Trials

NorcalJ
NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi! My Dr. suggested a chemo trial since I'm doing all this at a university and one that is an NCI. The meds are all the same as I'd get otherwise, but the frequency is different. Has anyone done a trial? Would love to hear how you made the decision and what you've experienced.
Jan

Comments

• seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    My Sister went through treatments at M.D. Anderson in Houston, TX for 6 years. She participated in several trials. She did it for the following reasons: a)she had a more tradtional approach the first time and she had a recurrence b)she did not have good insurance, and it helped her afford the latest and best treatments c)she appreciated the opportunity to help others through her experiences. I am convinced that she lived 6 years instead of 6 months, as predicted, because of the treatments she was recieving.

I have not decided to participate in any trials at this point, but I have told my Dr. to feel free to include any non-personal information about my treatment in any way that might be useful in furthering the knowledge base.

It is a very personal decision and only you can make it, but maybe this will help some. seof
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I would have, if I could have. With 2 primary site cancers, different treatments, no one would touch me....
    I have heard, tho, that one of the good things about trials are that you are watched much closer. I liked that.

Hugs, kathi
  • I don't know about your trial, but I do know that I received my chemo every two weeks instead of every three weeks, with a neulasta shot to boost bone marrow. My onc. explained that the more frequent infusions have a slightly better track record. AND they made getting through chemo faster. Perhaps your trial is along these lines. Best wishes, love, Joyce
  • jdubious
    jdubious Member Posts: 113
    Hi Jan,
    I did a trial - my onc told me the treatment for trials would never be "less" than standard treatment, but generally "MORE" or equal to standard protocol. My treatments were dose dense -and every week - 12 weeks of AC followed by 8 of taxol. Fine with me because I wanted to be aggressive!
    jill
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I agree...I hoped that I could be part of a clinical trial, but I didn't thave the cancer type they were testing drugs on during my treatment. Once I found out that I would receive traditional treatment PLUS new protocols, I wanted to get on board...
    It is of course a personal decision; let us know what you decide!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    KathiM said:

I would have, if I could have. With 2 primary site cancers, different treatments, no one would touch me....
    I have heard, tho, that one of the good things about trials are that you are watched much closer. I liked that.

Hugs, kathi

I have the same problem but with lung and breast cancer. They won't take me in a trail. I told my oncologist that I think someone should do a trial on survivors with more than one kind of cancer to see what ties us all together. Why do we get multiple cancers? I think the answer to that might even lead to why others get cancers even when they only get one kind. Unfortunately no one is doing that study (yet!).