prosthesis??

Options
rmap59
rmap59 Member Posts: 266
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all,
I have been listening in but post mostly on the colorectal site since that is what I had. My Mom was dx with breast cancer 8 weeks ago, masectomy and femara is what she has done. She was fitted with a bra and prosthesis last week, hates it because it hurts, the prosthesis is very heavy and weighs on her shoulders and surgical site is very sore. Please comment on any products and or experiences with the bra and prosthesis? When she was fitted it felt okay but after a few days she was in misery. Course the Cancer facility where she got it said you cannot return it so she is stuck with it @$200.00 plus dollars. Anyway, replies are appreciated.
Robin

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    My inusrance pays for a prosthesis and replaces it every three years. Perhaps you might check to see if yours does and you can be reimbursed. I also "qualify" for three bras a year. Beyond that I can't help you as my prosthesis matches my other breast in size and they are both lightweight! (B cup). I did however, get a cotton stuffer prosth. at Nordstrom's right after my mas. when I got tired of stuffing a sock in my bra(and again, due to small size it was a bobby sock) and the cotton ones are relatively cheap and much lighter. I hope your mother finds a quick and comfortable solution. Love, Joyce
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    You could go online to American Cancer Society website and see if there is a local chapter where you could go talk to someone about fitting and what they have available. Otherwise look at the TLC catalog (free from ACS) They have a lot of different stuff you can order. Of course ordering by mail or online you cannot get a person to help fit. I am doing reconstruction, so I have not paid much attention to that kind of thing, but I have spent money on hats from them. The hats are very comfortable and attractive. Another idea might be to ask her surgeon for other options on prostheses (nurses are also a good source of info, they specialize in making patients comfortable).

Another thought: It won't help your Mom with recovering the cost, but one option for the one she cannot use might be to see if she can donate it to your local ACS.

Another thought...It might bother her less after the surgical site heals...I really don't know.

I am sure you will get more help from others on this site on this topic. best whishes for you and your Mom. seof
  • 3cbrca
    3cbrca Member Posts: 206
    Options
    Hi Robin

I wish I had encouraging words. I have so many breasts in my drawers it is ridiculous. The regular ones were like bowling bowels around my neck and caused underarm swelling. The light weight "sports and fitness" ones are great in a swimsuit, but if you try wearing them with a bra, they ride up with every step until they are sticking out of your collar bones.

Some months ago, I went to Target and bought a bunch of fitted cotton tank tops and gave up on the whole thing. I plan to donate them and all of the mastectomy camisoles, bras,etc that cost a fortune along with the wig that I wore just a few times until that was too uncomfortable.

I wish I had known more about these things before I invested a fortune. I have $1000 worth of breasts alone!! A $650 wig and at least $600 worth of mastectomy bras and camisoles (I kept trying to find the one that worked). They should let you try them out - for God's sake - they'll let you test drive a $30,000 car - why not breasts and wigs!
    S
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different things that can cause soreness. She may not be sufficiently healed even though it has been two months. We all heal at different rates. If that is the case, she may be more comfortable with a batting-filled breast pillow prothesis. I had that after my intitial breast surgery and used it again when I had chest surgery for something else four years down the road. I found that the prothesis cover made a great "pillow case" that I could stuff with polyester batting and put in my bra. It has been 5 years, but I remember feeling that the bra they said fit correctly felt much too tight. They said my old bra had been too loose. Well, they might have been right, but I hate being uncomfortable. I went to the sewing store and got some bra extenders folks use when they are pregnant or go up a size. They cost about a dollar or two. I had gotten prothesis bras that had hooks both in front and in back. I put the extender in the back and adjusted it to my level of comfort. As the bra aged (or maybe I got better) I was able to put the extender in the drawer where it now stays. Lymphedema can also set in and cause swelling that could make the bra fit tighter than it should. The bra should be snug, but not leave a red line or cause pain if it fits correctly. Some folks are built large and the prothesis they have to wear is heavy. There are foam protheses, air-filled protheses, and hollow-backed protheses (usually used for swimming. I have seen bras that come with built-in foam prothesis so that they won't ride up. My neighbor down the road preferred shoulder pads in her bra. I'm small and like my silicone prothesis. My neighbor also preferred a sport bra from Walmart for 7 bucks. She said she could safety pin the shoulder pad in and feel comfortable. I like my mastectomy bra. Good luck finding out what works for your mom.
  • babs49242
    babs49242 Member Posts: 193
    Options
    If you decide to donate anything you can take it off your taxes, just get a reciept for the donation.
    If you know the size of the prosthesis you can look in the TLC catalog for lighter ones, or check to see if you have an'angel closet' in the area for free ones,bosum buddy group also has free items.
    I used the stuffed ones until I healed completely. nowa days I usually go with out....
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

My inusrance pays for a prosthesis and replaces it every three years. Perhaps you might check to see if yours does and you can be reimbursed. I also "qualify" for three bras a year. Beyond that I can't help you as my prosthesis matches my other breast in size and they are both lightweight! (B cup). I did however, get a cotton stuffer prosth. at Nordstrom's right after my mas. when I got tired of stuffing a sock in my bra(and again, due to small size it was a bobby sock) and the cotton ones are relatively cheap and much lighter. I hope your mother finds a quick and comfortable solution. Love, Joyce

Joyce, you crack me up!!! Bobby sock!!! Thanks for making my day....

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    After my mom's mastectomy, she went without anything, just wearing her 'normal' bra, and loose fitting tops till the incision was healed.

I don't know if this will work for your mom, but there it is. With my experience, I just had a lumpectomy, so I don't count in this discussion...lol...

Hugs, Kathi
  • Skybuf
    Skybuf Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Dear Robin.....I've been down this road with my prostethesis hurting...all around the body where the band goes and on the insision. I was a DD and mine are heavy too, What I do is....put on a T-shirt first and put the bra on next, that keeps is away from my skin and put a blouse or sweat shirt over that, works nicely.....but I know summer is coming and might get warm.....so I'll go without in the house and only put 'the harness' on when I go outside......:) works for me
  • LindaR48
    LindaR48 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    You don't mention what size your mom is. After I had my surgery I wore a fiber filled prosthesis until I was healed enough. They don't weigh as much as the silicon prosthesis. These can be found on the TLC website. I hope this helps.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi Robin:
    I wore a prosthesis for 8 months until I had my reconstruction. The first one I bought was very heavy and like your mom, I felt very sore. I then purchased a swimming one which was 3/4 lighter and did not weigh on my shoulders as much. Tell your mom she will be sore at the mastectomy site for about 8 to 12 weeks and then she'll be all right. My surgeon did not want me wearing anything until 8 weeks after surgery. Till then, I wore these cami type tops that I purchased in Nordstrom and they had cotton stuffers. My insurance co, gave me unlimited purchases and fortunately Nordstrom was within my network as these items get to be very pricey. Tell her it will eventually get easier. God Bless. Love, Lili
  • Unknown
    Options
    NEWS FLASH!!!
    NO WAY should your mother be wearing a weighted prosthesis this soon after mastectomy. What were they thinking?
    I lost both breasts (at different times) and it was months before I could wear the weighted ones. So in the meantime I wore foam ones and loose bras and loose shirts when I went out and NOTHING at home (well a shirt I mean, but no bra...LOL).
    Tell her to put that thing in a drawer and get a foam one or use wadded pantyhose or whatever for awhile. Geez...I can't believe this. Somebody dropped the ball here big time.