Beast is Back for Mom

Options
dee42
dee42 Member Posts: 23
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone...I haven't posted in awhile, but I do read the posts almost daily...Brief hist: 78y/o mom dx'ed in 03 cc cancer...3 recurrences, and a total of 4 surgeries..did two rounds of chemo..had to stop each time..didn't tolerate it very well. Last dx'ed in 06 stage III, 9 out of 17 pos nodes...she's just had a year and a half clear and just had pet scan...not very good news: showed uptake in a few areas (liver, head of pancreas and uptake in nodes near left kidney which is causing urine blockage to her bladder). Her onc is recommending having a stent inserted so urine can flow to her bladder and to also begin Irinotecan...wants her to have port installed next week...initially, she was discouraged from doing treatment, but after a family meeting, she has agreed to move forward and keep fighting...Her onc says he feels treatment will slow any new growths and possibly shrink the existing...this bumps her up to stage iv as well...

While trying to remain positive and upbeat around her, I am devastated inside...I've been crying most of the day, but trying to keep a stiff upper lip in her presence...She's been such a trooper these past five years and so very, very brave. I've been a wreck! This is truly a rollercoaster of a ride that has truly taken it's toll on me, but I can't give up...she's my mom and such a good mom..I just hate this disease that has no respect of persons...She was never a smoker, drinker, always ate right and has remained in good health prior to the last five years.

Does anyone have any info on side effects of this chemo? Onc says diarhhea, bloodcounts, fatique & hair loss...are these pretty manageable? Any advice is greatly appreciated and sorry for the long post and thanks for allowing me to vent.

Dee

Comments

• pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience with this chemo. But my heart goes out to you and your Mom. I will offer up a prayer for your Mom and for you, I think caregivers have a very hard role to play.
    This is a great place to vent. Feel free.

Pam
  • sladich
    sladich Member Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Dee,

I was put on Irinoten for my second recurrence. The first treatment I did not tolerate well. I was in the hospital for a week with severe abdominal pain. The second dose was reduced and I had no problems. Best of luck. This must be very difficult for the family right now.

Debbie
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    (((((Dee)))))
    I'm sorry that I don't know anything about the chemo, but after reading your post, I wanted to let you know how sorry I am that your mom and your family have been facing such a tough fight. I lost my dad to this disease 7 years ago, after 3 years of fighting, and my heart is still sad.
    Keeping you all in my prayers, Judy
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I'm sending my best hugs to you both. Hopefully, this new chemo will be tolerated better, and can ride herd on the cancer.

Please keep us posted.

Hugs, Kathi
  • apache4
    apache4 Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi! Sorry to hear the bad news. I know how devestating it can feel. I went three months or so NED from STage IV and then a follow-up CT scan showed some new growth. We were all a bit upset. The Irinotecan was my 2nd chemo regimen and will be part of my third. (Oh..I am 64 and a grandmother of 5 and mother to 2. dx 6/06 and on chemo most of the time.) Anyway, the Irinotecan was OK for me. I did have a great thinning of hair, again, and am tired, but no upset stomach, etc. Everyone is so different that you just don't know how she will react until she gets at least 2-3 treatments. The port is a wonderful thing and she will be thankful she has it. At Stage IV, you need it lots. The docs. are good about giving meds to manage side effects as long as they are told about the problem. I spent my first 16 rounds being superwoman and that is not a smart way to go. Remember that all treatment decisions should be hers to make and be respected. That is one thing I am thankful my kids do for me. I think us older Moms like to put up a brave front when really it can be quite the burden some times. I, too, ate well, excercised, and never missed days of work for colds or flu until this. Mine was found to be genetic...sometimes we can't avoid the challenges we are faced with.
    I will be praying for her and your family...you will find the strength to help her and she will find the strength to make the correct decisions for herself.
  • dee42
    dee42 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    apache4 said:

Hi! Sorry to hear the bad news. I know how devestating it can feel. I went three months or so NED from STage IV and then a follow-up CT scan showed some new growth. We were all a bit upset. The Irinotecan was my 2nd chemo regimen and will be part of my third. (Oh..I am 64 and a grandmother of 5 and mother to 2. dx 6/06 and on chemo most of the time.) Anyway, the Irinotecan was OK for me. I did have a great thinning of hair, again, and am tired, but no upset stomach, etc. Everyone is so different that you just don't know how she will react until she gets at least 2-3 treatments. The port is a wonderful thing and she will be thankful she has it. At Stage IV, you need it lots. The docs. are good about giving meds to manage side effects as long as they are told about the problem. I spent my first 16 rounds being superwoman and that is not a smart way to go. Remember that all treatment decisions should be hers to make and be respected. That is one thing I am thankful my kids do for me. I think us older Moms like to put up a brave front when really it can be quite the burden some times. I, too, ate well, excercised, and never missed days of work for colds or flu until this. Mine was found to be genetic...sometimes we can't avoid the challenges we are faced with.
    I will be praying for her and your family...you will find the strength to help her and she will find the strength to make the correct decisions for herself.

Many thanks to all of your for all of your words of encouragement, advice & support...I do feel a bit better right now..however, I'm up and down...My mom will be going next week to have her port put in and will start treatment shortly thereafter...hopefully she'll be able to tolerate the treatment and it will be successful...We are very optimistic and my mom's in very good spirits, taking this like a real trooper. She is very outgoing and probably more active than I!

Any further info on this chemo, diet, or any tipsfor her would be appreciated...thanks again to you all...God bless you

Dee
  • livefreeordie
    livefreeordie Member Posts: 45
    Options
    dee42 said:

Many thanks to all of your for all of your words of encouragement, advice & support...I do feel a bit better right now..however, I'm up and down...My mom will be going next week to have her port put in and will start treatment shortly thereafter...hopefully she'll be able to tolerate the treatment and it will be successful...We are very optimistic and my mom's in very good spirits, taking this like a real trooper. She is very outgoing and probably more active than I!

Any further info on this chemo, diet, or any tipsfor her would be appreciated...thanks again to you all...God bless you

Dee

The port is minor surgery (for a good surgeon), and is well worth the time and trouble. It was outpateint surgery (for me), and heeled up quickly. It makes the treatments go much quicker and smoother..

As for Irinotecan, everyone is differant, but I dont have any problems with it, and I didnt lose any hair...
    It sounds like she has the right attiude, and shouldnt have any problems..

Good Luck!

-d