Fingernails - Going, Going, Gone!

Options
mgm42
mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've been complaining for a while about my fingernails since chemo. This morning, my thumbnail fell off and it looks like I may lose at least several more. I know chemo affects nails, but, please, if this has happened to you please let me know if your nails grew back and if they were "normal" once again. Chemo seems to be the gift that keeps on giving! Ha!!!! Thanks. Hugs, Marilynn

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Oh yeah~ the fingernail thing!It happened to me too, and a few of my toenails as well. With everything else, it does reverse itself! I imagine that nails are similar physiologically to hair. And we know that our hair comes back! The nails will too.

Isn't it wonderful how all of these "reminders" keep us humble just in case cancer isn't humbling enough??? LOL

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • mgm42
    Options
    chenheart said:

Oh yeah~ the fingernail thing!It happened to me too, and a few of my toenails as well. With everything else, it does reverse itself! I imagine that nails are similar physiologically to hair. And we know that our hair comes back! The nails will too.

Isn't it wonderful how all of these "reminders" keep us humble just in case cancer isn't humbling enough??? LOL

Hugs,
    Claudia

Thanks for your comments. You are so right!!!!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hi Marilyn, Fingernails falling off----ewwwwww! Thaaats gross! I am so glad that my Taxol treatments did not affect my nails. Now I know why my onc. kept checking my nails. Hang in there through yet another one of cancer's unpleasantries. Take care, Eil
  • blessing43
    blessing43 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi Marilynn
    I just noticed this morning that my nail beds are turning purple. Did yours change color before falling off? I had just one chemo session out of 6, and this is happening already. Hang in there and I pray as Chenheart said, they will grow back. Hugs and God bless.
  • Unknown
    Options
    They may come back stronger. I lost my toenails and they are half grown back, plenty strong. My eyelashes came back thicker and longer. How is your hair doing? I have been going around town with my very short hair. I got a long, strange look from an elderly lady. At first, I thought she was gawking at me disapprovingly and I considered giving a haughty return stare. Then I thought she may be looking twice to see if I was a survivor. That she had been in my place once. So of course that stopped the anger. And, what a lesson for me too in remembering to give people the benefit of the doubt. Now I may start turning everyone into a survivor in my imagination.
    Let your fingernails go. The rest of Marilyn is what we care about! love, Joyce
  • hward2007
    hward2007 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    What type of chemo? I am the nut...doing Taxol, go for 6th treatment in morning, my toe nails have been purple among other things, been under the weather, think I am getting a sinus infection. Any way which chemo are we talking about?
    Heather
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi Marilynn:
    My fingernails did not fall off, but the nail beds both in my hands and toes turned a dark purple. It does all get better once you're done with chemo and yes they do grow back. Hugs, Lili
  • mgm42
    Options
    hward2007 said:

What type of chemo? I am the nut...doing Taxol, go for 6th treatment in morning, my toe nails have been purple among other things, been under the weather, think I am getting a sinus infection. Any way which chemo are we talking about?
    Heather

The drugs I was on were Taxotere (taxoterrorism) and cytoxan. I had four rounds, three weeks apart. It's been 7 weeks since I finished up with the chemo. And, still the memory lingers on with these latest side effects. Ugh!
  • bwilson
    bwilson Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I lost all of my fingernails and all of my toenails. They have mostly grown back. Toemnails take longer. I take prenatal vitamins (though not pregnancy, thank goodness) and it seems to help a lot. The fingernail problem was really annoying because I could not pick up anything. They fell off well down in the nailbed. It didn't hurt only bothered me. I never chewed my fingernails as a child and I wonder how anyone was able to do anything without them. My hair has also come back (finally) and it came back curly. Yippee! I don't expect it to stay that way but I have gotten so used to no hair, I am going to keep it extremely short from now on. Hang in there, it does get better.
  • mgm42 said:

The drugs I was on were Taxotere (taxoterrorism) and cytoxan. I had four rounds, three weeks apart. It's been 7 weeks since I finished up with the chemo. And, still the memory lingers on with these latest side effects. Ugh!

Marilyn, you are contributing to my husband thinking I am crazy because I go into my room and on to this site and read sooo funny things like taxoterrorism. He hears me laughing like a crazy woman....or a survivor. Thanks for the laugh! love you, Joyce