caretaker, waiting for cat scan results

Options
krystiesq
krystiesq Member Posts: 240 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
so, i'm new to this site. My mom was dx in nov. 07 stage iv colon cancer. Colon resection, omentectomy, ovaries removed, couldn't remove uterus, no mets to liver. She just completed 12 rounds folfox + avastin. She had a cat scan on wednesday, and I'm awaiting the results. I've called ahead to see if I can know the results prior to her hearing. I'm so nervous. I just want to have good news to keep her motivated. This site has given me great perspective and the stories of hope are very encouraging, thank you to those who have put yourselves out there with your stories, they truly help. I've gotten my mom to eat very healthy now and she is taking a B-12 to help with neuropathy. Doc said plan is to discontinue oxliplatin for now, but to continue with folfox & avastin. I'll be distracted thankfully by reading posts on here until I get the call about results...wish us luck.

Comments

• jenhopesprays
    jenhopesprays Member Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wishing you lots of good luck!!!

BTW....do you know about the calcium magnesium help for neurapathy.

Check out this blog:
    http://www.revolutionhealth.com/blogs/heinzjosef

Jennifer
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Some advice - always have scans done at the beginning of the week, the waiting is awful. The results should be in by Monday. I wish your mom all the best. Hope the results are good.

Pam
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Good luck, dear. I hope the results are WONDERFUL.

Gail
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found us. This site was a godsend when I was dx in 2005. It helped me through everything and the people here are wonderful. I'm sending good vibes for the results. Waiting for test results in the worst. Anyone you talk to here will tell you they hate the wait. Too bad docs don't understand our anxiety? HUGS and tell us how it goes.

Lisa F.
  • pink05
    pink05 Member Posts: 550
    Options
    Welcome to the site. I am also a caretaker. My dad was diagnoses 2 1/2 years ago and it was very difficult for me. This forum has gotten me through so much. I will keep you and your mom in my prayers.

-Lee-
  • mindy10
    mindy10 Member Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Wishing you and your mom luck. I know exactly how you feel. When my dad was waiting for results it was so hard for me. I remember feeling sick to my stomach and couldnt eat hardly anything for days. Its so hard to wait. I wish they could give you the results the day you have the scan. I dont know why drs make you wait so long. Mindy
  • krystiesq
    krystiesq Member Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Well, we heard results today. Actually I was so nervous I called Friday and got a "shows improvement" answer. Today was more comprehensive. No new mets, tumor markers continue to decline. I was wrong about liver. She does have nodules there, but doc says disease is stable and not progressing. Her cea continues to go down and she is feeling overall well. They are discontinuing the oxliplatin, but continuing with 5fu, leucovorin & avastin. Mom is discouraged due to liver nodules. I am trying to get her focused on the fact that she could have heard a lot worse and that she is stable, no disease progression. The doc did mention the magnesium and calcium. I have her on a multi vit and b-12. Anyone have experience with the calcium and magnesium? Do you take a supplement in addition to a multivitamin?
  • prae55
    prae55 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    krystiesq said:

Well, we heard results today. Actually I was so nervous I called Friday and got a "shows improvement" answer. Today was more comprehensive. No new mets, tumor markers continue to decline. I was wrong about liver. She does have nodules there, but doc says disease is stable and not progressing. Her cea continues to go down and she is feeling overall well. They are discontinuing the oxliplatin, but continuing with 5fu, leucovorin & avastin. Mom is discouraged due to liver nodules. I am trying to get her focused on the fact that she could have heard a lot worse and that she is stable, no disease progression. The doc did mention the magnesium and calcium. I have her on a multi vit and b-12. Anyone have experience with the calcium and magnesium? Do you take a supplement in addition to a multivitamin?

Hi. My name is Paula and I have been dx with stage 2 colon cancer. I am going to chemo doc wed. to disucss chemo. anything I should ask?
    I'm sorry about your mom and tell her to remember that there is a purpose for her living..I want to share the info about colon cancer to everyone I meet becasue three people in my family have passed away and my oldest brother is being treated currently. It could have been prevented if we all had shared our info with each other. My kids are being tested for the genetic gene so they might not have to go through cancer.Thanks and my prayers are with you. Paula