Frustrated...

Options
TY2HC
TY2HC Member Posts: 46
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I need to vent a little. I have been having pain/discomfort for almost 3 months now on my left side. I had a colonoscopy in Feb. which was fine for the most part. They found a couple of polyps, one with high grade dysplasia. Ever since that colonoscopy I have been having at the least discomfort. At one point I was in the ER with extreme pain. I had a ct scan done and it came back mostly normal, but with a little swelling in my colon. The ER doctor wanted to keep me for observation but I asked what are you going to do for me, to which he replied nothing we are just going to give you IV pain medication and watch you. So I declined the stay at the hospital. I asked the doctor at that time if he thought it was due to constipation, because this is what I have been told by my regular doctor in the past. He said that he did not believe in the constipation diagnosis because he has seen too many people get diagnosed with constipation and come in later and lose their life.

Since that ER visit I have seen my regular doctor 4 times, I have been taking miralax every day for almost 3 months and have followed what I was told to do. Most recently I talked with my regular doctor and he felt that because of the length of time it was time to do some more test. Specifically, a virtual CT(colonoscopy). So I waited to get the call to schedule it and after a week I called and asked what was going on. The nurse had no idea why I needed to have the procedure done. She then called my GI doctor and they had no idea why it needed to be done.

At this point I bipassed my regular doctor and started to deal with the GI doctor. At my appointment with the GI doctor he said that the reason it wasn't scheduled was my insurance said they wouldn't cover it. I explained I would work with the insurance company and we came up with a treatment plan. Within 30 minutes after my appointment, I called them back with news that my insurance will in fact cover the scan. They then sent the referal over to the virtual ct department.

After a week of not hearing from them I called the GI folks back and asked what was going on. Again, I was told to wait and see that they were probably needing approval from my insurance.

Today I get a call from the virtual ct folks and they indicate that they had to decide why I needed the scan to be done and now that they finally agree that I need to have it done because of my history and they now need to send it to their insurance verification department to get it approved.

I feel like people think that I am faking this pain. I didn't ask for it, it just is. I feel like people are more worried about covering their own a..es and not focused on patient care. I feel like patient care is controlled by the insurances companies that could give a damn if you recieve the necessary care. I feel like when you have cancer doctors then decide that if you question why you have a pain for three months you must be paranoid that any little pain means your cancer is back. So they should just pacify you to get you to go away. I do not believe this. All I want is the courtesy that I deserve as a human being. I have tried to be patient and treat the medical professionals with respect.

I apologize for the lenthy post and my rant. I just needed to get it off of my chest. Otherwise, I fear I would say something to the doctors that would delay things even further.

Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I for one, totally understand how you feel. There is sooo much beurocratic BS that we, the patient, gets lost in it. I'm currently fighting SSI because they have been refusing me aid since they've decided my stage III cancer should be cured within a year. Getting doc appointments has always been a hassle because i have three or four oncologists who never seem to agree on treatment strategies, or simply do not communicate with each other, or me! And as far as insurance? You're completely right...THEY are the real geniuses in control of our treatments. My insurance has refused to pay for medications my doctors have prescribed because the doctors felt i needed them, but the insurance company didn't think so!

It's really crazy out there, and it does seem like we are $$ signs rather than human beings with a serious illness who need and deserve any help other human beings who are in a position to help, can give.

I could go on and on about the beurocracy. And it does help to vent a little. It makes it easier to gather the strength to challenge them. As long as we can keep the stress from causing us more sickness, we can defeat them, AND our cancer! Don't feel bad about demanding what you deserve. Those docs, AND the insurance company work FOR YOU! This is your life they're screwing around with. Demand that test NOW! Screw them if they think you're being paranoid. They haven't gone through what you've gone through, and if they can't understand that, it's their problem, not yours.

Let me know how they react to a cancer survivor on the warpath!

Many hugs,
    Krista
  • rmap59
    rmap59 Member Posts: 266
    Options
    So sorry you are having to deal with these insurance/doctor delay issues along with everything else. Health insurance is my pet peeve. We pay a big premium for lousy insurance and then have to fight for coverage. Back to you, you know when something is wrong with your body so demand that test a.s.a.p. What is a virtual colonoscopy?? Sounds spaceage!
    Good Luck Chris.
    Robin
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    A few questions. Did they remove any polyps? Did your pain begin after the colonoscopy? Have you had any surgery? Have you had a bowel movement? Have you tried stool softener?

The reason I am asking these questions is because sometimes minor boo-boos can happen during routine colonoscopies that can perforate the colon and cause a slight leakage. Don't want to scare you, but it can happen.
  • TY2HC
    Options

I for one, totally understand how you feel. There is sooo much beurocratic BS that we, the patient, gets lost in it. I'm currently fighting SSI because they have been refusing me aid since they've decided my stage III cancer should be cured within a year. Getting doc appointments has always been a hassle because i have three or four oncologists who never seem to agree on treatment strategies, or simply do not communicate with each other, or me! And as far as insurance? You're completely right...THEY are the real geniuses in control of our treatments. My insurance has refused to pay for medications my doctors have prescribed because the doctors felt i needed them, but the insurance company didn't think so!

It's really crazy out there, and it does seem like we are $$ signs rather than human beings with a serious illness who need and deserve any help other human beings who are in a position to help, can give.

I could go on and on about the beurocracy. And it does help to vent a little. It makes it easier to gather the strength to challenge them. As long as we can keep the stress from causing us more sickness, we can defeat them, AND our cancer! Don't feel bad about demanding what you deserve. Those docs, AND the insurance company work FOR YOU! This is your life they're screwing around with. Demand that test NOW! Screw them if they think you're being paranoid. They haven't gone through what you've gone through, and if they can't understand that, it's their problem, not yours.

Let me know how they react to a cancer survivor on the warpath!

Many hugs,
    Krista

Thanks for the support. I will let you know what the outcome is. I am sorry to hear about your struggles. Maybe if we get enough angry patients they will have to listen.

Chris
  • TY2HC
    Options
    rmap59 said:

So sorry you are having to deal with these insurance/doctor delay issues along with everything else. Health insurance is my pet peeve. We pay a big premium for lousy insurance and then have to fight for coverage. Back to you, you know when something is wrong with your body so demand that test a.s.a.p. What is a virtual colonoscopy?? Sounds spaceage!
    Good Luck Chris.
    Robin

A virtual colonoscopy allows the doctors to see both sides of the colon. It is basically a ct scan specifically designed to look at the colon. The problem is it can't pick up small polyps and if they see something wrong they will need to do a regular colonoscopy. It sort of is space aged as far as insurance is concerned. Thanks for your support.

Chris
  • TY2HC
    Options
    nudgie said:

A few questions. Did they remove any polyps? Did your pain begin after the colonoscopy? Have you had any surgery? Have you had a bowel movement? Have you tried stool softener?

The reason I am asking these questions is because sometimes minor boo-boos can happen during routine colonoscopies that can perforate the colon and cause a slight leakage. Don't want to scare you, but it can happen.

They removed 2 polyps. One had high grade dysplasia. That one was in the area of my pain. The are that my colon was a little swollen was in the area where this polyp was. I have been on the Miralax (which is a stool softener) for about 3 months. The constant pain started after my colonoscopy. I had pain off and on for about 6 months prior. I asked my GI doctor if that polyp could have been causing that pain and he said no. I have had bowel movements since this started some indicate that they are coming through an area that is narrow. No need to worry about scaring me, I am aware of the perforation potential. They say I am not exhibiting the symptoms of a perforation or a complete blockage. I had a partial resection done about 5 years ago when I was diagnosed with cancer. Thanks for your questions and support.

Chris
  • TY2HC
    Options
    I have learned a lot about being strong since joining this site. There are so many people going through a lot worse than a little pain. They do so with courage, strength, and grace. I have tried to do so as well. I appreciate the opportunity to vent. I needed to do it. Thanks again for the support.

Sincerely,
    Chris
  • Limey
    Limey Member Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Chris, your post is written as a patient that is frustrated, yet trying to show respect to your medical team. I would print out your post and bring it in to you doc and read it to him/her. It is important they understand how thier patient feels. often they do not realize all the steps we are going through. If you doc has a shread of quality, they will address your post and make sure you have no more problems.
    rattle them up a bit
    good luck
    Mark
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Chris, I hope you get some answers SOON. I,too, have had pain. Mine has been pretty constant since my surgery in November. I'm having a colonoscopy on Wed., because my doctors feel it would be good to take another look. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. Let us know what you discover.

Gail