I have a ileostomy

Options
ladybugg
ladybugg Member Posts: 20
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Can anyone tell me the differnce between a ileostomy and colostomy? I have to wear a pouch and wafer, I don't have any control over it. It goes all the time.

Comments

• davidsonxx
    davidsonxx Member Posts: 134
    Options
    An ileostomy is an opening from the small intestine and bypasses the colon entirely. A colostomy is an opening from the colon. The ileostomy is located farther up the digestive track and the output tends to be more watery and less smelly. Otherwise they are pretty much the same. Both require a wafer and pouch because there is no control over the elimination of waste. They eliminate waste whenever it makes it to that point in the system.
  • ladybugg
    ladybugg Member Posts: 20
    Options

An ileostomy is an opening from the small intestine and bypasses the colon entirely. A colostomy is an opening from the colon. The ileostomy is located farther up the digestive track and the output tends to be more watery and less smelly. Otherwise they are pretty much the same. Both require a wafer and pouch because there is no control over the elimination of waste. They eliminate waste whenever it makes it to that point in the system.

Thank you I know that I've had mine since 2005. But I was reading somewhere that you can catherise it and not wear a pouch. But mine is nothing but water, so I see no way to go without a pouch.