Of haircuts and refrigerators...

Options
KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Isn't perspective wonderful? Here I sit, 2 years post any treatment (3.5 years rectal, 2 years breast) and going about living life!

My hair, which I lost not once but twice, is back in such force, that I have to get it cut every 5 weeks!!!

My refrigerator just went crazy, and I had to deal with that.

My point? I remember not too long ago how different my life was, taking treatments that made me feel less than well (I was one of those that reacted to EVERY chemo treatment..lol), and sporting a shiny head. Sure, I still do my annual and semi-annual checks (colonoscopy coming up..ewwww), but I am so grateful that I have the time to do the 'normal' living!!!!

I didn't think it would ever happen....

SOOOOO, 2 years out, life is still good, my cactus garden is blooming (one blooms only one night, once a year...and I caught it!!!), and I get to worry about things like haircuts and refrigerators!!!

Hugs, Kathi

Comments

• ralphjr1
    ralphjr1 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow, I can't wait to get to this state with my husband. I look forward to reaching that point. He was diagnosed with colon cancer in March 2008 and had a resection in May. He just started chemo on Tuesday. Thanks for sharing.
  • Annaleisa
    Annaleisa Member Posts: 2
    Options
    It is wonderful. I've been NED since Oct.'08! I was dx with lobular breast cancer on May 24,'07, and stage IV colon cancer the next day. What a year it's been! I've had major surgery, followed by 6 months of chemo and then lumpectomies, and now all is clear.

I'm going to get my hair cut this afternoon. Ain't life grand?
  • hoagiemom
    hoagiemom Member Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love your post. I just got back from my Onc office and I was thinking how a year ago I was going through treatment and just surviving each day. Now the port is gone and I'm feeling great. Sometimes it feels like a bad dream. I'm also grateful for each day and even thinking about moving into a bigger house. Something that I would've never done before cancer. I was afraid we couldn't afford or why spend our money on something like that. Now post cancer I'm all for change and doing things that make me happy. Isn't life funny how a year can change so much. Oh yes my hair is coming in thicker and prettier also.
  • Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • KFalvey
    KFalvey Member Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathi,

You are so right and I'm happy you are 2 years out now. I hope to make it that far. I do know that instead of complaining about mowing the yard, or vacuuming or any of the chores I do, I'm now grateful I'm able to do them again. For a while I wasn't sure I'd ever recover to this point. Thanks for reminding us to think about this.
    Kandy
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I, too, will never think of life in the same way again. It took me a year to get my cook top replaced properly and my feeling was - so what? I am only 9 most ned for colon cancer - but I am so glad. I never lost my hair - but I take really good care of it now.

A great message and reminder to all of us.

Pam
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    As always Kathi, what a great post! and the replies, WOW! how refreshing feeling to start my day. Thanks
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Gee Kathi, that is so true for us too! I never thought my husband and I would worry about normal things again. There are times when he even irritates me like he used to!!! (I swore that if we got through this I would never get mad or irritated with him again!) Life is great----with the good and even some of the not so good things!

Thanks for sharing your perspective!

Faith
  • Hanac
    Hanac Member Posts: 55
    Options
    I LOVE you Kathim...You give us a reason for living...I turned to my husband tonight and told him that I actually forgot to think about cancer today...What a weird feeling. Here's to haircuts and refrigerators...and heat...it is just too darn hot!!!

Hana
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    My husband, Don is NED from kidney '94 and neuroendocrine cancer '08 and I am NED from stage iv colon cancer '05 and both of us are looking forward to tomorrow. It has been a tough year, but we are so thankful for so many things. Don just came in from 18 holes of golf moaning about his game. Life is good!
    Jo Ann
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Kathi you are wonderful! You have put things in perspective and I try to tell myself every time I start complaining about 'life' issues that I might not have been around to do this. LIFE is grand!!

Lisa F