lymphedema

Options
happy
happy Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am going to do bilateral mastectoy, I am really nervous about lymphedema. I am now 36 yrs old.Do i have to worry about this for rest of my life?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Hi happy.
    I think the lymphedema thing varies somewhat among us 'breastless' ladies, but here is my story:
    I had my right breast removed in 1986 followed by 10 months of chemo. I had the lymphedema in that arm for...oh,....probably 3 or 4 years. Then it gradually went away and now hardly shows up at all unless I 'overuse' my arm.
    Then I had the left breast removed in 1988 followed by 10 months of chemo and 5 weeks of rads. I had a little swelling for a few months in that arm then...nothing.
    Both arms are in pretty good shape now. My biggest challenge was in recovering complete range of movement in my shoulders after the surgery.
    Be sure to get theraputic exercises after surgery and follow them religiously.
    I had no reconstruction.
    By the way, I was 38 when all this began and will be 60 in June. You have a whole life just waiting for you out there. Go forth and ENJOY!
    Good luck and God bless.
  • poppa
    poppa Member Posts: 10
    Options
    unknown said:

Hi happy.
    I think the lymphedema thing varies somewhat among us 'breastless' ladies, but here is my story:
    I had my right breast removed in 1986 followed by 10 months of chemo. I had the lymphedema in that arm for...oh,....probably 3 or 4 years. Then it gradually went away and now hardly shows up at all unless I 'overuse' my arm.
    Then I had the left breast removed in 1988 followed by 10 months of chemo and 5 weeks of rads. I had a little swelling for a few months in that arm then...nothing.
    Both arms are in pretty good shape now. My biggest challenge was in recovering complete range of movement in my shoulders after the surgery.
    Be sure to get theraputic exercises after surgery and follow them religiously.
    I had no reconstruction.
    By the way, I was 38 when all this began and will be 60 in June. You have a whole life just waiting for you out there. Go forth and ENJOY!
    Good luck and God bless.

No one ever told me anything about this, read it all here. Per my ps today, I need to be careful the rest of my life. I travel alot for work, flight time, and must get fitted for a sleeve to keep from getting this. The doctor just said wear it each and every time you fly, no lifting heavy bags that day and you should be fine. I had a bilat mast, latissimus Dorsi Flap with expanders and only 4 nodes removed.
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Lymphedema is more of a problem when you have a regular node dissection to check for a spread of cancer to the lymph nodes. If you have a sentinal lymph node dissection, you are much better off as it will not disrupt the flow of lymph fluid as much. With either, there are certain guidelines that it is wise to follow to prevent lymphedema. Anything you can do to prevent injury to your arms helps. Anything that causes injury to your arms hurts. That is because an injury (bug bite, scratch, bone break,burn, whatever)will draw lymph fluid into the arm and the damaged lymph node system may not be able to remove it. Things they suggest: No turn-your-skin red showers or baths (including hot tubs), do use a moisturizer at least daily, wear gloves for all yard work, use an electric razor to shave underarms, wear bug spray, avoid repetitious tasks (this includes mowing the lawn), don't lift anything too heavy, treat all cuts and scratches IMMEDIATELY with soap and water followed by an antibiotic ointment, take an oral antibiotic if infection sets in(redness, hot to touch),no blood pressure or injections or blood drawn in arms that have had node dissections (you will have to have them use your legs!), get and use hot pads when using the oven, let others carry the heavy stuff, avoid shoulder purses, carry groceries from the bottom rather than twisting the handles around your fingers, do exercise (it helps the lymph system work better) but don't overdo anything. How long should you follow these guidelines: the rest of your life. Do I? Mostly, but I enjoy my hot showers too much to totally cut them out. I just try to make them shorter. I had swelling once within a month of surgery. That's when I found out that my GP had no idea what to do for lymphedema. My surgeon turned out to be the one to call. Good luck!
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    It is an individual thing. Usually more of a problem with lymph nodes removed. I had a bilateral mastectomy with 7 nodes removed on right side. Dec. 07. I had slight swelling of the right hand while I was recovering from surgery, don't notice any difference now. I do not have needles or BP done on the right side. I have noticed my grip is not as strong (can't open jars as well) and I don't move furniture by myself anymore when I vacuum or want to have a new look in a room. Otherwise, not much different. I have a friend who had only lymph nodes removed who had the whole arm on that side swell to nearly double. Doc. told her to keep a sleeve on and elevate her arm at night as much as possible. I'm not sure she did it as much as she should. For you, I say ask your Doctor and follow his/her advice, and you should be OK>

Take care of yourself, seof