Occasional glass of wine?

vchildbeloved
vchildbeloved Member Posts: 133
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi, Val here, stage 3 colon cancer. I was wondering during any of your chemo treatments did you enjoy an occasional glass of wine? My doc. says it's OK but I'm hesitating>

Comments

• usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Hi Val!

I asked my oncologist the same question. She said an occasional glass of wine during my off weeks of chemo would be okay...read that as one glass only, maybe once or twice over the course of my six months of chemo, while on break and if there was a special occasion. I indulged once or twice during my six months on chemo.

I'm sure there are some who would disagree with me here, but as a bit of a oenophile, I think the feeling of joy in having a glass of wine once or twice during the six months of chemo did me more good than harm.

If you choose to enjoy a little wine, only do so while on break and after you have consulted with your doc after a blood test/liver panel.

Cheers!
    Katie
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    This is going to be a very controversial reply. My oncologist told me that an occasion glass of wine during chemo was no problem, they only worried about dehydration. I was so sick during chemo, I didn't care and didn't drink. However, my Dad was a major oenophile and I like wine, so now that I am done and NED, I do have wine some nights - many nights actually. HOwever, I do limit the amnount and how often. I think if you feel well enought during treatment, have a glass the lowering of anxiety is probably good for you. I hope I am not thrown off the board for this. But we all have to go on living and enjoying it.

Pam
  • vchildbeloved
    vchildbeloved Member Posts: 133
    pamness said:

This is going to be a very controversial reply. My oncologist told me that an occasion glass of wine during chemo was no problem, they only worried about dehydration. I was so sick during chemo, I didn't care and didn't drink. However, my Dad was a major oenophile and I like wine, so now that I am done and NED, I do have wine some nights - many nights actually. HOwever, I do limit the amnount and how often. I think if you feel well enought during treatment, have a glass the lowering of anxiety is probably good for you. I hope I am not thrown off the board for this. But we all have to go on living and enjoying it.

Pam

Thank you guys. I am not aregular drinker but just felt like enjoying a relaxing evening with my hubby. Love talking with you folks.

Have a wonderful memorial day!!
    Valerie
  • jenhopesprays
    jenhopesprays Member Posts: 128 Member
    I think a little wine is a good thing.

Check out this link to read what the famous Dr Lenz has to say about it:

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/blogs/heinzjosef/alcohol-and-chemother-5989

Hugs

Jennifer
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member

I think a little wine is a good thing.

Check out this link to read what the famous Dr Lenz has to say about it:

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/blogs/heinzjosef/alcohol-and-chemother-5989

Hugs

Jennifer

I looked at the web site. It was quite funny.

Pam
  • Hanac
    Hanac Member Posts: 55
    Hi,
    When they were telling me about the cold sensitivity caused by Oxaliplatin, my response was "...so what you are saying is red wine not white...?" LOL!

I enjoyed wine the whole time (Still do!) I think is important to continue to enjoy your life..as long as your Conc says that it is ok...and there are no liver issues...I say go for it!

Hana
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Hanac said:

Hi,
    When they were telling me about the cold sensitivity caused by Oxaliplatin, my response was "...so what you are saying is red wine not white...?" LOL!

I enjoyed wine the whole time (Still do!) I think is important to continue to enjoy your life..as long as your Conc says that it is ok...and there are no liver issues...I say go for it!

Hana

Hi Hana,

I appreciate your point of view! Red or white?....LOL!!! Thanks for sharing.

You should join us for ColonPalooza in San Francisco in November! We're planning a SemiColon whine bus to California's wine country, Napa and Sonoma. It will be a blast!

If you would like to know more about ColonPalooza, drop me an e-mail here at CSN.

Hugs!
    Katie