breast scan

Options
galoo
galoo Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
we just lost our health insurance, need a ct scan.can anyone who lives in the miami fl area suggest a place that will work with me on self pay?

Comments

• cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't live in the area, but I have a few ideas. Places you would call around here might work there too. First I would call the closest branch of the National Breast Cancer Coalition, because one of their mandates is to get care to those who can't afford it. You could also call the cancer organizations in your part of the world. I would also try a social worker at your hospital where you go for treatment. The social workers who work with hospitals know where to go for financial assistance. That is one of the important jobs they do. They do not give the money to the patients, but they can act as a liason between the patient and the outside agencies that want to help. That's where I would start. Good luck!
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry this has happened to you. Cancer is scary and frustrating enough, without having to worry about the financial aspects of it too. I don't have any suggestions to add to what cabbott said...I agree with her.

You are in our prayers. seof
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I just thought of something else. You did not mention how you lost your insurance, but if it was through the lost of a job, you may qualify for government assistance. Don't dissolve at the thought of food stamps, rental assistance, medicaid, and the like. You paid for this when you were working. Now you need help. Have you applied for disability? Cancer that causes you to lose your job MAY qualify as disabled in some circumstances. That could lead to a regular monthly check and insurance. You have to go to the social services office and get in line for help. They don't do anything over the phone here and the lines are not short waits, but the help can be a godsend when you need it.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    ...and call 1-800-ACS-2345. They are there 24/7.

There is something called 'COBRA' for job lost employees...BUT, I agree with cabbott, talk to your treatment center...

Hugs, Kathi
  • CatheS
    CatheS Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Try CancerCare.org