1st Anniversary

Options
mmontero38
mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hey guys:
What a year it has been. It seems sometimes that I've been to hell and back, I think back to when I was first diagnosed, the fear of the unknown, the why me, and the emotional ups and downs and can't believe that I made it. The chemo, the thyroid, the reconstruction, what a LONG year. But here it is my 1st anniversary. To all of you who have survived longer and to all my friends on this board, I am honored to have met you and want to thank you for all your advice. Joyce and Chen, thank you for your insightful stories and good humor, you've helped me more than you could ever know. As I sit here typing I have tears of joy streaming down my face for having met such a wonderful group of women here on this board. Thank you all for putting up with me and for keeping me going. I love you all, Lili

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I'm just about to 2 years, the end of this month. I agree, that first year IS pretty long!!!

BUT, you have sooooo many years ahead of you...my fav saying:

"Live well, Love true, Laugh often"

Hugs, Kathi
  • liz11808
    liz11808 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Hello Lili,
    A big congratulation to you on your first anniversary. Please celebrate with me as I'm done with my chemo, long way to go but I'm here growing stronger with all your support. I hope that the Tamoxifen will be gentle on me too with less side effects.

God bless, Liz
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Oh, how wonderful is this! One year and counting. You deserve to celebrate, dance, run around the block, sing from the rooftops, whatever you choose to do. My heart is filled with happiness for you. Hugs, Marilynn
  • Unknown
    Options
    Lili, Congratulations on your anniversary! They say it gets easier every year that passes. I wish you many, many more happy, HEALTHY years! Eil
  • Unknown
    Options
    Huff, puff, Hey, Lili, I am running five months behind you! Thank you for sharing your anniversary and showing me the markers up ahead. Thanks for giving me something to celebrate with you today. Yahoo!

I remember when I was diagnosed, the nurse practioner looked level into my eyes and said, "You will have a rough year, but you will get through it" Easier sailing from now on. And look there it is 365, no 364 days ahead, year two! love and happiness, Joyce
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    KathiM said:

I'm just about to 2 years, the end of this month. I agree, that first year IS pretty long!!!

BUT, you have sooooo many years ahead of you...my fav saying:

"Live well, Love true, Laugh often"

Hugs, Kathi

How true Kathi, we all have a new perspective on life. Too bad it takes this to realize it. Lili
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! It is truly amazing, isn't it? A long year to be sure, and yet here you are on the "other side" of cancer! I am honored to know you as well; and pleased that I could help make your journey even the tiniest bit easier. You have shown yourself courageous and strong~ as my sweet Reggie likes to say: We put the GRRRR in Girl-Power!

Here's to you, and many more celebrations along the way.

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • coug90
    coug90 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    I'm three years out - and yeah the first year is hell! I still find it amazing that I can make it through a day now and suddenly realize that I didn't actively think about cancer. It happens. I've begun to think that I was given a strange type of gift - the opportunity to see that life is fragile and meant to be lived instead of drifted through. So now I squeeze the energy out of nearly every day. (Haven't gotten it down to the perfection of living every day yet!)

God Bless. Stay Healthy. Stay Focused. LIVE.

HUGS
    Sharon
  • jackiemanz
    jackiemanz Member Posts: 85
    Options
    CONGRATS. You are so right Lili the first year is a ruff one. But having this message board and the people here make it alot easier to deal with the situation we are in. I celebrated my first anniversary this past February.

Again congradulation.

Jackie
  • Jedensin
    Jedensin Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Congrats MM,,,smile and stay happy, we enjoy you so much!!!!! Jedensin
  • bwilson
    bwilson Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Just a question for all of those who have been there. Does the emotional stuff get better. Sometimes I feel really able to handle anything and then other times I feel like bawling. I sometimes can't handle change. My son and his family were here for a few days and I just go to pieces when they leave. I hate feeling like this. I am taking an antidepressant but am weaning myself off of them. I hope to be able to cope much better in the future than now. This coming January will be a year from the end of my treatment.
  • bwilson said:

Just a question for all of those who have been there. Does the emotional stuff get better. Sometimes I feel really able to handle anything and then other times I feel like bawling. I sometimes can't handle change. My son and his family were here for a few days and I just go to pieces when they leave. I hate feeling like this. I am taking an antidepressant but am weaning myself off of them. I hope to be able to cope much better in the future than now. This coming January will be a year from the end of my treatment.

bwilson, why don't you write a separate post with your concerns and let everyone respond to your questions? I am only 7 months along the road and do feel like things get easier, but there are more experienced sisters who can answer. I will tell you that writing on this board has increased my emotional survival rate 100%. I hope you find this a good resource. love, Joyce
  • angelbb11
    angelbb11 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Congratulations! August 4th will be 3 years since my surgery! Sometimes it doesn't seem real until I get undressed, but then I get over it more quickly now.