new post surgery

Options
poppa
poppa Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just had bilateral surgery with temp tissue expanders on the 21st. Question is..... I have a feeling of super tight chest, tingle (not painful but close) in tricep area, I can only lift arms to shoulder level and still have two drains in. Sounds like a mess doesn't it :) I I have invasive dutcal carcinoma in left breast with atypical cells in right. Nodes negative. Dr's are hoping for just hormonal therapy, did surgery to avoid chemo. I have two grown children living out of state as with rest of family. How long do you feel like a total mess? I can't seem to be able to cry around people, its easier in shower and when alone, feel kinda guilty when it could be worse. Thanks for letting me vent :)

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi Poppa:
    Sorry to have to welcome you here because it means that you also have the demon like us, but welcome to our group. I had the same feeling in my chest after my mastectomy and reconstruction. But you should mention it to the dr when you go back. As for the arm lifting, my dr had me crawling up the walls with my fingers until I was able to raise my arm above my head. Ask your dr, when you should start doing them. They really help in stretching your arms and with mobility. I would say that I generally felt better about 4 weeks after the surgery. I had my mastectomy last June and I can say that every now and then I still cry in the shower. That too will pass. God Bless, Lili
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You have every right to vent! When we get a cancer diagnosis, our whole world is turned upside down, our body shape changes, and our schedules and plans are put on hold. All that change is a major stress whether you get chemo, radiation, or not. You are lucky, but it may take months or even years to "feel" that way. I also had early stage cancer with a mastectomy followed by hormone treatment. I've learned how lucky I am as the years have passed, but at least the first year I was sure I was a goner. I am still not exactly thrilled to have cancer, but after 5 years I'm finally sleeping through the night (well, except for the 3 AM bathroom run!). As for the physical stuff, it gets better with time. It was about a month before I could carry a load of dry laundry and about two more weeks before I could pull small weeds in my garden. I think somewhere at about three or four months, I turned over in bed without thinking about it. (I was so excited I woke up and did it again with no pain!). The nerve tingling did eventually go away. Light massage made the nerves fire all at once and then they would stay quiet for a period of time. Of course, don't massage anything without your doctor's okay. You probably won't get that until all the drains are out and things are well-healed. As for the gee why me feeling, I think that sounds perfectly normal considering all you have been through. If it lasts for more than two months and starts really getting in your way, you can ask the doctor for help. But try exercise (starting with light walking) and talking to other survivors first. Finding out you are reacting perfectly normally to a totally abnormal situation might make you feel better.
  • poppa
    Options
    cabbott said:

You have every right to vent! When we get a cancer diagnosis, our whole world is turned upside down, our body shape changes, and our schedules and plans are put on hold. All that change is a major stress whether you get chemo, radiation, or not. You are lucky, but it may take months or even years to "feel" that way. I also had early stage cancer with a mastectomy followed by hormone treatment. I've learned how lucky I am as the years have passed, but at least the first year I was sure I was a goner. I am still not exactly thrilled to have cancer, but after 5 years I'm finally sleeping through the night (well, except for the 3 AM bathroom run!). As for the physical stuff, it gets better with time. It was about a month before I could carry a load of dry laundry and about two more weeks before I could pull small weeds in my garden. I think somewhere at about three or four months, I turned over in bed without thinking about it. (I was so excited I woke up and did it again with no pain!). The nerve tingling did eventually go away. Light massage made the nerves fire all at once and then they would stay quiet for a period of time. Of course, don't massage anything without your doctor's okay. You probably won't get that until all the drains are out and things are well-healed. As for the gee why me feeling, I think that sounds perfectly normal considering all you have been through. If it lasts for more than two months and starts really getting in your way, you can ask the doctor for help. But try exercise (starting with light walking) and talking to other survivors first. Finding out you are reacting perfectly normally to a totally abnormal situation might make you feel better.

Thanks for the support, didn't think it was going to "hit" me like it did. I have a job that is wonderful and I do love it, great friends and a special man that is being very supportive with my mood swings. Thats why I tried to pick a positive sign in name; power of pretty postive attitude. I found this site by accident and so glad that I did!!!! I will feel better when the path reports and blood work comes back. Path report from surgery was not very well written and oncolgist and surgeon wanted more info. Hate the not knowing, patience is not a virtue of mine :)
  • hward2007
    hward2007 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    poppa said:

Thanks for the support, didn't think it was going to "hit" me like it did. I have a job that is wonderful and I do love it, great friends and a special man that is being very supportive with my mood swings. Thats why I tried to pick a positive sign in name; power of pretty postive attitude. I found this site by accident and so glad that I did!!!! I will feel better when the path reports and blood work comes back. Path report from surgery was not very well written and oncolgist and surgeon wanted more info. Hate the not knowing, patience is not a virtue of mine :)

Welcome, I am 33yrs Have a 14mth old to chase and did 4 rounds of A/C then three weeks off to have a bilateral masctomy with reconstion, I have expanders, the nerve pait or what ever that crazy sensation you get if your touch from the belly button up is a litteral pain, I had 4 tubes, got them out ahead of schedule but on my first expansion a weekago I was still to sensitive and my baby girl had gotten a few wacks at me in the process, I felt better after the tubes were out but it was a week later (today) that I got my first refill or expansion. Do the exersices your dr. sugesst it sucks don't over do it. but like the other post this two will pass..
    Heather
  • poppa
    Options
    hward2007 said:

Welcome, I am 33yrs Have a 14mth old to chase and did 4 rounds of A/C then three weeks off to have a bilateral masctomy with reconstion, I have expanders, the nerve pait or what ever that crazy sensation you get if your touch from the belly button up is a litteral pain, I had 4 tubes, got them out ahead of schedule but on my first expansion a weekago I was still to sensitive and my baby girl had gotten a few wacks at me in the process, I felt better after the tubes were out but it was a week later (today) that I got my first refill or expansion. Do the exersices your dr. sugesst it sucks don't over do it. but like the other post this two will pass..
    Heather

OMG, I have no idea how any of you guys do it with small kids, but I guess thats why we are women, we can do anything. I had a lat dorsi flap on both sides. I had necrosis (?) flap skin not taking, had hyperbaric treatments we think thats working. I was hoping to get the first expansion this week when tubes out, but I guess they wait a week after that. Just ready to start my road to the finish line :)
  • Unknown
    Options
    This is a very rough time and it is natural that you would feel overwhelmed emotionally. Cancer is a frightening thing to go through and it exhausts you mentally and physically. You have to allow yourself to express your fear and frustration. I was never a crier but after having cancer I would often cry at the drop of a hat. Its 2 yrs. later and though not as often, I still get down and emotional and can't really explain why. I think it is the after shock of the cancer experience that takes a long time to subside. Give yourself time and some pampering and it will eventually get better. Take care, Eileen.