Lingering Side Effects

Options
mgm42
mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I finished my final round of chemo three weeks ago today (cytoxan/taxotere) and the last round left me with a ton of side effects including neuropathy of my hands and feet, a thickening then peeling of the skin on my fingertips which left them tender and sore, ingrown thumb nails, lifting and sore finger nails, a salty taste in mouth, and achiness in my lower back and legs. I've called my PA and all she says is that these side effects take time. Has anyone else experienced some or all of these? Will you please tell me your experiences? I'm starting to get depressed by all of this. I start my radiation in 3 days and am so upset that I'm still suffering from my chemo. I could just cry. Thanks, Marilynn

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Peeled my own toenails off last week. They were essentially wigs on my toes, and underneath were the baby toenails of the future. I write you such an unattractive detail to let you know, your baby better self has been born, it will take time for her to grow, but she will. There is a teaching in my chasidic Jewish religion that a seed has to rot in the ground before new growth springs. Please, Marilyn, consider the first steps of your new growth. The lingering side effects are masking the struggle and triumph of your body to regain. Your hair is growing, your new finger and toe nails are growing, your body is soon tossing off the winter and spring is growing! On an equally disgusting (as the toenails) note, I noticed yesterday that I needed deodorant again. Rebirth, regeneration, its just under the surface. Hang in there. I am telling you the truth from just a little further down the road. Radiation is a cupcake next to chemo. I have made friends with my time slot mate. I hope that you meet some nice supportive people. DO NOT GET DEPRESSED! Get better. It is so fabulous to see how your body will push your mind out of the way and grow better on its own. Like it knows just what to do. And it does. You will see.
    love through thick and thin toenails, Joyce
  • mgm42
    Options
    unknown said:

Peeled my own toenails off last week. They were essentially wigs on my toes, and underneath were the baby toenails of the future. I write you such an unattractive detail to let you know, your baby better self has been born, it will take time for her to grow, but she will. There is a teaching in my chasidic Jewish religion that a seed has to rot in the ground before new growth springs. Please, Marilyn, consider the first steps of your new growth. The lingering side effects are masking the struggle and triumph of your body to regain. Your hair is growing, your new finger and toe nails are growing, your body is soon tossing off the winter and spring is growing! On an equally disgusting (as the toenails) note, I noticed yesterday that I needed deodorant again. Rebirth, regeneration, its just under the surface. Hang in there. I am telling you the truth from just a little further down the road. Radiation is a cupcake next to chemo. I have made friends with my time slot mate. I hope that you meet some nice supportive people. DO NOT GET DEPRESSED! Get better. It is so fabulous to see how your body will push your mind out of the way and grow better on its own. Like it knows just what to do. And it does. You will see.
    love through thick and thin toenails, Joyce

Boy, I love you. You always seem to know the "right" thing to say. Hugs, Marilynn
  • CindyPR
    CindyPR Member Posts: 36
    Options
    MGM,
    Understand as it is hard, as chemo is hard. What cancer did you have. As stage 1 both breasts, chemo and ratio. Am here to help. Best thing be positive, as that is the best. Am here friend, let me know.
    Cindy
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    Options
    mgm42 said:

Boy, I love you. You always seem to know the "right" thing to say. Hugs, Marilynn

Marilynne, just read your post about the lingering side effects. I think the worst thing is not knowing what will happen to us or when. I remember how you talked me out of depression when I had that pain under my arm from the mastectomy WHICH IS NOW COMPLETELY GONE. Then I remember my fear at losing my hair, and now that it has actually happened, I don't feel afraid. What is scary is the unknown. Trust your doctors and the other people on this post that it is just temporary. My thoughts are with you. Phyllis
  • lfly
    lfly Member Posts: 50
    Options
    If you cry let tears of joy flow.
    You've finished the hard part. If the side effects last aren't they just a small price to pay?
    I've had chemo in '01 and '06. In '06 I was told i was terminal with stage IV breast CA mets to bone and lung. I had radiation in '06 to lumbar spine and again in April '08 to Thorasic spine as that is where the breast CA spread to. I have extensive nerve damage, chemo brain where my short term memory is affected and some of my long term memories are gone, i am disabled now because of the damage to my spine. I've lost my hair twice,I've lost some finger and toe nails.
    I am here today. ALIVE! I still have a 13yr old daughter to raise. I don't plan on leaving just yet and it won't be without a good fight.
    I had a tough time dealing with all these side effects last fall as i'm only 39 yrs old. i used to be nonstop physically active and always working and mother of 3. Can't do alot of what i'm used to but i've found a new life where i'm comfortable again.
    All the changes are livable today it just took some time to adjust and be grateful that i'm alive today.
    Try to be positive. Cry if you need to. I cried oceans of tears. Fear and uncertainty almost consumed me. Find a safe place to scream if you need to. Whatever it takes to let the frustration out. My spiritual support group and many friends helped me through all these changes. They still help me.
    Every day is brand new for me. A chance to make a difference.
  • mgm42
    Options
    CindyPR said:

MGM,
    Understand as it is hard, as chemo is hard. What cancer did you have. As stage 1 both breasts, chemo and ratio. Am here to help. Best thing be positive, as that is the best. Am here friend, let me know.
    Cindy

Cindy, I had Stage 1, invasive ductal carcinoma and my tumor was 1.7 cm. Had a lumpectomy and no node involvement, thankfully. I was shocked when I needed chemo as I believed I would only have radition. I'm concerned because the taxotere seems to have attacked my nervous system both with the allergic reactions, then with the neuropathy. I'm just so sick of hurting. But, its not in my nature to stay "down" for too long. I'll hang in there. And like "iffy" said, I will learn to adjust. I'm no stranger to pain and aches. After 8 surgeries for a variety of things, I know I'll get through this, too. But thanks for caring. It means a lot.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    I had the very same side effects as you...and they lasted for longer than I wanted them to. The neuporathy in my ANKLES was debilitating...I could be in the car for a few minutes, and when I got out, I had to steady myself and wait for 10 seconds before attemping to walk. Ditto going to the movies, or out to dinner. Lo and behold...one day I noticed I wasn't numb! Haven't been since.

I also had the toenail peel, and dry skin. Emphasis on the word HAD. As my body eventually weaned itself from the effects of the chemotherapy which killed my cancer ( YAY!!!!) I became the woman I once was....

This too shall pass truly applies as regards chemo related side effects.

Full steam ahead with your radiation!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • loisbarrie
    loisbarrie Member Posts: 12
    Options
    lingering side effects
    yes, I lost all of my hair and a good number of my nails. I had neuropathy and bone pain. And I had the peeling...my doc called it "hand and foot syndrome". I took neurontin for pain control,and she had me wear gloves and socks with valsoline. Most hand lotions have alcohol in them...which dries skin further. So, just good old vaseline. It didnt' keep it from peelng, but it did help with the cracking and hurt from that. For the record, my skin is all ok now, and I have all of my nails back except for my big toes. I have the nail tech put fake ones on those. ha