Macrobiotics Question

Options
Jbeckerdite
Jbeckerdite Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello,

First of all, thank you to all of you who were so supportive of me when I was first diagnosed (only 1 week ago today officially). I've been reading a lot about this Macrobiotic diet and how cancer survivors are saying how beneficial it can be.

I know that a few of you here have made the switch, but I want to hear all opinions on it. Is it really hard to do? Did you use it in conjunction with the traditional treatments (i.e. surgery/chemo/radiation)? Should I ask my oncologist about it tomorrow (I meet with him for the first time at 3:30 tomorrow)? What is your opinion on it?

I'm just curious. I'm thinking that ANYTHING I can do to help my chances I should probably do. I don't even know what stage I am yet, but I'm trying to be proactive.

Comments

• 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

Macrobiotics can be quite helpful for some so I combined a simple macro diet with a program of juicing fresh organic veggies. I didn't get too deeply into it--just steamed veggies and brown rice with seaweeds (nori rice wraps), baked root veggies, burdock root etc. It was a great way to detox gently while I juiced. I went vegan for about 6 months to give my body a time to detoxify and heal and then eventually added salmon to my diet. (great omega-3s)

Have you read When Hope Never Dies by Marlene McKenna? She has a great testimony about healing her cancer with a macro diet.

I did Traditional Chinese Medicine so macro eating tied in with this healing philosophy--eating toward the "center" (not getting too yin or too yang), balancing your pH, all the while allowing your body to heal--which is what it really wants to do if given the chance.

I chose to not do any chemo for my Stage III colon cancer so I didn't use it in conjunction with any Western treatments....only in conjunction with my juicing like I said.

This worked for me but everyone is different.

I have never regretted going this route and I have remained cancer free with no recurrences for almost 7 years.

I wish you the best.

peace, emily
  • moniquebar
    moniquebar Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Hello,

First off, I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis, however, I am happy to hear that you are being proactive. Regarding a macrobiotic diet—two years ago, when I was first diagnosed with Stage III colon cancer and was undergoing FOLFOX I tried my mightiest to eat as healthily as possible (i.e. lots of leafy greens, grains, juicing etc.). However, my delicate intestines paid the price and I was ravaged by diarrhea. After consulting my oncologist I was told to, while undergoing treatment, eat a very bland diet: white rice, white fish and to avoid fruits and vegetables, unless boiled. Of course, I was very frustrated with the advice as I wanted to remain as healthy as possible. That said, my diarrhea ceased which was a blessed relief.

Diet is very, very important. Especially when one is finished chemotherapy. Recent evidence allows that one of the reasons Western countries have such a high incidence of colorectal cancer is due to our diet. Evidently olive oil is a fantastic preventative measure, as is a diet high in fruits and vegetables.

Further, those who exercise moderately more than four hours a week lower their incidence or recurrence by fifty percent (again, I found it difficult to exercise while undergoing treatment, but made sure to exercise when my strength returned).

Here are two links relating to the benefits of diet and exercise:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/treatment/colon-and-rectal/exercise

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/15/eveningnews/main2575999.shtml

as well as a skeptic's look at a macrobiotic diet:

http://skepdic.com/macrobiotics.html

Best,

Monique