New to this...

jpcollier
jpcollier Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Thyroid Cancer #1
Hello all my name is Jaye. I just returned from Iraq 4 months ago to discover I have thyroid cancer. I want to thank you all very much for all the information that you have already posted to the site. Most of my questions have been answered by reading your discussions. Thanks for helping me to realize there is a lot of support out there.

Comments

• walrus
    walrus Member Posts: 5
    hello jaye, i too had thyroid cancer but am going on 3 years a survivor this october, the treatments are very good and even in advanced stages like mine in stage 3 the outcome is good if you just think positive and follow the treatments
  • 883ldyna
    883ldyna Member Posts: 5
    Jaye: Thanks so much for your service!!! I am a navy veteran. I only did a four year commitment but really enjoyed the people and things I learned. I too am new to this website. I searched for a chat room and/or message board to ask a few questions that some folks may be able to answer. You take care of your self.
    Sincerly,
    Debbie/Chula Vista, CA
  • TexasChipee
    TexasChipee Member Posts: 6
    Hi Jaye
    I am a 4 year survivor just take life one day at a time and keep a positive attitude, family and god are a big support group.
    Take care and god bless you'
  • amyrhona
    amyrhona Member Posts: 10
    Hi Jaye,

Thank you for your service in Iraq. I'm sorry you have thyroid cancer. Keep us posted on what they are doing for you and what your exact diagnoses are and treatments. Are you being treated on base at military hospitals or a VA hospital? Just wondering. I grew up going to military hospitals and am very opinionated about the care I got there. I hope your experiences have been positive. Mine were not. I was very glad when my dad got the option to have a type of health insurance and I could see private doctors. But this was just my experience as a child. Maybe it was just me. I just would get a second opinion about my cancer diagnosis and treatment from outside the military hospitals and VA system. That's just me. No offense to the medical professionals who devote their lives to taking care of our military men and women. I just had really bad experiences.

Amy
  • jpcollier
    jpcollier Member Posts: 4
    amyrhona said:

Hi Jaye,

Thank you for your service in Iraq. I'm sorry you have thyroid cancer. Keep us posted on what they are doing for you and what your exact diagnoses are and treatments. Are you being treated on base at military hospitals or a VA hospital? Just wondering. I grew up going to military hospitals and am very opinionated about the care I got there. I hope your experiences have been positive. Mine were not. I was very glad when my dad got the option to have a type of health insurance and I could see private doctors. But this was just my experience as a child. Maybe it was just me. I just would get a second opinion about my cancer diagnosis and treatment from outside the military hospitals and VA system. That's just me. No offense to the medical professionals who devote their lives to taking care of our military men and women. I just had really bad experiences.

Amy

Hi Amy, sorry it took so long to get back to you. I am currently seeing a civilian doctor. I prefer them over military doctors because I do not have to worry about the rank factor or them trying to use it to intimidate me. With my civilian doctor he LISTENS to me and takes all of my concerns into consideration. He is not affiliated with the military so he can care less about what their policies are. I am blessed to have been referred to him. Right now they are still juggling my medication because for the past few blood test my thyroid hormone count was very abnormal. I knew it and I almost felt like I was losing my mind and having mental breakdown. Last week they changed my dosage and I feel a little better but my levels are still abnormal. But I am staying positive and praying they get me onthe right track. I just work out harder now so I do not gain more weight.