Need Advice

Options
valley
valley Member Posts: 94
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My husband had a pet scan may 21st. He was scheduled the following week May 28th for the results. The doctors office called and cancelled the appointment on the 28th the doctor was out of town. So I finally called on Tuesday the secretary said he didn't like to give results over the phone so I had to make an appointment for June 12th. This will be 3 weeks since his scan much to long to wait very stressful. Has anyone had this happen? Do they give results over the phone? In the past its been no problem his appointments have always been 1 week after scan.

Comments

• KFalvey
    KFalvey Member Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've always made arrangements with the Radiologist office to have a copy of the written results and CD of the scan ready for me as soon as it is done, and got them when they were done, usually the next day unless it is on Friday. I get the copies for my own records and if it does show anything, you will need it for follow-up appointments. That is a long wait and I don't think I could wait that long. Try the Radiologist who did the scan. Good Luck!
    Kandy
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    I get my results over the phone, but everyone has the right to get copies of their results from the organization that performs the test.

You may want to contact the organization where the scan was performed and at least pick-up a copy of the written report.
  • SoftaRae
    SoftaRae Member Posts: 3
    Options
    If you're really talking to a secretary or "the appointment desk," I would call back and ask to talk to your doctor's nurse. He/she may not want (or be authorized) to give the results over the phone either, but it is important to tell him/her your feelings about the delay and how stressful it is. There may well be a good reason for their policy, but it still needs to be humanized.
    SoftaRae
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Even a week is a long time. My oncologist always says to make my appointment with him 2 days after the scan. My primary care starts monitoring for results the day of the scan and I usually know within 24 hours. My oncologist and his nurse practitioner are both available to give results. 3 weeks is nuts!! I would get very aggressive with the doctor - I am assuming it is your husband's oncologist or GI doctor. Can his primary speed things up.

Pam