Financial Assistance specifically for Child Care

Dlwdmb Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
I was first diagnosed when pregnant with my first child. For quite some time I have been fortune enough to have my parents staying at my house with my husband and I to help take care of my son. Unfortunately, they are unable to permanently stay living in my house and must move home now. Can you tell me if any one knows of any federal/state or local government financial assistance that will help me pay for child care? I wish more than anything that I was able to take care of my son all on my own however, as we all know how overwhelming cancer can be, I am simply unable to do so.
Any information you can share either it be direct sources you know of or leads for me to chase would be most greatly appreciated.


  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    I'm not sure how much this site can help you, but check this one out:

    This site is put up by the National Institute of Health or some such, and is government-supported. You might also want to look at a few previous posts. TereB responded to one with some excellent suggestions, and they may apply for you as well.

    Good luck and take care,

  • ljoy
    ljoy Member Posts: 94
    I qualified for Social Security Disability because of my tonsil cancer. You may want to check with SS to see what options you have. Also your local cancer center or society to see what they offer. They have lots of support and information that may fit your particuliar needs.

    Stay strong and good luck.
  • TereB
    TereB Member Posts: 286 Member
    Hey Debbie,

    Sorry I couldn't get the information to you yesterday.

    Here are a few places where you can find more information:

    Cancer Care, a non-profit org., offers free support and counseling for cancer patients by oncology social workers. They have face-to-face counseling and counceling on the phone. Support groups on the phone are available too and are moderated by an oncology social worker. Call 800-813-HOPE. They can also give you info about financial resources. Check their website:

    Gilda's Club - - they offer free social and emotional support. Not sure if they may have financial information but check it out just in case.

    Live Strong - - offers one-on-one support.

    American Cancer Society (here) can also give you financial, support, etc. information available in different cities.

    Hope this is useful.

    All the best,