Procedure?

Options
Fergus2007
Fergus2007 Member Posts: 109
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I asked my brother to tell me this story 4 times already - but it's not making a heck of a lot of sense to me.

My brother took our father to an urban hospital today to have those hemorrhoids-from-hell taken care off.
(Our father was diagnosed stage 4 last August, started a chemo study drug in Sep, wound up in the ICU with blood poisoning in Dec, returned home Feb., started Xelada pills at 50% strength in Feb., and has been suffering terribly with hemorrhoids)

The doctor at the hospital decided that since he had a scope in he might as well have a look at this tumor everybody has been talking about.
He called it a "residual growth" after examination and said he took a biopsy of it.

I guess it was just the doctors medical curiosity?!
... or is that procedure?
The doctor is in no way linked to the cancer hospital - but of course knew he was dealing with a cancer patient and knew the location of the tumor.

(My father has not had a CT scan to check the tumor since he started chemo.)

Comments

• apache4
    apache4 Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Did you all find out the results of the biopsy? That might be very interesting.
  • Fergus2007
    Options
    apache4 said:

Did you all find out the results of the biopsy? That might be very interesting.

Not yet. this just happened today.

My father also informed us that pictures where taken . - I had no idea that could even be done ... .
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes...pics can be taken. I have an award deserving close up of my ghastly tumor, oozing blood everywhere, and practically pulsating off the page. He also took snapshots of my little polyps which were much less frightening. I think if the doctors find any growth at all, they are obligated to biopsy it. They can't afford to be complacent. It doesn't necessarily mean it's cancer. So did your father have surgery to remove the original tumor, and that's where the new growth is?

Many hugs,
    Krista
  • Fergus2007
    Options

Oh, yes...pics can be taken. I have an award deserving close up of my ghastly tumor, oozing blood everywhere, and practically pulsating off the page. He also took snapshots of my little polyps which were much less frightening. I think if the doctors find any growth at all, they are obligated to biopsy it. They can't afford to be complacent. It doesn't necessarily mean it's cancer. So did your father have surgery to remove the original tumor, and that's where the new growth is?

Many hugs,
    Krista

No surgery at all. This is the original tumor - after the 3 rounds of xelada and a couple of rounds of the study drug.
    All Of a sudden it's 'residual growth'.
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options

No surgery at all. This is the original tumor - after the 3 rounds of xelada and a couple of rounds of the study drug.
    All Of a sudden it's 'residual growth'.

Wow, I don't blame you for being totally confused. I don't understand why they haven't taken the tumor out? Does your father understand what's going on? If i were you, i would accompany your father to one of his doctors appointments, and have them explain the what not. I'm finding that doctors are incapable of saying "i don't know, let's get another opinion". If you and your father are unable to get a straight answer, or at least a satisfying answer, i would request a second opinion. Your father has the right to do that.

Keep us posted!

Many hugs,
    Krista
  • Fergus2007
    Options

Many hugs,
    Krista

I thought he had found another tumor as well.
    ... but my brother informs me that the location of the "residual growth" (as outlined by the surgeon that nixed the hemorrhoids) is in the exact location as the tumor WAS discribed to be in by the oncologist.
    I guess since the oncologist figures the cancer has spread to liver and lung already; they might as well shrink all of it with chemo.

My father is happy not knowing all that much detail - and is perfectly fine with my brother and I doing all the research and questioning.

I'm just plainly confused by the hemorrhoid surgeon checking the tumor (for one), then doing a nother biopsy, and calling it "residual" (after only a few very weak round of chemo).
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options

Wow, I don't blame you for being totally confused. I don't understand why they haven't taken the tumor out? Does your father understand what's going on? If i were you, i would accompany your father to one of his doctors appointments, and have them explain the what not. I'm finding that doctors are incapable of saying "i don't know, let's get another opinion". If you and your father are unable to get a straight answer, or at least a satisfying answer, i would request a second opinion. Your father has the right to do that.

Keep us posted!

Many hugs,
    Krista

I agree with Krista...you need to get a first-hand report of what's going on. Then you can make an informed choice.

Surgery isn't necessarily the first choice anymore with colorectal cancer. I had chemo/rads first to reduce the tumor, for instance, before my resection. More interestingly, all the tissue removed was cancer free. I must say, tho, mine was squamous cell carcinoma in the rectum...

Hugs, Kathi
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options

I thought he had found another tumor as well.
    ... but my brother informs me that the location of the "residual growth" (as outlined by the surgeon that nixed the hemorrhoids) is in the exact location as the tumor WAS discribed to be in by the oncologist.
    I guess since the oncologist figures the cancer has spread to liver and lung already; they might as well shrink all of it with chemo.

My father is happy not knowing all that much detail - and is perfectly fine with my brother and I doing all the research and questioning.

I'm just plainly confused by the hemorrhoid surgeon checking the tumor (for one), then doing a nother biopsy, and calling it "residual" (after only a few very weak round of chemo).

Well,
    Maybe it has shrunken considerably despite his bad luck with the chemo. It is good that this doctor took the initiative to explore that area further. It will be interesting what the pathology report says. I guess all you can really do is wait for the results and go with your father to that appointment so you know what is going on.
    Best of luck!
    Susan H.