Taxol & Taxotere

Options
babebussie
babebussie Member Posts: 150
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Are these two drugs the same? I'm currently getting taxotere for 4 rounds. I had my 1st round on the 20th and the next is schedualed for the 10th of June. I'm going on a cruise on the 16th of june and wanted to ask if i would be cutting it kind of close to my departure date. I wanna have a good time on my cruise and dont wanna be feeling yuky because with giving myself shots for my blood count for 5 days after the infusion i dont want my bones to hurt. I was going to ask my onc. to push my next treatment for when i get back on the 20th, so that monday i'll do a treatment.
I'm only getting taxotere by itself so i'm hoping i feel okay for the next 3 treatments. Can anyone give me any input on all the questions i just asked. Plz advise!

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I remember a post on this board explaining the difference between taxol and taxotere. As I remember the post, they are both derivitives of the Yew tree, but one is from a European Yew and the other from an American Yew, or something like that. I have a vague feeling that taxotere is a little gentler. But, these questions can be researched at Chemocare.com as well as some of your other questions about POSSIBLE side effects. The problem is that no one can tell you how your body will react. I told a dear friend of mine (and you know who you are hampster) that taxol was a walk in the park for me but her experience was a little more like a walk through hell. The best guide I think will be how you have handled it so far. Talking to your onc. about the strategies of timing seems a good idea. He/she should have the experience and knowledge to provide safe options and steer you away from any that will interfere with your treatment. Maybe moving up your infusion date by a couple of days would be useful if your blood counts are good. I had my taxols every two weeks rather than three, with neulasta shots to boost bone marrow. It is my understanding (again, check with onc.) that the chemo pretty well washes through and then the rest of the time is recovery period.
    In short, pay cose attention to your body for this round and call your onc. after you see how you do and plot out a strategy. And please write and tell us about the cruise! Love, Joyce
  • sylva
    sylva Member Posts: 80
    Options
    I'm new in all this but I can tell you my own experience. I will get my 3rd round of Taxotere/Cytoxan on June 4, you are only getting the Taxotere, that's why maybe it's different. But what I noticed is that I'm very very sensible to the sun and I get burned very easy although I use a 45 SPF protection.

We all take it so different. It would be so nice for you to have your trip and recharge your batteries, but maybe you need to be sure if the sun is not going to burn your skin. Good luck!!
  • babebussie
    Options
    sylva said:

I'm new in all this but I can tell you my own experience. I will get my 3rd round of Taxotere/Cytoxan on June 4, you are only getting the Taxotere, that's why maybe it's different. But what I noticed is that I'm very very sensible to the sun and I get burned very easy although I use a 45 SPF protection.

We all take it so different. It would be so nice for you to have your trip and recharge your batteries, but maybe you need to be sure if the sun is not going to burn your skin. Good luck!!

Thanks for the responses. I did my cytoxan/adriamician on my 1st go round with no problems. Now i'm just doing taxotere 4 rounds and just wanted to know about side affects because i'm going on a cruise. I know everyones body reacts different to all drugs, i was just concerned thats all about taxotere. I also understand now that taxol and taxotere are two different drugs. Some of the stories i have been reading about the taxol are horrible. But i understand that taxotere is much more mild. I'll still ask my onc to give me my 2nd dose after my cruise because i dont wanna be feeling crappy.
    This entire fight has been very scary but my onc said i'm doing great and they got all the cancer out from the breast. I will get back in touch ladies as i have more questions or concerns. Plz bare with me if i ask some of the same things over and over. I'm just scared.

Many hugs to all of you.
  • Laurie663
    Laurie663 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I had Taxol back in 2000 when original treatment began. I remember it well as it was New Years Eve and I was laying on the couch feeling like I had been in a bar fight, that was the only time throughout the 4 treatments I received I felt that way. I did have joint aches and tingly toes though.
    I have had Taxotere also, I had it with Carboplatin and also by itself. I had no real issues (I have been lucky throughout all this), we are all different though. The only constant I had was day three food didn't have much flavor but by day seven was getting back on track. My hair did come out. I took Taxotere every third week for about a year before progression.
    I did have to take a couple of two week breaks in there for schedule issues so your cruise should be ok. I also have to tell you I never had any trouble with my counts when undergoing Taxotere treatment. Hope this helps.
    Laurie
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    If you had no significant reaction to your first round of taxotere, no allergic reaction during or unusual aches, pains or general yukky feeling following your first infusion, your next ones may be equally "easy." As for the neulasta shot - yes there is some bone achiness but tylenol helped me or my PA told me to take the pain meds they prescibed for me after my lumpectomy. I've been on a cruise and know that I would want my legs in good shape for walking, dancing and just island hopping. Maybe you might want to talk to your onc. md. and ask about a postponement so you could be tip top for the cruise. Cruises are expensive and you want to get the most out of it you can. By the way, I'm the "hampster" that Joycelousie referred. I walked through hell. Hugs, Marilynn
  • babebussie
    Options
    mgm42 said:

If you had no significant reaction to your first round of taxotere, no allergic reaction during or unusual aches, pains or general yukky feeling following your first infusion, your next ones may be equally "easy." As for the neulasta shot - yes there is some bone achiness but tylenol helped me or my PA told me to take the pain meds they prescibed for me after my lumpectomy. I've been on a cruise and know that I would want my legs in good shape for walking, dancing and just island hopping. Maybe you might want to talk to your onc. md. and ask about a postponement so you could be tip top for the cruise. Cruises are expensive and you want to get the most out of it you can. By the way, I'm the "hampster" that Joycelousie referred. I walked through hell. Hugs, Marilynn

I did my 1st round of taxotere on the 20th and last night is when my frigging back hurt me so bad i wanted to take my life. The pain was so severe i couldnt move. It pounded for hours and hours. I couldnt walk, crawl, stand or do anything. Is this what this side effect is for this med? I feel better today just tired from being in sooooo much pain last night. My body has to recover from that intense pain i had in my lower back. I couldnt understand if it was the shot or a side effect from the taxotere. Whew!!!!! I will definately tell my onc that i wont do my 2nd shot until after my cruise because if this is gonna happen again i sure dont wanna be on my cruise when it does. I also didnt take any pain meds, because i know you guys are saying well did you take any pain medication. Well no i didnt. I can't swallow pills:-( so i suffered through that horrible horrible pain all because i cant swallow a damn pill. But you know what if that happens again i will have to crush up something and put it in apple sauce and take it that way. I never wanna feel that kinda pain again. I told my daughter this morning that her birth was cake compared to this pain i felt last night.
    Thanks for listening.