I'm back....

Options
littlejulie
littlejulie Member Posts: 311
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi there, I joined this network over 4 years ago when my mom was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer. I'm happy to say she is still cancer free but devastated to say that I received horrific news today. My 32 yr old cousin just got diagnosed with colon cancer and it doesn't look good, it has already gone to his liver. His father, my uncle and mom's brother, died from colon cancer 8 years ago and I just can't believe this is happening. He has lost a lot of weight over the past 2-3 years but he was watching what he ate. He went to get checked and we all assumed it was chrones or colitis. Not this.....again and HOW can it hit someone so young? We all assumed he would not have to worry until he was at LEAST 40. I know there are stage 4 survivors on this website and I need to hear from you. Stacey, I know you're one of them. Maybe I can introduce my cousin to this site for some help and support.

Comments

• shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hi Julie,
    I don't know if you remember me. I joined this forum six years ago when I was diagnosed at the age of 31. I don't know how "it" can hit someone so young, but sadly it does. Well, I'm still alive and NED! I had one big met on my liver and two on my right lung. It took 2 1/2 years all together, but I ended up cancer free and so can your cousin. I know there are others on here too, besides Stacy and me. I would encourage him to look here and also on the Colon Cancer Alliance website. There is also the colonclub.org.
    They are all good places to find support and other survivors.
    A lot has changed since his father died, 8 years ago!
    Tell him to have faith!
    -Susan H.
  • TY2HC
    TY2HC Member Posts: 46
    Options
    I just wanted to say tell your cousin to be strong. I was 27 when I was diagnosed with stage 1. I wish him and your family all the best.

Chris
  • katienavs
    katienavs Member Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi Julie,
    I was 24 when I was diagnosed with stage iv. It had already spread to my liver. But I am cancer free today. It took 13 rounds of folfox, five and a half weeks of chemoradiation and two surgeries. I am leading a wonderful, productive, happy, and healthy life today... less than two years removed from my diagnosis. There is so much hope for your cousin and I hope he can find support and optimism on this site.
    Katie
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Hi littlejulie! I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin. So many of us were young at the time of our diagnosis. I was 38, but my onc says i probably had it for five years. I read that 5% of colon cancer diagnosis' are under age 50, but i think that percentage is growing much higher. I am a HUGE proponent of people with ANY family history of the disease to get colonoscopies as early as their twenties. The insurance companies are horrible about granting these unless there is a close relation who's been diagnosed. I hope that you are getting them since you do have very close relations with colon cancer.

Your cousin's young age is actually a good advantage to defeating it. His doctors will be very aggressive with his treatment, and his chances for survival will be very high. Others have mentioned how much treatments have improved over the years, and less people are succumbing to the disease.

My best wishes for your cousin! Please do send him to this site. He can find comfort here, and tons of hope.

Many hugs,
    Krista
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Julie,

I am SO happy to hear that your mom is still doing well! And how is married life treating you? I remember seeing the pics from when you, Lisa Rose & Andyman met...SO COOL!

I was diagnosed @ age 33, also with liver mets. I am 6 and a half yrs clear, so tell your cousin to email me and I'll whip out the pom poms! A huge chunk of the semi colon family is still around so let him know that we're ready to jump in with the support!

Hugs,

Stacy
  • littlejulie
    littlejulie Member Posts: 311
    Options

Julie,

I am SO happy to hear that your mom is still doing well! And how is married life treating you? I remember seeing the pics from when you, Lisa Rose & Andyman met...SO COOL!

I was diagnosed @ age 33, also with liver mets. I am 6 and a half yrs clear, so tell your cousin to email me and I'll whip out the pom poms! A huge chunk of the semi colon family is still around so let him know that we're ready to jump in with the support!

Hugs,

Stacy

Susan of course I remember you, I'm so happy to hear you are doing well. That is wonderful. Even though I haven't posted I sometimes lurk on the site but don't post.

Chris, Katie and Krista, thank you so much for posting and sharing your story. I need to hear some positive thoughts to combat the horrific news.

Stacy!!!! Married life is wonderful and I now have a 8 month old son. This network (the people) was always a great comfort to me but I must say it was really nice to get away from the board and live a little. I knew I would be back here but I just didn't think it would be for my cousin. Once I talk to him I will let him know about the wonderful people and stories on this network.

Thanks again! Keep posting! I would love to hear more!