Chemo #1 done...11 to go

Options
Madre
Madre Member Posts: 123
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
First off, thank you to everyone that responded to me last time. This is a great site with good people. Had my first chemo this past Wednesday along with a study drug of cetexamab (sp). Not pleasant to say the least. Friday & Saturday were the worst! No appetite, pain in my abdomen for 3 days. Today is Monday (Happy Memorial Day)and I can finally eat!! I lost 18 pounds before chemo and can't afford to lose much more. I try to keep postive, but it isn't easy. What kind of side effects have others had? I am doing Folfox every other week and an antibody called cetexamab (erbitux) every week. I am trying to judge when I can go back to work and after this weekend, it doesn't seem promising. I know it is early, but I have never been one to be patient. Thank you for all your support. I'm glad I found this site!!

Comments

• sladich
    sladich Member Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I am a stage IV (dx 9/04). I was on the FOLFOX regimen and I was unable to work during the 6 months of treatment, mainly due to fatigue, nausea, sensitivity to cold (I live in NY and my treatments were Dec-May). I've never been on the erbitux. Best of luck with your treatments and if you are unable to go back to work, then don't. Your health is much more important. Keep us posted on your treatments.

Debbie
  • Madre
    Madre Member Posts: 123
    Options
    sladich said:

I am a stage IV (dx 9/04). I was on the FOLFOX regimen and I was unable to work during the 6 months of treatment, mainly due to fatigue, nausea, sensitivity to cold (I live in NY and my treatments were Dec-May). I've never been on the erbitux. Best of luck with your treatments and if you are unable to go back to work, then don't. Your health is much more important. Keep us posted on your treatments.

Debbie

I too live in NY. How many days after chemo did you feel lousy? Did you make it through all 12 treatments? How bad do the side effects need to get before they decide you've had enough? Have you been NED since treatment ended? Sorry for all the questions, thank you for sharing.
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    Hi. I did FOLFOX plus Avastin, so slightly different regime. The side effects are very variable, as you can imagine. I was able to work during the time I had chemo, but my job is quite flexible. I had chemo Wed-Sat, felt lousy Sunday, felt half-decent by Monday (made it into work), then pretty good for the next 9 days. Main side effects for me were nausea and fatigue -- but it was manageable. I tried to walk most days (those 9 days, I mean!). But, each person is different -- we all have to respect our own bodies and their responses....Tara ps as for food -- I lost several pounds each cycle, but put them back on before the next cycle -- I found I had to be quite vigilant about eating -- frequent small meals/snacks, rather than 3 big meals, was helpful for me.
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I am almost reluctant to reply to this. I was stage IIIA and had folfox - no ebuterix. My doctor told me that 1/3 of all people tolerate it well, 1/3 tolerate it with adjustments, and 1/3 have a really hard time. I, unfortunately, fell into the last 1/3. I had my dose of oxalyplatin lowered repeatedly, I only finished 5 out of 8 rounds - and by the end, they were probably measuring the oxalyplatin with an eyedropper. However, I did tolerate the 5FU and leukovorin, and later on the radiation with the 5FU (all but 3 days). I am 9 mos. post treatment and currently NED. As my oncologist explained to me, oxalyplatin is still somewhat experimental, definitely beneficial, but amounts are not really known. How long did exhaustion last - 10 out of 14 days. Nausea - I was on Emend, Zolfran and Attivan and Compazine. I learned how to control it eventually, it got easier as I went along. I had problems with constipation and diarrhea, which I also got better at controlling. It was hard for me to take all those pills but I eventually learned to stay aheadof the symtoms. I didn't work most of the time (all but about 3 days) and eventually accepted the fact I couldn't. I asked for help from my family and friends, I couldn't have done it otherwise. The good days were really good days and the bad days were horrible. I am now cancer free - and the rest is fading into memory. Stay strong, do what you need to do.
  • doris2657
    doris2657 Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi
    I'm on folfox plus oxiplatin going for my 3 treatment this week,I'm doing pretty good no nausea so far,but very fetigue is bad for 4 days after treatment then I'm ok,considering the treatments they had 10 yrs ago I consider myself lucky that is all the effects I have from this.

Good luck and God bless you
    Doris
  • kat1960
    kat1960 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi. I am cc Stage III, 2 out of 19 nodes positive in Nov. Surgery Jan 4th. Because of rough times in hosp, I started chemo early March. Same as you but no Erbitux. I just finished my halfway treatment (out of 12) and I can honestly say the side effects are not worse yet than the second or so. Mostly fatigue. I get hooked up Weds and off Friday. I work by Monday and so I have a pretty good 7-9 days. I haven't had any adjustments to meds, only steroids due to racing heartbeat, and my onc gave me an extra week off after the 5th to get my strength back. It did help. You might not have it any worse than your first time and then maybe after a few you'll notice more. But it isn't as bad as I thought and you will push through it - the side effects are better than the disease and they will go away. Hang in there! I marked each treatment coming up on a beautiful calendar and as I finished each I put a big red X through the "cure-all" days. It made me feel good to see how many (and how quickly) it does move along.
    Cheers - Kathy