chemo # 2 problems, suggestions?

Options
dn220
dn220 Member Posts: 79 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
well had number 2 last Tuesday and I thought I was sick the 1st time, wrong. Still nauseated but diarrhea seems to have improved after the docs increasing me to 2 lomotil and 2 immodium at a time. Havent been able to eat anything except 1 bowl of oatmeal and a bowl of ramen noodles since Thursday. Everything I try to drink except orange juice tastes like metal. Sometimes I think I cant take being this sick, is it really worth it and still not know if I'm gonna beat it or not. I know I'm being horrible complaining but I cannot do anything. I feel like a newborn kitten or something, no strength whatsoever. I am taking my daughter with me to the grocery store and try to think of something that I might be able to eat. Dont have the strength to cook so it will have to microwaveable or cold. Any suggestions?
The skin around my stoma is so raw and irritated and I have no idea what I can use and still get the thing to stick. Any thing you guys can recommend will be so greatly appreciated.
Hugs,
Deb

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I ate bland. Yes, the metal taste is normal, although rather unsettling. I ate scalloped potatoes. Baked a big batch before chemo, put it in the fridge. Then, nuked it at whatever time of the day or night I was hungry. Also ate lightly toasted english muffins...

You must believe that it WILL work, and yes, it's worth the effort!!!

Hugs, Kathi (3 years NED on the rectal cancer...)
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Try drinking with a straw and even eating with plastic fork and spoon. Yes...like Kathi..Bland food. Rice, applesauce.

And I understand about just grabbing something to eat when you don't have the energy to make anything.

Try tuna noodle casserole or chicken and noodles. Ask someone to make it for you. People always want to help so let them. It will make them feel good about it, too!

Just try to keep your energy for moving forward!

Hugs to you and good vibes coming your way
    Claudia
  • JMARIE66
    JMARIE66 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    My husband just finished #7 of 12 Folfox treatments. It seems with each chemo, new side effects. Always the diareha, metal taste, skin peeling on the hands and feet and pain. Extra bonuses, mouth sores, swollen tongue, red face, extreme fatigue or insomnia. All that being said, IT IS TOTALLY WORTH IT!! As the chemo progresses you will be able to better manage the symptons and plan ahead. Even if there is no naseau, he takes the pill. Staying ahead of everything is key. He eats lots of applesauce, and I make a huge 9x13 dish of brocoli, cheese rice caserol on chemo days. The BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) helps with the diareha and bulky food like waffles and pancakes. Good luck and hang in there!! Wishing everyone doing chemo and radiation the best!!!
  • hoagiemom
    hoagiemom Member Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I never even liked it as a kid. My Dr said just eat whatever I could. Grape juice was my drink of choice also (warm of course). Hang in there I know it seem long but it will end and you will be able to go back to normal.

Michelle
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You will be OK. As suggested, think of all the bland things you liked as a child - pbj, oatmeal, toast. I almost lived on carbohydrates - yellow cake was a good one for me. Chemo is short, eat what you can. Campbell's chicken noodle soup was good for me too, I often didn't eat too many noodles. Don't worry too much about nutrition just find out what you can tolerate. Orange juice can be a little difficult, if you like it water it down - 1 part oj to 3 parts water. Are you alone with no one to help to cook for you? Ramen noodles make sense you probably crave the salt. Bananas can be a life saver, if only a few bites at at a time and rice - bland, can also help. Try microwaveable rice pilaf or chicken with rice. Don't worry about fruits and vegatables, this is a short period of time. Do you have any one who can help you at meal time?

I had a horrible time with chemo, I lost almost 35 pounds, You will be ok. I had someone with me all the time, which probably made it easier. Ice cream was good for me after the cold sensitivity passed. My diet was horrible, consisted of mostly carbhohydrates - they were easier to digest - baked potatoes another thing I could eat, cake-yellow, rice, whatever. I made it through and so will you. My advice - many here will disagree with me - find out what you can eat and got with that. I sought the advice of a nutitionist at Mass General in Boston, where I was treated. Her advice was "find out what you can eat, and eat it - food it fuel, it will help you fight this. We will worry about nitrition for the long term later." Great advice. Find out what works for you. Don't, don't, don't get discouraged. This is a finite period of time and will end. Also, be very frank with you onocolgist, they can adjust the meds - chemo and otherwise. You need to be very clear about what is happening to you. Everyone is different.

Pam
    Pam
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I didn't have to have chemo for my cancer, but a few years ago, I helped take care of a little girl who had leukemia. When she was on chemo, all she could keep down well was pasta. Plates and plates full of it.

Good luck, dear!

Gail
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    In regards to the Stoma question, are you using the appropriate cleansing wipes and adhesive wipes that you order with the flange and bags? The cleansing wipes help with the removal of the old adhesive and the adhesive wipes is what makes the new flange stick. I was told not to use lotion in the area of the flange due to adhesive situations and my husband would cut out a small circle of flange material that would butt up against the stoma for comfort. If this area got read, irrated or small bumps appeared I would use Zinc Oxidiod (sp?) that you can get over the counter at the pharmacy. I got if from Wal-Mart. It comes in a white, red, black looking tube.