Salty Taste after chemo

Options
mgm42
mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
edited September 2022 in Breast Cancer #1
It's been four weeks since my last chemo and I still have a rotten, salty taste in my mouth. Everything I try to eat tastes salty - even the water I drink. Has anyone else experienced this? How long before it went away? Thanks. Marilynn

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Somehow, it always feels a little sad to say, no, I haven't experienced that. I don't want you to feel alone. I hope someone has some good suggestions and knowledge of a quick end to this annoying side effect. My thoughts are with you. I hope that some of the other side effects are at least going away now. love ya, Joyce
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Do you drink alot of fluids? You will find that this makes all of it better...

Hugs, Kathi
    (I drank Propel because it tasted ok, unlike many other things...but mine was more of a metalic taste.....)
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    Options
    Hi, Marilynne. Wow, it seems like you are really having a hard time with your chemo - it's not fair that it's over and you still have these side effects! (it makes me a little afraid for myself). I also have a horrible taste in my mouth after each infusion. It seems to last a long time, but then shortly before the next infusion it goes away (and then starts up again when they give the new infusion). I would describe it as almost a licorice taste (but definitely not pleasant), not salty. What do your doctors say? I am sure it will go away, but maybe it's just taking its time. As for myself, it helped to suck on coffee candies and drink water. Best of luck, Phyllis
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi Marilynn:
    I didn't have a salty taste as I did a metallic taste. You need to drink lots of fluids. It does help. I couldn't drink water by itself because it just laid in my stomach, but adding those crystal light pouches or propel pouches to the bottle of water helped and I was able to drink a lot to flush all the chemicals out. It will go away, it just takes more time for others. Hugs, Lili
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I had a mild version of the same. Some of the things I added to my water were too strong if I followed the usual directions, but adding twice as much water gave the water a bit of a taste without making it too strong, or too upsetting to the digestion. For me it all went away within the first 2 days after chemo stopped. I hope yours is gone soon.

seof
  • Juicy
    Juicy Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2017 #7
    Options
    Salty taste in mouth

it is just awful.   That is ALL i taste!   Help.

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Salty

Oh I know what you mean.  Chemo hits and changes every single thing in your body in one way or the other.  I dont know the technical reasons, I just know what I experienced.   The docs would say, Chemo goes in, it has to come out.  Water water water will flush it.  Just keep on pushing through and this too shall pass.

Hugs,

Annie

• LightningMcQueen
    LightningMcQueen Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Hello! I just had my 4th chemotherapy treatment last week. My tastes have changed each time after treatment. This time it's been an extreme salty taste, which makes me gag at times. It's as if someone poured a pound of salt on my tongue and rubbed it in. That's just one of the many side effects I'm dealing with.

The only thing that seems to help is ice cold purified water and sucking on vitamin C drops. I've learned that the more dehydrated I'm am the stronger the taste gets.