Life; Strange but Fun :)

Options
nudgie
nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
To all friends, HELLO and to the newbies, WELCOME. I was DX in July 2006 with Stage II colon cancer with no nodes involved and no spreading of the cancer. Also had my tumor genetically tested and that too came back clear.

I was receiving 3 months check-ups (CT scans & bloodwork) for the first two years, now my Onc Doc states I can now go every 6 months. I have been ALL CLEAR since May 08.

Returned from vacation on 21 June 08 and it was good. Visted parents in Chocowinity, NC which is in the small town of Washington (25 miles from Greenville, NC). Then visited friend in Charlotte, NC and then home to WV. 17 hours of driving in 7 days, didn't like that.

Life, it is strange how it can throw you a curve ball anytime it wants, but you never know when the strike will come, until, BAM there it is. That's how I felt when I was DX in 2006 and to this day I find it hard to believe and to hear when I talk with friends and family about my ordeal. During vacation our friends wanted to know how I was feeling, how check-ups were going, etc., and when talking about it, I still found it hard.

Changes: I have returned to church and feel great about that decision. I find myself crying in church when singing hyms or listening to the lesson, but not as much as in the beginning. I was like a roaring waterfall in the beginning.

I visit more doctors now-a-days then I ever did growing up and through my 30's and they are soooo into my physical well-being and willing to put me at ease or piece of mind.

I have scars (3) to be exact that people have asked to see, and me, heck ya, see my battle scars, because I won the WAR!:) I keep meaning to take a picture and post my CSN Website, but I get too busy and forget, but I will get this done. They are my reminder to take this path I am on now seriously and to make sure I take care of myself.

I continue to volunteer at the hospital I received my treatment at so I get to see my nurses and docs on a regular basis which is nice.

If I continue, I will write a book, but I justed wanted everyone to know that no matter what Life throws at you, keep your eye on the ball and you will hit it out of the park :)

Comments

• Madre
    Madre Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Congrats to you!!! I have just started this battle and I too hope to have a story like yours. You are an inspiration that it can be done. Keep enjoying life. :)
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about the waterfalls. I've always been one to cry easily, and it's been worse since my diagnosis and surgery. I've gone to church most of my life and sung in the choir at most churches. Since my recovery I've actually sung a couple of solos at this church, and I feel transformed when I do it. I feel a special deep feeling about the words of the songs, because of my brush with cancer and my own immortality. I feel like that part of having cancer is a bit of a gift, because you know firsthand what a lot of people don't recognize-that life is fragile, and the time we're given here is of unknown quantity. So we better enjoy it and make it the best life we can WHILE we can.

Gail
  • Sam725
    Sam725 Member Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

I know what you mean about the waterfalls. I've always been one to cry easily, and it's been worse since my diagnosis and surgery. I've gone to church most of my life and sung in the choir at most churches. Since my recovery I've actually sung a couple of solos at this church, and I feel transformed when I do it. I feel a special deep feeling about the words of the songs, because of my brush with cancer and my own immortality. I feel like that part of having cancer is a bit of a gift, because you know firsthand what a lot of people don't recognize-that life is fragile, and the time we're given here is of unknown quantity. So we better enjoy it and make it the best life we can WHILE we can.

Gail

Boy, this crying thing I thought was just me. I am just a caregiver but boy since my husband has been through all this I cry at anything that has a sentimental theme. Yes, I cry when I hear songs that are sad, commercials on TV, etc, havent' been to church since I was a child but have always been spirital, I pray alot and read my bible, watch Joel Osteen on TV and just the thought of this makes me cry! What is with that. My husband is much more of a cryer too! He will start to talk about something and can't cuz he is gonna cry. Boy, does this cancer thing really change your perspective on life. Life is good, treat it gently.

Sandy
  • crg123
    crg123 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    BEAUTIFULLY said!
    AMEN, Sister!!!!!!!!
    xoxoxo, Cheryl