Hair Loss

NorcalJ
NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone!

Tomorrow I start chemo! Someone told me that they'd heard that wearing a tight headband during the infusion cut down on the scalp circulation and possibly delayed or decreased the hair loss. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd read that applying cold compresses to decrease scalp circulation didn't work.

I'm fully expecting to be bald and have the wigs and hats, but thought I'd give it a try.

Would appreciate any info anyone has, or debunking if it's an old wives tale.
Thanks and Hugs,
Jan

Comments

• I don't know about the tight headband, but I wore an ice cap (frozen 'shower cap') during my fist courses of chemo. It was miserable and I lost my hair anyway (most of it). The second time I went through chemo I said, 'forget that!', and results were the same without the cap as with it.
    It may have something to do with which drugs you are given and your individual body's response to them. Chances are you will end up with the wigs, etc. anyway, so why make yourself more uncomfortable than necessary?
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    I haven't had chemo, but lots of my friends have. Almost all of them said that wigs in the summertime were a real bummer. One went for a lovely straw hat with different sashes for all her outfits and the others for scarves and turbans. One friend after another has warned me to not spend a fortune on wigs because they didn't end up wearing them all that much. A teacher at my school got a baseball cap with bangs and a ponytail "built in" so that she could look "okay" for the kids (much cooler than a wig apparently).So get a wig for "fancy events" but don't overspend before you find out if you like them.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    I have not heard of cold compress on the head or tight headband for any purpose at all, much less preventing hairloss from chemo. I don't think there's much way to prevent it, other than not doing chemo, which leads to much worse consequences. I think the fear/anticipation of the hairloss is much worse than the actual exprience, once it happens. American Cancer Society has wigs that have been donated by formerly bald patients. I got one for free, which I did not use. I have come to enjoy hats, and have been given several since my friends and co-workers have dubbed me "hat lady". I dress them up with brooches and scarves. My hair is starting to grow back, but I like myself in hats and will most likely keep on wearing them.

You will find out what works best for you. ACS also can put you in touch with a support group "look good, feel better". You can get tips on how to use wigs, scarves, hats, and makeup to the best advantage for your specific color palate, etc. as well as getting together to have fun and get free makeup.

Have fun with it! seof
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    I have not heard of cold compress on the head or tight headband for any purpose at all, much less preventing hairloss from chemo. I don't think there's much way to prevent it, other than not doing chemo, which leads to much worse consequences. I think the fear/anticipation of the hairloss is much worse than the actual exprience, once it happens. American Cancer Society has wigs that have been donated by formerly bald patients. I got one for free, which I did not use. I have come to enjoy hats, and have been given several since my friends and co-workers have dubbed me "hat lady". I dress them up with brooches and scarves. My hair is starting to grow back, but I like myself in hats and will most likely keep on wearing them.

You will find out what works best for you. ACS also can put you in touch with a support group "look good, feel better". You can get tips on how to use wigs, scarves, hats, and makeup to the best advantage for your specific color palate, etc. as well as getting together to have fun and get free makeup.

Have fun with it! seof
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I don't know why Old Wive's get such a bad name, but they do! LOL LOL

Anyway, NorCal, I wish! I wish! I wish! Chemo and its "magic" affects us INTERNALLY, so nothing we do EXTERNALLY, such as cold/ heat, or anything else will stave off the hair loss. So sorry!

Wigs are really, really hot~ and I do not mean that in a cool, hip way! Unless you are going somewhere which for some reason, (and it is usually vanity~I suffer from that big time!) you feel you must wear a wig, opt for bandanas, hats, or say the hell with it and go commando! That has got to apply to Naked Heads during chemo, I hope! :-)

It all grows back, and in the meanwhile, know once again, that you are not alone in this>

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Thanks to all with your support. I have taken the "Look Good, Feel Better" class and it was really helpful. They even gave me a wig, which may be helpful if I need to look especially "spiffy" sometime. But, I've gotten hats and scarves because it's very hot here during the summer---and combined with hot flashes--- not a pleasant picture!! If we could only pick the areas for hair loss, we'd never need a razor again! ;>)
    O.K., we old wives rule! How about eating increased protein on the day of infusion and for a couple of days after,to decrease nausea?? Any old wives with good experience?

Hugs,
    Jan
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    NorcalJ said:

Thanks to all with your support. I have taken the "Look Good, Feel Better" class and it was really helpful. They even gave me a wig, which may be helpful if I need to look especially "spiffy" sometime. But, I've gotten hats and scarves because it's very hot here during the summer---and combined with hot flashes--- not a pleasant picture!! If we could only pick the areas for hair loss, we'd never need a razor again! ;>)
    O.K., we old wives rule! How about eating increased protein on the day of infusion and for a couple of days after,to decrease nausea?? Any old wives with good experience?

Hugs,
    Jan

Cardinal Rule of Chemotherapy~ DRINK WATER!!! You absolutely need to keep hydrated and flush your system! Sip sip sip all the time...cold or room temp~ your call. With lemon, with a sprinkling of crystal light, whatever it takes to get you to drink WATER! I am a lover of plain old water, but I know not all of us are.

As for your diet? Your body will most likely dictate what is good for you. The anti-nausea drugs are really effective these days, or so I have heard, and our medical team does not want us to be sick~ put the cancer center on speed dial and make them your best friends! During cancer treatment there is never a need to tough it out...bug the center if need be!

I was a bit queasy, but never ill during treatment, I hope things are the same for you as well! I kept a "just in case" brand new bucket by my bed, and as a comfort throw back from my childhood, a soft towel on my bed pillow. The comfort was there, the bucket remained unused! It has been suggested that the way we react to our first chemo is how we will react to all of them. If that is indeed true, here's hoping you sail through yours with minimal discomfort! If not, here's to hoping it's another Old Wive's Tale! Or would that be an Old Husband's Tale???

Keep us posted, we are with you, sister!

Hugs,
    Claudia