Chemo starts 6/26/08

Options
base61ball
base61ball Member Posts: 125
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My biggest fear is that I will be unable to work. I have scheduled my treatments for late Thursday afternoon. From what I understand, Friday I will be tired, Saturday more so. Since I live alone, my job is crucial to my survival - some of the blogs talk about taking a lot of time off from the treatment - my job won't sustain this (small co doesnt fall under the federal rules) and I don't get paid if I don't work - anyone else out there in the same predicament? I had lumpectomy and 14 lymph nodes removed 9 were cancerous. Peripherals were clear. Will have 4 c/a treatments 2 weeks apart, then the toxitere 4 treatments 2 weeks apart, followed by 6-1/2 weeks radiation m-f. After that, I intend to rent myself out as a night light as I am certain I will glow in the dark! Thanks for listening.

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Dear base: I had 8 rounds of cytoxan/adriamycin. I had mine on Friday every 3 weeks. I was good to go back to work on Monday. My suggestion is keep your work area disinfected. If you do desk work buy a jug of lysol wipes and wipe every surface down everyday. Especially the telephone and keyboard if you use a computer. Your first week after treatment try not to get to close to outsiders and avoid crowded places such as movies and malls. I use to go very early to get my shopping done so that I wouldn't be exposed to many people. I didn't need to have radiation since I had a mastectomy but I was told you get very tired about half way through. Schedule the radiation for the end of the day and not in the morning, if you do get tired you are going straight home after that and into bed. Good luck to you and keep us posted as to your progress. Hugs, Lili
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    I found the fatigue cumulative, but I was able to continue working as well. The advice you got about keeping your surroundings disinfected is GREAT; with a depleted white count due to chemo, we are at risk for infection. I do not know what the "personality" of your office is, but if you can be honest about needing a helping hand, or whatever it is which can make your treatment easier, by all means, do it! As women, many, if not most of us are Nurturers, and it is hard for us to ask for assistance, and accept help. A BIG word of advice: ACCEPT ANY AND ALL HELP OFFERED TO YOU! Generosity and fellow feeling may be all a person can give you, and believe it or not, you will be happy to receive!

On the other side of that coin, there will be a group who may surprise you when they back away from you...just be prepared. It is oftentimes because they feel helpless, afraid, and yes, some think Cancer just may be contagious. No rhyme or reason for how people are going to react to us!

Know this: we are an amazing group of strong, insightful, empathic women in here, and you will find a well-spring of info! We walk alongside you!

Keep us posted!

Btw...are you a Yankee Fan, by any chance? Your screenname just made me think of the fabulous Billy Crystal movie!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • jdubious
    jdubious Member Posts: 113
    Options
    hi!
    I worked the whole time too - I had dose dense treatments - 12 A/C (every week) followed by 6 taxol (every week). I worked in a cubicle that was pretty isolated and I kept my hands clean after being around others. I didn't have any issues except fatigue and pain toward the end of the treatments. No nausea or anything - I took every drug they would give me! I didn't have much trouble with the radiation either - just the changes in skin at the end of treatment, and I got really tired of going!

jill
  • Unknown
    Options
    I worked throughout treatment. I was tired sometimes but the worse was I was overemotional. Find an escape place and maybe let people know that you need a litte respite during the day. A place to cry or to stop crying. I think work helped me stay stronger. Working during radiation was no problem at all. Good luck, may it be easy for you! love, Joyce
  • base61ball
    Options

Dear base: I had 8 rounds of cytoxan/adriamycin. I had mine on Friday every 3 weeks. I was good to go back to work on Monday. My suggestion is keep your work area disinfected. If you do desk work buy a jug of lysol wipes and wipe every surface down everyday. Especially the telephone and keyboard if you use a computer. Your first week after treatment try not to get to close to outsiders and avoid crowded places such as movies and malls. I use to go very early to get my shopping done so that I wouldn't be exposed to many people. I didn't need to have radiation since I had a mastectomy but I was told you get very tired about half way through. Schedule the radiation for the end of the day and not in the morning, if you do get tired you are going straight home after that and into bed. Good luck to you and keep us posted as to your progress. Hugs, Lili

Thank you that is really good advice. I will get the lysol wipes (construction office - not the cleanest). Also about the scheduling.
  • base61ball
    Options
    chenheart said:

I found the fatigue cumulative, but I was able to continue working as well. The advice you got about keeping your surroundings disinfected is GREAT; with a depleted white count due to chemo, we are at risk for infection. I do not know what the "personality" of your office is, but if you can be honest about needing a helping hand, or whatever it is which can make your treatment easier, by all means, do it! As women, many, if not most of us are Nurturers, and it is hard for us to ask for assistance, and accept help. A BIG word of advice: ACCEPT ANY AND ALL HELP OFFERED TO YOU! Generosity and fellow feeling may be all a person can give you, and believe it or not, you will be happy to receive!

On the other side of that coin, there will be a group who may surprise you when they back away from you...just be prepared. It is oftentimes because they feel helpless, afraid, and yes, some think Cancer just may be contagious. No rhyme or reason for how people are going to react to us!

Know this: we are an amazing group of strong, insightful, empathic women in here, and you will find a well-spring of info! We walk alongside you!

Keep us posted!

Btw...are you a Yankee Fan, by any chance? Your screenname just made me think of the fabulous Billy Crystal movie!

Hugs,
    Claudia

Claudia - thanks for the insight. I like baseball but more about the world series - doesn't matter who is in it. (equal opportunity) My favorite sport is hockey - lots of action and excitement (I'm originally from Michigan) I feel better knowing you were able to work.
  • base61ball
    Options
    jdubious said:

hi!
    I worked the whole time too - I had dose dense treatments - 12 A/C (every week) followed by 6 taxol (every week). I worked in a cubicle that was pretty isolated and I kept my hands clean after being around others. I didn't have any issues except fatigue and pain toward the end of the treatments. No nausea or anything - I took every drug they would give me! I didn't have much trouble with the radiation either - just the changes in skin at the end of treatment, and I got really tired of going!

jill

Jill - thank you for the good information- this too, shall pass. The support out there is amazing.
  • base61ball
    Options
    unknown said:

I worked throughout treatment. I was tired sometimes but the worse was I was overemotional. Find an escape place and maybe let people know that you need a litte respite during the day. A place to cry or to stop crying. I think work helped me stay stronger. Working during radiation was no problem at all. Good luck, may it be easy for you! love, Joyce

Joyce thanks for the encouragement. I will get through this - just have to stay strong. With the wonderful support of the women out there it is so much easier! thanks to everyone for replying.
    0927 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I dreaded chemo more then anything, but it really wasn't that bad. I worked the whole time. I felt OK, but a little groggy. I never took the toxitere so I don't know about it. Good luck and stay optomistic.
  • lfly
    lfly Member Posts: 50
    Options
    My 1st DX i worked through all the chemo. My co workers were very helpful as they saw that i was very fatigued not my usual get it done self. I worked in a nursing home at that time. Then went home to three young children.

The 2nd DX i worked as a meter reader for the city. I walked 5-10 miles 5 days a week through chemo and radiation.

I stayed healthy for the most part by washing my hands a million times a day. That is the single most effective way for anyone to stay healthy.

You can do this. It may seem at times that it will never end but lots of women do it. It's possible as the Drs have so many wonderful meds for side effects. Don't be afraid to ask for them.

Hugs for you
  • base61ball
    Options
    lfly said:

My 1st DX i worked through all the chemo. My co workers were very helpful as they saw that i was very fatigued not my usual get it done self. I worked in a nursing home at that time. Then went home to three young children.

The 2nd DX i worked as a meter reader for the city. I walked 5-10 miles 5 days a week through chemo and radiation.

I stayed healthy for the most part by washing my hands a million times a day. That is the single most effective way for anyone to stay healthy.

You can do this. It may seem at times that it will never end but lots of women do it. It's possible as the Drs have so many wonderful meds for side effects. Don't be afraid to ask for them.

Hugs for you

I have been practicing the handwashing, hand sanitizer,paper towel on the doorknob, washing each leaf of lettuce both sides (boy that takes some time)etc so I could be "in the habit" when the time came. I appreciate your advice and support. Tomorrow is going to be interesting. I can't say I'm looking forward to it - but its one step closer to the end of the treatments, so thats positive, right?
  • energy
    energy Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi,
    I did my chemo dose dense, every 2 weeks instead of every 3 as recommended. I also had taxatere. I too work for a very small company and I am single, live alone, so I had to work (needed the $, job and insurance) I too did my chemo Thursday and went back to work on Monday. I was scared out of my mind of chemo, but what I found is it was not nearly as bad as I thought. Someone else posted they took every after effect drug offered and so did I. It is very do-able to work through chemo and radiation. It also helps to keep you focused. You will also find people will come out of the woodwork to help you. I have met so many wonderful people through my treatments. I am sure you will too.