thing. I continue to work on it.
    Anyway, I feel your pain. I know what I should be doing and so do you. I would like to hear someones perspective that has gained back quite a bit of weight, not just 10 or 20 pounds (although I know for them it can be just as frustrating). I'm thinking of resorting to duct tape.......

Kiersten
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Hi Kirsten,
    I think the South Beach Diet is very easy to follow and I have had success with it. It basically focuses on the "glycemic index" - which is how quickly sugars enter the blood stream. Obviously, refined and processed carbs convert to sugar much more quickly than unrefined carbs such as whole grains, vegetables, etc.
    There is no set amount of food that you have to eat, it is more about WHAT you eat. Not only will you loose weight but you will learn how to eat right, unlike NutriSystems where all the food is provided for you.
    It is a great diet for cancer survivors too because it is low sugar and high in all the good things that you are supposed to be doing. The only thing I personally have tweaked is that I do not eat any meats containing nitrates. So, if I get lunch meat I only get the natural kind, I do not eat Canadian bacon, etc. You can also go vegetarian if you want. There is a website too.
    Anyway, it works for me. The first couple of weeks are hard because it is very restrictive but you will certainly get your blood sugar in order and drop several pounds during this time. Once you get through the hard part you can start to add back in some carbs, fruit, etc. and you won't be starving all the time anymore which more than likely has to do with your blood sugar being out of whack.
    Like nudgie said, exercise is important too. Even if you only go for a walk every day, that is better than nothing! You can work your way up to doing more and more. I personally have a very physical job so I don't have to worry about exercising except during the winter when I am not working.
    Anyway, best of luck! Give it a try I think you will be pleased with the results,
    Take care,
    Susan
  • Melanie781
    Melanie781 Member Posts: 33
    Hi Kirsten. I like everyone's response to your post. Wanted to add just one more thing. My doctor prescribed me (the caregiver for Stage IIIC rectal cancer fighter) to walk 30 minutes every day for my mental health, not just my physical health. I thought it was a great "prescription" and have found it was just what I needed to stop me from gaining more weight than I already have since my husband's diagnosis.
    Hugs,
    Melanie781
  • jel1940
    jel1940 Member Posts: 29

Kirsten,
    I think we are twins, not only in name, but also appearance. I just used the Stay Puff Marshmellow man comparison this weekend. The weight gain sucks big time!!! Believe me I am SOOOOO grateful to be NED and healthy again, but I was never a small person to begin with. I lost over 85 pounds between the time a year before diagnosis and the end of chemo. However, I have now put back on over 60 of those pounds. I am hungry all the time. It's really getting on my nerves. I get irritated because when I was sick everyone said "oh you have cancer, you have never looked better"... and now I feel like they are thinking "wow, she has really balloned out". SOOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!!!
    I myself have visited a nutritionist and have a personal trainer. The neuropathy in my feet continues to be a problem. I really think most of my issues are psychological though. I have always been an emotional eater and I just don't feel like I have dealt with the whole cancer thing. I continue to work on it.
    Anyway, I feel your pain. I know what I should be doing and so do you. I would like to hear someones perspective that has gained back quite a bit of weight, not just 10 or 20 pounds (although I know for them it can be just as frustrating). I'm thinking of resorting to duct tape.......

Kiersten

OK...enlighten a newbie...what is NED???
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    jel1940 said:

OK...enlighten a newbie...what is NED???

Hi! NED is "No Evidence of Disease", the goal of us all! We happily joke that we have taken up with NED. Hope NED comes to you soon!
    Hugs,
    Kirsten
  • jel1940
    jel1940 Member Posts: 29
    kmygil said:

Hi! NED is "No Evidence of Disease", the goal of us all! We happily joke that we have taken up with NED. Hope NED comes to you soon!
    Hugs,
    Kirsten

Ah-ha...thanks...I'm ready for a serious relationship with NED!!! Go for my year post hemi next week. Have invited NED to attend the ceremonies.

Hugs back at you,

Jude