I'm doing "Relay for Life"!

Options
crg123
crg123 Member Posts: 80
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
OK ... I've been lurking for some time. Still read you guys about 2-3 X's/week. My history for you newbees... Stage IIIa CC diagnosed with a routine colonoscopy on Halloween 2006. Left hemicolectomy, then had 9 out of 12 scheduled rounds of FOLFOX. FOLFOX discontinued because of severe peripheral neuropathy one year ago. I then had two rounds of Xeloda. Finished treatments June 2, 2007. This past November I started back at the gym to which I belong. VERY slow at first, because I was having trouble walking related to the peripheral neuropathy. Today, I do 3 miles/day on the eliptical. I also work with a personal trainer for strength training, and do stretching exercises. I can hardly detect any neuropathy in my hands. My feet still tingle alot, but they don't HURT. My gait is now strong and steady. Best of all, I'm NED!!!!!!!!!!
Had quite a thrill recently. Was asked to give the opening ceremony speech at "Relay for Life" in my community on May 17th. I'm soooo excited! Hope I can keep my composure during my speech. (I cry when I get sentimental!) The American Cancer Society was VERY good to me during my illness. With ONE phone call, they sent me literature, magazines, coupons to wellness and beauty seminars. They also offered to drive me to my chemo and doctors appointments if I needed it. They sent me my survivor's pin. They told me about this board, for which I will be ever grateful. You guys got me through some very rough times. You KNOW I'll be mentioning you during my speech! God bless you all, and think of me on May 17th!
Cheryl

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! I will be sending strong vibes on the 17th!!! Don't worry about tears there...it is a part of it...I did the luminaria walk speech...choked up many times...

Hugs, Kathi
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Have a great day on the 17th, I too was stage 3A and couldn't finish the folfox for a variety of reasons but am NED at six month. The 17th is also my Dad's birthday - he died of melanoma - very unexpectedly 10 years ago. I will be rooting for you.,

Pam
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Good for you, Cheryl! I'm co-captain of a local Relay for Life team here. I spoke last Friday to a school group about my diagnosis/surgery in November. I'll be crying on the 17th, too, because it'll be my first Relay as a survivor.
  • crg123
    crg123 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    pamness said:

Have a great day on the 17th, I too was stage 3A and couldn't finish the folfox for a variety of reasons but am NED at six month. The 17th is also my Dad's birthday - he died of melanoma - very unexpectedly 10 years ago. I will be rooting for you.,

Pam

Pam
    What is you Dad's name? I'll light a luminaria for him. (His own little light shining in Michigan.) Cheryl
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Cheryl,
    How cool is that!! I know what you mean about crying. I really don't think I could talk because I can cry reading a greeting card!! I do better an emailing my thoughts. I'd have to have a power point presentation.hehehehehe

I was stage 3 also. Have been NED since this past December.

You go, girl!
    Claudia