Side effects from taxotere!!!! UPDATE

Options
babebussie
babebussie Member Posts: 150
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I did my 1st round of taxotere on the 20th and last night is when my frigging back hurt me so bad i wanted to take my life. The pain was so severe i couldnt move. It pounded for hours and hours. I couldnt walk, crawl, stand or do anything. Is this what this side effect is for this med? I feel better today just tired from being in sooooo much pain last night. My body has to recover from that intense pain i had in my lower back. I couldnt understand if it was the shot or a side effect from the taxotere. Whew!!!!! I will definately tell my onc that i wont do my 2nd shot until after my cruise because if this is gonna happen again i sure dont wanna be on my cruise when it does. I also didnt take any pain meds, because i know you guys are saying well did you take any pain medication. Well no i didnt. I can't swallow pills:-( so i suffered through that horrible horrible pain all because i cant swallow a damn pill. But you know what if that happens again i will have to crush up something and put it in apple sauce and take it that way. I never wanna feel that kinda pain again. I told my daughter this morning that her birth was cake compared to this pain i felt last night.

Thanks for listening.

Comments

• NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    Sounds like you were really run through the mill with that pain. I'm sorry you had to suffer so badly. There are lots of pain meds out there. You need to take something the minute you start to feel the pain increasing, or just starting. There are liquid versions of many meds. If you can't swallow because of treatments causing swallowing problems, there are things to take to eleviate that FIRST, then it makes swallowing easier. If it's because you have difficulty swallowing large pills (my daughter has that problem), you can cut them up or crush them like you mentioned (unless they're time release). Take lots of water to minimize the taste. Or, if all else fails, you can actually take almost any oral med, rectally if you dunk it in lots of Vaseline. The important thing is to take the meds BEFORE it has you climbing the walls. Oncologists are usually great about dealing with pain and know all the tricks of the trade to keep you comfortable,so tell the doc as soon as possible.

I hope this helps a little.
    Consider this a BIG hug. Keep us posted.
  • sylva
    sylva Member Posts: 80
    Options
    When I had my fist round of Taxotere/Cytoxan, I had very bad pain in my lower back, and it was so intense it was hard to walk. After having that pain for a couple of days, I decided to take the pain medication the oncologist gave me... the next day the pain was gone. The doctor told me was due to the Neulasta shot, and sometimes the pain happens only with the first treatment.
    I got the second, and no pain this time. Let's see what happen with the 3rd round on June 4.
    They also told me at the doctor's office to take the pain medication before it gets bad.
    So many changes... we never know what to expect.
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Taxotere is wicked against cancer cells but it's also wicked against other cells in your body, including those in your muscles. I think you are wise to see if you can postpone your 2nd infusion until after your cruise. You want to enjoy the cruise - not spend time sitting or laying down because your legs and lower back ache, your bones are screaming or any other side effect. The benefit of treatment far outweighs the side effects though but try telling that to someone who is going through every side effect known to modern medicine - which of course is me! I'm 5+ weeks out from my last taxotere round and still aching from the waist down, still have neuropathy in fingers and toes, and still have that damnable salty taste in my mouth which gags me from time to time. BUT, I'm doing well with my breast cancer and that's all that really counts. Hang in there Babe. Enjoy your cruise - then get back to work getting rid of those nasty cancer cells. Hugs, Marilynn aka the "Hampster."
  • babebussie
    babebussie Member Posts: 150
    Options
    mgm42 said:

Taxotere is wicked against cancer cells but it's also wicked against other cells in your body, including those in your muscles. I think you are wise to see if you can postpone your 2nd infusion until after your cruise. You want to enjoy the cruise - not spend time sitting or laying down because your legs and lower back ache, your bones are screaming or any other side effect. The benefit of treatment far outweighs the side effects though but try telling that to someone who is going through every side effect known to modern medicine - which of course is me! I'm 5+ weeks out from my last taxotere round and still aching from the waist down, still have neuropathy in fingers and toes, and still have that damnable salty taste in my mouth which gags me from time to time. BUT, I'm doing well with my breast cancer and that's all that really counts. Hang in there Babe. Enjoy your cruise - then get back to work getting rid of those nasty cancer cells. Hugs, Marilynn aka the "Hampster."

Marilynn, are you taking taxotere by itself? How many rounds do you have to have and other than the side effects you mentioned what else do you experience from it. I'm only getting taxotere, 4 rounds. I had 1 already! Plz advise.
  • Texylin
    Texylin Member Posts: 43
    Options
    I had 7 rounds of taxotere. Was suposed to have 8 but Dr. stopped it because of neurapathy in my feet. Didn't have the back pain you've had. Had to have shots 5 days a week because WBC was so low. My fingernails got really loose and I'm still having a lot of problems with feet and I finished taxotere in Sept. Dr. put me on femara after the chemo and I'm having a lot more side effects from it than I did from the taxotere. My joints in ankles, shoulders and hands really bother me and getting up from sitting is kinda like being 80 yrs old. Everything hurts till I move around for awhile. I hope your treatments get easier for you.
    Hugs and Prayers
    Linda