I'm new...any first time tips?

Options
Madre
Madre Member Posts: 123
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Just diagnosed with stage 3, had a colon tumor (plus a foot of my intenstines)removed 4 weeks ago. Starting chemo next week - flofox. Have to say...very emotional. I m just starting to feel better from surgery, and I don't want to be sick again. Also, planning to go back to work early July. Is anyone working while doing chemo? Thanks for your thoughts. :)

Comments

• hoagiemom
    hoagiemom Member Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm also stage III colon cancer. I had surgery and 6 months of folfox. I finished in Aug of 07. I did work during chemo. I'm a teachers aide so I did have the summer off. In the begining I even wore my fanny pack to school. As time went on it was harder so I would stay home more.I understand feeling emotional I still get that way but I made it and so will you. Take one day at a time. Rest and keep hydrated. I drank flavored water because I couldn't stand the taste of regular water. I ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Keep the faith and use this board it is a great tool and you will find some of the most wonderful people here.

Michelle
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I was also stage III - A don't know what stage III you were, I am guessing with only 12 inches gone 3A also. Many people work during Folfox treatment. I know you will see responses here. I didn't, it was hard for me. Many people would be fine going back to work in July. Sounds like you weathered the surgery very well. Emotional?? Of course, you are human. This web site will be great for emotional support. PBJ works really well and you will find what foods work for you. Take hogiemom's advice and worry about hydration and whatever food sits well. You will be fine, don't get discouraged. E-mail whenever you are. Ask your friends to help you and your family. It may take a village to raise a child and it takes a small village to help a cancer patient. Your friends and family will love asking you to help.
    Pam

p.s. feel free to e-mail me if you want to. I am 3A - and have my 6 mos. scan next week. I had a hard time but I am fine. There are many people on these boards you can turn to.
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Welcome, but sorry you have to be here. My husband was diagnosed with stage 3 as well. He had an temporary ileostomy after resection followed by more chemo. He was able to work most of the time. He worked a lighter schedule and rested when he needed to. Working when he felt like it helped keep his mind off of things. He is doing great now and has been cancer free for over a year. It is a long road, but you will be fine, you have to believe it!

Faith
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was DX stage 3A on july 06,had surgery july 20, and went back to work less that 2 months later, My days off were Tuesdays and wedsdays,and half day Mondays,because I work during the weekends, so I would go to get my chemo early Monday,go home with the fanny pack and go on Wedsday to get disconected, so actually I was asking only for half day of Monday to my employer,I would get tired one or 2 days after chemo,but people at work were the best, I'm sure the same will be with you,time went so fast, that before I knew it chemo treatments were over.So be very optimistic I started planing my next year vacation right after surgery,it;s been almost 2 years now.
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Welcome to this site. It's a great place to be for support.

I had stage 3, also, with a foot of colon (ascending) removed. Finished chemo in Oct, of last year, and now I am NED (no eveidence of disease!

Right now, probably the hardest part, is not knowing about chemo. (It was for me, anyway). Once I got through that first treatment, then I settled down.

Truth is, it isn't always easy.

Everyone reacts differently to chemo. (I'm retired so I didn't have to work).

Fatigue is the number one side effect from chemo. Just listen to your body. If you have to rest, do so.
    Also....drink water...water...water! Of course, there are other side effects as well. Your Onc nurse and doctor should tell you of some of them. Come back here and the people, here, will tell you of their experiences.

Are you getting or have you gotten a port? That worked best for me and I recommend one.

Like the others have said, eat what ever you can. Don't worry about diets (actually, they don't like for you to diet). We'll let you know what foods stayed down or tasted good.
    Your emotions are a big part of this process, too. Just get it out, cry, yell..BUT try to move on.

Do you have people to support you? If so, let them do things for you. It helps you and it lets them be a part of helping you.

Always keep your energy for moving forward and not backword!

Keep in touch. We're here to help.

Hugs
    Claudia
  • llb1601
    llb1601 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Diagnosed stage 3, had surgery Dec. 11, went back to work Jan. 21, started chemo 1/28/08 and just had my 8th treatment 5/12/08. 4 more to go. Started on flofox but had to drop the oxiliplatin (sp) after the 5th treatment. It is an extremely emotional time -postive attitude one moment and down in the dumps the next. I have worked every day except the day of chemo. Each person does react differently to chemo. My oncologist just told me Monday that my hair loss is the worst he has ever seen---but of all the side effects to have, that's the easiest one to deal with...hair grows back. This is a great site for support, so check in often. Best of luck to you in the coming weeks!
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club, but sorry you have to be hear. I was also stage III, with 1 node, now coming up on nearly 4 years since chemo, and No Evidence of Disease. I did not have oxali, it was just coming out of trials when I was diagnosed. I did have 6 months of 5FU and leuco. I worked for the first 4 months of chemo, then went out on leave for the last 2 (and I had an unrelated thyroid surgery at the end of that). For me, the toughest part of chemo was the Fatigue....major, but not too distressing if I just accepted it as part of my temporary condition, and my loss of appetite. It took a while, but I felt pretty much back to myself after a year or so. Hang in there, take each treatment, each day, each step, at a time; you will get through this, and this board was a lifeline for me with the ups and downs of this roller coaster ride.
    All the best, Judy