Pre-natal Vitamins

Options
mgm42
mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've heard that pre-natal vitamins help with post-treatment recuperation like hair growth, nail growth, neuropathy, etc. Has anyone else heard this or taken them as part of their recuperation? I'm really tempted except that my pharmacist might laugh at me, considering I'm 66 years old. But, he needs a laugh, too, every once in a while. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks. Hugs, Marilynn

Comments

• ninjamom
    ninjamom Member Posts: 142
    Options
    I've never heard that but I'm taking them. My primary doctor suggested them. I'm still going thru treatment so I couln't tell you about hair growth etc.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi Marilynn:
    I haven't heard anything about that but I think it would be a great idea since our cells are depleted after chemo and most probably need a lot of help to regenerate. My onc suggested I take a multi vitamin when I was going through treatment and after so I don't think they could hurt. Hugs, Lili
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Hi Marilynn:
    I haven't heard anything about that but I think it would be a great idea since our cells are depleted after chemo and most probably need a lot of help to regenerate. My onc suggested I take a multi vitamin when I was going through treatment and after so I don't think they could hurt. Hugs, Lili

Just make sure you check whatever you take, including vitamins, with your oncologist before you start taking them while you are in treatment. Too many vitamin supplements that you take intending to stop the harm that chemo does can interfere with the good that the chemo does while you are in treatment. After you have finished with chemo, you have more freedom to take whatever you want. Still, you might want to check with your oncologist to make sure you spending your money wisely. My oncologist swears by the cheapest multivitamin you can buy, but won't recommend anything more for me (I have an aromatase inhibitor, but no chemo so far). He also warned me that I no longer need the vitamins with iron in them like I did when I was premenapausal. Extra calcium though, is needed now thanks to a surgical menapause and the meds I have to take. So ask your doctor and enjoy the smiles if they recommend the pre-natal stuff!
  • PEGGY3B
    PEGGY3B Member Posts: 3
    Options
    PRE NAT VITS!
    I TAKE THE PRE NATS EVERY DAY. GOT MINE AT VIT. WORLD. YOU CAN GET THEM AT MOST HEALTH FOOD STORES.I ALSO TAKE A MULTI VIT EVERY DAY ALONG WITH OTHER SUPPLEMENTS THAT MY ONCO KNOWS ABOUT.I KNOW THIS HAS HELPED ME VERY MUCH!!!I JUST HAD MY THIRD DOSE OF A/C ON THE 21st. I ALSO FOUND A GREAT ENERGY DRINK CALLED (FRS, HEALTHY ENERGY)= FULL OF MORE VITS!!!
    (BC,3B. 6MONTHS OF CHEMO- SURGERY, THEN RAD.)
    PEGGY
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    cabbott said:

Just make sure you check whatever you take, including vitamins, with your oncologist before you start taking them while you are in treatment. Too many vitamin supplements that you take intending to stop the harm that chemo does can interfere with the good that the chemo does while you are in treatment. After you have finished with chemo, you have more freedom to take whatever you want. Still, you might want to check with your oncologist to make sure you spending your money wisely. My oncologist swears by the cheapest multivitamin you can buy, but won't recommend anything more for me (I have an aromatase inhibitor, but no chemo so far). He also warned me that I no longer need the vitamins with iron in them like I did when I was premenapausal. Extra calcium though, is needed now thanks to a surgical menapause and the meds I have to take. So ask your doctor and enjoy the smiles if they recommend the pre-natal stuff!

No difference
    I had a conversation with my surgeon about vitamins and he said they are all the same and not to waste the extra money on the name brands. He buys whatever kind they have at Sams Club. He should know, I guess!
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    PEGGY3B said:

PRE NAT VITS!
    I TAKE THE PRE NATS EVERY DAY. GOT MINE AT VIT. WORLD. YOU CAN GET THEM AT MOST HEALTH FOOD STORES.I ALSO TAKE A MULTI VIT EVERY DAY ALONG WITH OTHER SUPPLEMENTS THAT MY ONCO KNOWS ABOUT.I KNOW THIS HAS HELPED ME VERY MUCH!!!I JUST HAD MY THIRD DOSE OF A/C ON THE 21st. I ALSO FOUND A GREAT ENERGY DRINK CALLED (FRS, HEALTHY ENERGY)= FULL OF MORE VITS!!!
    (BC,3B. 6MONTHS OF CHEMO- SURGERY, THEN RAD.)
    PEGGY

Thanks
    Thanks for all of the comments about vitamins. I finally saw my onc who told me generic Centrum Silver was fine along with additional calcium and Vitamin D. Since I posted my initial comment in June, my hair is growing in and looking pretty decent. By the way, the calcium I take not only has vitamin D but has glucosimine (sp) and chondroitin. I'm on Arimidex and she said that this is a good thing because of the potential of Arimidex to affect the joints and bones. So far, so good. Hugs, Marilynn